CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Adaptive Tranny - How long to adapt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Adaptive Tranny - How long to adapt?

Assuming a reset to factory setting on the ECU/TCU, how long does it take for the car to learn "me"?

And if I drive sporty just occasionally, and boring and smooth the rest of the time, what's the net result?

After I had owned my car for a month or so, I first started noticing its aggressive downshifts while I was braking. When I learned that the car adapts to my driving style, I concluded that it wasn't doing that when I bought it, but has learned to now, since I often brake pretty aggressively and get right back on the gas (jack-rabbity, I suppose). That explains why I really notice it now, but didn't feel it at first. And it is very noticeable.

I just tried it. So based on my vast knowledge of the universe in general , it appears that the more sedate you have "trained" it to be, the bigger the bang you will get from the reset. I noticed a clear difference. Stays in gear longer. Yellow triangle on more. Rips pretty good, and downshifts fast and abruptly. But these differences weren't the revelations that others have experienced.

Although, when I first got the car, it sure felt a lot more sedate than it has for the last few months. I'm sure part of it was the dead Intercooler Pump and the super hot weather, but I have noticed that it has improved dramatically over time, even in hot weather. It's even better now, with the reset, but it was already way better than when I got it.

Last edited by JHouse; 11-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.