CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Killer chiller going in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Killer chiller going in

I live in so ca and its warm here from time to time.
I just bought a Killer chiller, have done as much research as I can without the unit installed. I'm not sure at all where I can mount the unit given these 65s are plum packed tight everywhere.

My thought is to install a second AC system, which in this car will be a tight fit. My first impression is to move the electric air pump else where and install the pump there. I'm also looking at the second radiator as a good place to install the condenser at least one of them. The rest will not be an issue.

My research tells me I can get a 3,000 BTU compressor which will fit in the spot picked out. Fabing up brackets will be interesting but a challenge is always fun. I will take pictures.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:38 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Quite the project. Looking forward to updates!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
You and stockC43 should be talking he's a MB Tech and just bought a KC to install on his S600

I will point him this way.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM

Cl65 AMG
Its one thing to modify an old Porsche 914. When I found something didn't work out I would just weld it back up or remove the system.

Starting a project like this on this car I find myself pushing down the feeling of impending doom ! Sounds nuts but I just keep telling myself its just a car !

I've found most areas such as this one appear big enough but areas shrink when you start trying to work in them. HST, at this point it looks large enough to slip a compressor in.

There are areas to attach the bracketry for the compressor. They too are tight.
I'm looking at a ford RV compressor, its got good numbers but haven't seen the size numbers as yet. The reason I want this system is so the car always has cold air, at least most of the time.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
Personally, I think you are over thinking it. The stock ac compressor will be enough to run the KC. Even if you get it mounted, then you would need a reciever drier, condencer (if you can fit it) and fan. The factory fan wont switch on/off with kc compressor either, like it would with the oe compressor. I have yet to start my KC install because I've been buisy with other things. Otherwise I would have better info on how to install it on a m275 215/220. On my 220 the ac lines for my rear ac unit run in the rear of the left fender well. I think there should be enough room to cram the KC in there. For fittings, if you cut the hard line you can use compression fittings to splice into the factory lines. Also, the factory rear a/c cars use a ac shutoff valve. It's a simple solenoid valve. If your worried about overloading your ac compressor, you may be able to use one to shut off the main evaporator. Ex "race mode" if you want. When I install mine I will make a list of all the extra parts I used. Good luck, this is new territory for these cars
Ps, I would have more info but I'm posting this on a phone
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 AM

Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by stockC43
Personally, I think you are over thinking it. The stock ac compressor will be enough to run the KC. Even if you get it mounted, then you would need a reciever drier, condenser (if you can fit it) and fan. The factory fan wont switch on/off with kc compressor either, like it would with the oe compressor. I have yet to start my KC install because I've been buisy with other things. Otherwise I would have better info on how to install it on a m275 215/220. On my 220 the ac lines for my rear ac unit run in the rear of the left fender well. I think there should be enough room to cram the KC in there. For fittings, if you cut the hard line you can use compression fittings to splice into the factory lines. Also, the factory rear a/c cars use a ac shutoff valve. It's a simple solenoid valve. If your worried about overloading your ac compressor, you may be able to use one to shut off the main evaporator. Ex "race mode" if you want. When I install mine I will make a list of all the extra parts I used. Good luck, this is new territory for these cars
Ps, I would have more info but I'm posting this on a phone

stockC43,
Thanks for the input ! Your likely right about the over-thinking. I will have a hard time finding suitable places for the extra parts needed but I think I can.These cars don't have much room for add ons. Thanks for reminding me about the compression fittings. The 65 doesn't have a rear AC system, at least not one I know of. Repair manuals are also hard to come by. I think installing the base Chiller is the best way to go. There I can evaluate the systems operation first. I just like the idea of a stand-alone system dedicated to preform one task. The 914 I built had 500 hp and I installed an ac system from scratch, but building the power steering system was the most challenging add on I built. I used a VW Jetta steering rack & a Toyota MR2 electric power steering pump. Built the steering linkages etc. I really enjoy the building process. Looking forward to see the two projects come together.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:51 AM

Cl65 AMG
My killer chiller is gone "AWOL"

The fool I bought it from has flaked out. I am now involved in a EBAY dispute. I want the unit but I may just have to buy a new unit from there website. Its going to take some time to get a refund via EBAY. I've been using EBAY for years and never had a problem, always a first time .
Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Cl65 AMG
Ebay came through and refunded me 100%. I am now going to make one.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Make a killer chiller? Pics and details please!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Cl65 AMG
I haven't had much time to devote to my chiller project. I did get a chance to start building the ice box. Its about 11" long and 4 1/2" high. I am going to seal around the evaporator to make the water pass through the fins. I am going to install the chiller as the original "killer Chiller" does and see how it works. I'll evaluate adding another complete a/c system later. I am using an oil cooler, not sure how that will work but I'm installing it in a donor car first. Its not much fun working without real cutting tools LOL. I converted my Lincoln 180 MIG to work with aluminum. Installed a spool gun etc. I produce ugly welds but they will do.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 AM

Cl65 AMG
another picture, haven't decided on a location for the coolant/water yet. I am thinking placing the unit in the car and then pick the best spot.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Cl65 AMG
I know this a bit late in the project but hunting around for a place to install this cooler made me think about just what it is. Again I'm building something backward. I think the unit needs to be close to the intake heat exchangers so using a brick like I have built wont pass the first requirement. Second it needs to be away from heat, that I could likely place it satisfactorily. I need to build a shape that fits close to the target first. I guess a tight coil of aluminum thin wall tube would do the job as well as the bar and fin because its water not air. Guess I'm backing up and redesigning.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
You need to figure out where your going to mount it, run the lines and work around those dimensions. Why not just buy a KC unit from Joe Kincaid?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 PM

Cl65 AMG
I could buy one just like torturing myself on second thought sounds like a good idea.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by driveability
I could buy one just like torturing myself on second thought sounds like a good idea.
What are your mod goals for your car or what mods do you have now? Lot of easy ways to drop IATS with simple bolt on pumps, heat exchangers and even headers help a lot. If you want to build something, then I would focus on building a new intercooler under the blower and streamline the air tubes to the air tanks.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Cl65 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
What are your mod goals for your car or what mods do you have now? Lot of easy ways to drop IATS with simple bolt on pumps, heat exchangers and even headers help a lot. If you want to build something, then I would focus on building a new intercooler under the blower and streamline the air tubes to the air tanks.
I don't have many mods, just a bigger IC pump. I do want to get an engine and trans tune. My goals are to lower intake air temps, keep the engine happy. Blower ? not sure what you mean ? I do have a CL65 not a
CL55 if theres some confusion. I like what I see in the picture . What do
you have going on there ?