CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

05 /06 cl55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
land rover defender
05 /06 cl55 AMG

i'm curious... i look in autotrader and there are 05 and 06 cl55 AMG 's for less than 20 k $ some in the high teens. if i remember correctly that's a hell of a car that was 100K $ or more when new... how can they be worth less than a average toyota corolla now ? and these cars have 60- 80k miles and look perfect...

whats the deal with these...?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Because your first year ownership upkeeps could exceed those "teen" numbers!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Once these cars fall out of warranty the upkeep cost for maintenance as things wear (ABC suspension, etc) is very high.

It forces the prices down.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:35 PM

land rover defender
are you saying they are unreliable or that routine maintanance is just way too expensive or required way to often ? do they have know , big ticket issues ?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by stevesxm
are you saying they are unreliable or that routine maintanance is just way too expensive or required way to often ? do they have know , big ticket issues ?

They are only unreliable because the owners neglected the maintenance on them and refuse to repair/replace parts when needed. Once the things have been repaired they are good vehicles. You should know considering you are currently driving one of the most unreliable vehicles on the road LOL.

R.K.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I am approaching 120,000 miles on my '03 CL55. It has been a fantastic vehicle and quite reliable even with all the electronics.

Normal maintenance (other than tires) is not much of an issue money wise.

I go through front tires every 20 - 22,000 miles due to the negative camber that the suspension geometry employs. Rears last approx 35,000 miles if you aren't too pedal heavy.

ABC suspension components can be pricey and need to be changed at some point. Hoses, ABC pump, etc. Seems the average life span of the ABC tandem pump is about 75,000 miles.

The brake rotors aren't cheap, but I got 100,000 miles out of mine so when you factor the cost per mile it actually ends up being low on that point.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Like awiner said. ABC is good until around 75,000 miles and then just about everything needs to be replaced. At least, that was my experience: Pump twice and almost every soft hose. If you don't do the work yourself or have a very good independent, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg at the dealership.

The cost to replace the ABC components is more expensive than an engine in many cars. The CL depreciates like a rock because the ABC is so expensive to repair and has such a short lifespan before you start having major issues.

Don't get into a CL unless you are prepared to spend $10K or more in maintenance costs over the next three years. You could possibly stop some of the issues by proactively replacing all the soft ABC hoses but it's still a crap shoot with the tandem pump. If that goes bad, it will introduce contamination into the system that will clog the control blocks and struts. It's a domino effect that takes your wallet for a ride.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 PM

2003 CL55 AMG; 2007 BMW X5 4.8; 1971 Mustang; 1966 Mustang; 1968 Triumph Spitfire
They are fantastic cars for the money on the used market. They depreciate like a rock. In addition to the cost of maintenance out of warranty, once a new body style comes out, the rich guys get the itch for the new one and start shedding the old.

They have some pretty exotic systems that can be expensive to repair. I don't believe they are any more expensive to maintain than any other $125k car, and cheaper than some. But don't expect that they will be inexpensive to maintain. Don't get one that you can't get a full service history on. You will want to know that it has been maintained properly.

Awiner, how in the world do you get 20k+ miles on a set of tires? I get 8k on the rears. Granted, I put on pretty aggressive compound tires.

I'm at about 125k miles on my '03, and I have spent around $5k a year maintaining it the last few years. I've had to replace the ABC pump, EIS module, transmission mounts, engine mounts, trunk hydraulics, door closers, tires, a full set of brakes, plugs, a few sensors, the steering wheel bumpers that had gone sticky, the wood in my center console (darned kids), and a few other things. I have had the wheels refurbed and my front bumper and grille replaced (darned wife). None of it was cheap. But I love this car and will likely ask to be buried in it.

Last edited by weasel_atty; 08-29-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by weasel_atty
Awiner, how in the world do you get 20k+ miles on a set of tires? I get 8k on the rears. Granted, I put on pretty aggressive compound tires.
I drive like an old lady now

When I was tuning Pilot Sport 2's I would get about 14k out of a set of fronts.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Banned

2003 cl55 amg, 2008 Range Rover Sport SC
They are fantastic cars for the money on the used market. They depreciate like a rock. In addition to the cost of maintenance out of warranty, once a new body style comes out, the rich guys get the itch for the new one and start shedding the old.

They have some pretty exotic systems that can be expensive to repair. I don't believe they are any more expensive to maintain than any other $125k car, and cheaper than some. But don't expect that they will be inexpensive to maintain. Don't get one that you can't get a full service history on. You will want to know that it has been maintained properly.

I'm at about 125k miles on my '03, and I have spent around $5k a year maintaining it the last few years. I've had to replace the ABC pump, EIS module, transmission mounts, engine mounts, trunk hydraulics, door closers, tires, a full set of brakes, plugs, a few sensors, the steering wheel bumpers that had gone sticky, the wood in my center console (darned kids), and a few other things. I have had the wheels refurbed and my front bumper and grille replaced (darned wife). None of it was cheap. But I love this car and will likely ask to be buried in it.
Wow I get 5k on my rear wheels!!! Lol dang. The cl is an exotic car. I've owned my cl for one year and probably put 5k in maintenance. Abc pump just got replaced 1k miles ago. Im in the search of a new car. Best advice. Get service records. Make sure abc pump was replaced recent!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 AM

land rover defender

geeze that doesn't seem out of line at all for 125 k miles for a car like that....

tell me about this ABC pump, please ... is that some sort of active suspension/ ride control deal ? not rebuildable or available rebuilt or after market ?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
tell me about this ABC pump, please ... is that some sort of active suspension/ ride control deal ? not rebuildable or available rebuilt or after market ?
The ABC pump is a tandem pump that drive the ABC suspension through its high pressure side. the low pressure side drives the power steering system.

Cost of a new ABC pump is ~$1,000+ depending on where you buy it.

Labor cost to replace the pump and the associated hydraulic fluid is pricey. The pumps can be found rebuilt however the rebuilt prices generally don't make sense since if the rebuilt unit fails prematurely, it doesn't yield the cost savings of the part to go through with the labor again.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

When the abc pump fails. You will get a red dash MSG: active body control drive safely. Or visit work shop! When system fails, from experience

1. Get that stupid red light that can t be cleared.
2. Car is super bouncy and drives like ****!

Because the system is connected to the power system. Steering is affected which can cause and accident. At times depending on issue car can drop to the floor. Id have to say that on the CL the abc system is really the 3rd major component not considering motor/ tranny.

With this said make sure again that atleast this was done. If not consider atleast $3500 in repairs up front to start. They say once pump fails it a domino affects, everything else in the system falls. Don't mean to scare you. I wish I would been more educated in the w215 before i jumped in.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 PM

land rover defender
Originally Posted by 559cl55amg
When the abc pump fails. You will get a red dash MSG: active body control drive safely. Or visit work shop! When system fails, from experience

1. Get that stupid red light that can t be cleared.
2. Car is super bouncy and drives like ****!

Because the system is connected to the power system. Steering is affected which can cause and accident. At times depending on issue car can drop to the floor. Id have to say that on the CL the abc system is really the 3rd major component not considering motor/ tranny.

With this said make sure again that atleast this was done. If not consider atleast $3500 in repairs up front to start. They say once pump fails it a domino affects, everything else in the system falls. Don't mean to scare you. I wish I would been more educated in the w215 before i jumped in.
yours and other answers explain a lot. but even still... lets say you bought a nice clean 80 k miles version of one for hi teens and put 5 or 6 k in it to freshen it... thats a hell of a car for low 20's... oh well... something to consider... are the E55 AMG in the same league ?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yours and other answers explain a lot. but even still... lets say you bought a nice clean 80 k miles version of one for hi teens and put 5 or 6 k in it to freshen it... thats a hell of a car for low 20's... oh well... something to consider... are the E55 AMG in the same league ?

The E55 is a completely different car. It will be cheaper to maintain but in the looks department, it definitely not as nice looking as the CL. You also have to consider whether or not you need 4 seats or 5 and if you need 2 or 4 doors. The CL only seats 4.

R.K.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM

land rover defender
Originally Posted by radride
The E55 is a completely different car. It will be cheaper to maintain but in the looks department, it definitely not as nice looking as the CL. You also have to consider whether or not you need 4 seats or 5 and if you need 2 or 4 doors. The CL only seats 4.

R.K.

thx . i knew that as i had seen the pics but was curious more about the mechanicals.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thx . i knew that as i had seen the pics but was curious more about the mechanicals.

The engine is the same but the suspension is different.

R.K.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
The cl is an exotic car.!
no it isn't...not even close
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM

land rover defender
Originally Posted by Oliverk
no it isn't...not even close

well... that makes that crystal clear
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 PM

2003 CL55 AMG; 2007 BMW X5 4.8; 1971 Mustang; 1966 Mustang; 1968 Triumph Spitfire

I think you have it exactly right. It is an awesome motor for hatchback money on the used market. But people with hatchback budgets should not own one, any more than they should own a high end BMW, Jag, Maserati, Aston, etc. You have got to expect that something this technically complicated is going to cost $$ as it ages to maintain.
The rule of thumb for a Ferrari is $2/mile for maintenance. I would say my CL is more like 40 cents a mile at its age. But I also use the dealer. I haven't found an independent who wants to deal with things like the ABC, and I'm not sure I'd want them to.

As I recall, the E55 has Airmatic suspension instead of the active body control hydraulics. It's a nice car. But it is not in the class of the CL in my opinion. The CL is easily the best daily driver I've ever owned.

If you can find one with the ABC pump done maybe 10k miles ago, I think that would be ideal. Sometimes the pump failure can result in a cascade of problems throughout the system. I would assume that any cascade would be done by 10k miles ago. My pump didn't fail until 110k miles, and I had no further problems (knock on wood) after the replacement. Or, if you can find an '06-'07 fresh out of warranty, it likely had full maintenance prepaid and was taken care of at the dealer.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:06 AM
Banned

well... that makes that crystal clear
Well in its time it was!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Well in its time it was!
once again, no it wasn't
Old 09-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Dude do u what exotic mean?? Look it up post it up. In its time it was . MSRP 140k+ yea it's exotic. We arnt talking about a e55 or Honda civic my friend.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM

It is as exotic as an equivalent Aston or Porsche. It is not as exotic as a Lambo, Carrera GT, or Ferrari. But if you really can't drive those every day. A "high mileage" 10 year old Ferrari is at 50k miles. The CL is about the most exotic thing I'd want as a daily commuter. It's a GT car - a fast, agile, heavy, 2-door luxury car that you wouldn't mind driving 500 miles in.

Now let's define "pretty."

Dude do u what exotic mean?? Look it up post it up. In its time it was . MSRP 140k+ yea it's exotic. We arnt talking about a e55 or Honda civic my friend.

Last edited by weasel_atty; 09-01-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Banned

It is as exotic as an equivalent Aston or Porsche. It is not as exotic as a Lambo, Carrera GT, or Ferrari. But if you rally can't drive those every day. A "high mileage" 10 year old Ferrari is at 50k miles. The CL is about the most exotic thing I'd want as a daily commuter. It's a GT car - a fast, agile, heavy, 2-seat luxury car that you wouldn't mind driving 500 miles in.

Now let's define "pretty."
Agree. I think the CL is fast coupe 4 seater made not considering the Gtr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 /06 cl55 AMG