CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Losing power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
Losing power steering fluid?

So I was driving my friends E550 the other day and when I made a u-turn in the parking lot, he noticed that I had the steering wheel turned all the way around and told me that its bad for the car because when you do that you will lose power steering fluid. My other friend also said it was true but my only concern is that the w215 steering pump connects to the abc system, so does that mean we lose fluid and maybe thats the reason why our abc suspension fails? Correct me if Im wrong, just curious.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
It's bad to keep the wheel turned at full lock for 30 seconds or more. To make a U turn is fine, you just don't want to hold it for a long time. It's not because it loses fluid, it's because it runs the pump excessively. However, it is good to check your power steering fluid periodically. If it gets low, yes you will run out the pump which is bad for your ABC as well as your power steering.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
Originally Posted by saintz
It's bad to keep the wheel turned at full lock for 30 seconds or more. To make a U turn is fine, you just don't want to hold it for a long time. It's not because it loses fluid, it's because it runs the pump excessively. However, it is good to check your power steering fluid periodically. If it gets low, yes you will run out the pump which is bad for your ABC as well as your power steering.
Thanks for answering my question, learn something new everyday haha.