CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

01 CL600 engine vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL600
01 CL600 engine vibration

I recently experienced a rough running engine followed by a check engine light. Im just out of warranty, but I went ahead and took it to the dealer because I figured worse case could be a while and I like the loaner car option. Sure enough, not only did the right coil pack need to be replaced, but apparently they found an internal oil leak. I pick the car up and no engine light, but still an engine vibration like its misfiring. I take it back and now they are telling me its the engine mounts. Mind you there was no vibration throughout the car, just the engine, prior to the check engine light coming on. I know its not the motor mounts. My question is does anyone have any advise on talking to either the service manager or general manager, because this smells suspiciously like the classic run up the tab deal here from my "new" service person. My previous one, who was good and pretty honest, moved to sales. Any advice on approach anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
I would grab my old tech off the sales lot and take him for a drive. Don't say a word about anything just let him make an evaluation.

Originally Posted by P ONE
I recently experienced a rough running engine followed by a check engine light. Im just out of warranty, but I went ahead and took it to the dealer because I figured worse case could be a while and I like the loaner car option. Sure enough, not only did the right coil pack need to be replaced, but apparently they found an internal oil leak. I pick the car up and no engine light, but still an engine vibration like its misfiring. I take it back and now they are telling me its the engine mounts. Mind you there was no vibration throughout the car, just the engine, prior to the check engine light coming on. I know its not the motor mounts. My question is does anyone have any advise on talking to either the service manager or general manager, because this smells suspiciously like the classic run up the tab deal here from my "new" service person. My previous one, who was good and pretty honest, moved to sales. Any advice on approach anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML63, e550 cabrio
FYI, I had nearly the same problem, on my S600, changed coil pack OK, but engine vibrated, I changed both motor mounts myself, vibration gone. Do not know how many miles your car has on it, but mine only had 68K. After I took the engine mounts off, you could see the cracks in the top of the mounts. I would also suggest replacing the transmission mount. takes about 30 minutes DIY. Dealership will tell you 6-7 hours for motor mounts, I did mine in 3 hours without knowing what to expect, put it on lift and did all the work myself. saved $$$ The CL and S are similar in these aspects as they have the same chassis and parts. there are plenty of threads about this on the W220 site.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 03 CL 600 is just approaching 72K and no vibration yet but I know that I will have to replace the engine mounts at some point.

What is a fair price of having this service done (at dealer rater or certified benz shop rates)?

Originally Posted by xliemx717
FYI, I had nearly the same problem, on my S600, changed coil pack OK, but engine vibrated, I changed both motor mounts myself, vibration gone. Do not know how many miles your car has on it, but mine only had 68K. After I took the engine mounts off, you could see the cracks in the top of the mounts. I would also suggest replacing the transmission mount. takes about 30 minutes DIY. Dealership will tell you 6-7 hours for motor mounts, I did mine in 3 hours without knowing what to expect, put it on lift and did all the work myself. saved $$$ The CL and S are similar in these aspects as they have the same chassis and parts. there are plenty of threads about this on the W220 site.