CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Lowering Modules harm Suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GTS
Lowering Modules harm Suspension?

So Merc. spotted my renntech lowering module on my car when repairing the front struts. The service director basically told me that this voids any warranty of parts they fit and that the excess pressure it puts on the suspension can harm it.
I have had front left strut in Feb. both struts replaced in Nov and the front right again in Dec as it was it defective. So I would normally call BS on the dealer but as they said, something is not right that those struts keep going.
So 2 questions.

Anyone know much about the Renntech lowering module. Mine is in the fuse box and I have two plug ins. One I was told (previous owner) is standard and does nothing to adjust the suspension (and of course Mercedes this is always in the car) the second one has a visible circuit board in it and an LED light and when inserted the car visibility lowers by about 1.5 inches.
My question is does anyone know if the standard version really is standard and does nothing. If it is then I can prove to Merc that there is no Modification on the car. Merc mentioned that the car is supposed to lower above 70mph and if this chip is altering that in any way then it's still and issue.

2nd question:
Merc Point of view was that lowering reduces the travel and puts more stress on the system and that is probably why mine has failed. Anyone have any opinions here or experience- I can see the logic if there is less travel in a highly pressurized system.
Going to try to call Renntech to see if I can get opinions from them.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Goodluck, let us know what u find out.
personally I didnt not use any method to lower my ride, at the end of the day suspension being the weakest link in the whole reliability of the car I did not want to over stress the system in any way, there is also the tyre wear which never even comes into consideration when people lower their rides, with CL always differentiating hight thus differentiated angle of tyre touching ground. keep it as original as possible when it comes to mechanical parts, otherwise it will always be a continuous reinvestment.
UR CAR LOOKS AMAZING ANYWAY NOT BEING LOWERED WOULD NOT HARM ITS APPEARANCE
Old 12-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL600, SL600, Quattroporte, S/C Denali, Turbo M3, H1
Well I was looking at purchasing an sl600 that had a complete Carlson package on it including their lowering module. I was going to have a local mercedes deal CPO the car and specifically asked what the modifications on the car would void in the warranty and specifically the lowering module. They checked with Mercedes and cam back to me saying that only the suspension ecu wounding be voided, no other parts in the suspension system including the shocks would be voided from coverage.

On another note I'm surprised a Mercedes dealer would void any renntech part considering most actually sell renntech accesories.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Which dealer are you working with? I might have some information that can be helpful...

If you have a good connection with your SA/ manager then sometimes they'll turn a blind eye when applying for warranty repairs.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by Simbad
So Merc. spotted my renntech lowering module on my car when repairing the front struts. The service director basically told me that this voids any warranty of parts they fit and that the excess pressure it puts on the suspension can harm it.
I have had front left strut in Feb. both struts replaced in Nov and the front right again in Dec as it was it defective. So I would normally call BS on the dealer but as they said, something is not right that those struts keep going.
So 2 questions.

Anyone know much about the Renntech lowering module. Mine is in the fuse box and I have two plug ins. One I was told (previous owner) is standard and does nothing to adjust the suspension (and of course Mercedes this is always in the car) the second one has a visible circuit board in it and an LED light and when inserted the car visibility lowers by about 1.5 inches.
My question is does anyone know if the standard version really is standard and does nothing. If it is then I can prove to Merc that there is no Modification on the car. Merc mentioned that the car is supposed to lower above 70mph and if this chip is altering that in any way then it's still and issue.

2nd question:
Merc Point of view was that lowering reduces the travel and puts more stress on the system and that is probably why mine has failed. Anyone have any opinions here or experience- I can see the logic if there is less travel in a highly pressurized system.
Going to try to call Renntech to see if I can get opinions from them.
I hate to say it but the dealer is correct on this. You have altered the suspension and now it has failed. Why it failed, doesn't matter. The dealer doesn't care. They are also correct that the CL lowers itself at highway speeds without the lowering module. Once lowered, the CL retains the lowered height no matter how fast you are going.

I have had my lowering module on my car for the past 1.5 years without any issues. Yes it probably stresses the suspension more than stock but not as much as one would think. I think there is something else going on in the car causing these failures.

R.K.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
The only physical stress it adds to the suspension is to the struts, where the built-in shocks are not designed for the lower height. From a hydraulic standpoint, it does nothing to negatively affect the suspension, and in fact probably lowers the pressure within the system as a whole.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by radride
I hate to say it but the dealer is correct on this. You have altered the suspension and now it has failed. Why it failed, doesn't matter. The dealer doesn't care. They are also correct that the CL lowers itself at highway speeds without the lowering module. Once lowered, the CL retains the lowered height no matter how fast you are going.

I have had my lowering module on my car for the past 1.5 years without any issues. Yes it probably stresses the suspension more than stock but not as much as one would think. I think there is something else going on in the car causing these failures.

R.K.
So then you should always hit 70 right when you start up the car to get it lowered eh?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
So then you should always hit 70 right when you start up the car to get it lowered eh?

No. You miss understood my post. Without a lowering module installed, the car does lower itself at highway speeds. If you install a lowering module and lower the car, it will keep that ride height no matter how fast you are going.

R.K.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:14 AM

AMG GTS
Which dealer are you working with? I might have some information that can be helpful...

If you have a good connection with your SA/ manager then sometimes they'll turn a blind eye when applying for warranty repairs.
Barrier Bellevue
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 AM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
The only physical stress it adds to the suspension is to the struts, where the built-in shocks are not designed for the lower height. From a hydraulic standpoint, it does nothing to negatively affect the suspension, and in fact probably lowers the pressure within the system as a whole.
So my problem has been with the struts. I put the blank in the car today and it popped up a whole 1 1/2 inches. I really think the car looks so much less attractive like that. I hate gaps between arches and wheels but I also can't afford to spend $2k for struts every few months.

Not sure if it could be something else affecting the failures with my struts though? have to admit i'd be surprised there were so many of these lowering modules out there if they really had such a negative effect.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No. You miss understood my post. Without a lowering module installed, the car does lower itself at highway speeds. If you install a lowering module and lower the car, it will keep that ride height no matter how fast you are going.

R.K.
It was just a joke. =] I know what a lowering module does vs. how the car behaves stock. I was just poking fun at the "free" lowering module of going 70 so you'll get the lowered look.

@simbad I see. I don't have any first hand experience with Barrier, I get all my dealer stuff done at MB Seattle on Pike St.

Do you think lowering links will lead to the same issues?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 AM

AMG GTS
Might start venturing to Seattle then. The customer service I got at Barrier was awful.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It was just a joke. =] I know what a lowering module does vs. how the car behaves stock. I was just poking fun at the "free" lowering module of going 70 so you'll get the lowered look.

@simbad I see. I don't have any first hand experience with Barrier, I get all my dealer stuff done at MB Seattle on Pike St.

Do you think lowering links will lead to the same issues?

Lowering links have the same effect as the lowering module.

R.K.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM
MBworld Guru

So my problem has been with the struts. I put the blank in the car today and it popped up a whole 1 1/2 inches. I really think the car looks so much less attractive like that. I hate gaps between arches and wheels but I also can't afford to spend $2k for struts every few months.

Not sure if it could be something else affecting the failures with my struts though? have to admit i'd be surprised there were so many of these lowering modules out there if they really had such a negative effect.
There is a shock and spring built into the strut (like a "normal" car). It will put wear on that gas shock. Nothing hydraulic related.

I have been lowered over 12,000 miles now no problems. Module for around 5,000 miles.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM

AMG GTS
Which module are you using?
how low is the drop?

And can anyone confirm that when the "blank" is in the car is not altered at all but performs at standard stock settings including the 70mph auto lower.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm using the same lowering module as the Renntech one. Mine has the remote control. I have mine lowered the full 50 mm or 2 inchs. When I turn off the lowering module via the remote, every resorts to factory.

R.K.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM

2005 cl55 eurocharged flash
Brabus module,
1.75" drop
Over 10k mile on it
Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Lowering should be strictly for posing. The car lowers itself twice- at 70 mph and 120. The lowering at 120 is the lowest the car should be at given stock height baseline. If you lower the car via das or via lowering module or links you lower the "baseline". From there the car will lower itself twice and can sit dangerously close to or on the bump stops- especially at higher speeds. This might result in suboptimal contact patches and reduction of body control.

On hurting the abc if lowered- I am not sure this is the case. Actually I think lowering reduces pressure in the abc so if anything- it will not hurt abc.

The true problem is that the suspension bushings are designed to work at stock height (and whatever lowering happens at speeds). If you lower the car all the loads on all bushings change as geometry changes. You can align for it, but I am sure the suspension will not work as it was designed and premature failure of bushing and ball joints might occur.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alx
Lowering should be strictly for posing. The car lowers itself twice- at 70 mph and 120. The lowering at 120 is the lowest the car should be at given stock height baseline. If you lower the car via das or via lowering module or links you lower the "baseline". From there the car will lower itself twice and can sit dangerously close to or on the bump stops- especially at higher speeds. This might result in suboptimal contact patches and reduction of body control.

On hurting the abc if lowered- I am not sure this is the case. Actually I think lowering reduces pressure in the abc so if anything- it will not hurt abc.

The true problem is that the suspension bushings are designed to work at stock height (and whatever lowering happens at speeds). If you lower the car all the loads on all bushings change as geometry changes. You can align for it, but I am sure the suspension will not work as it was designed and premature failure of bushing and ball joints might occur.

As far as I know, once you lower the car via module, it by passes the lowering of the car at 70mph and 120mph. If you're lowered on links, that's when the car still lowers itself at those speeds.

R.K.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 PM
MBworld Guru

As far as I know, once you lower the car via module, it by passes the lowering of the car at 70mph and 120mph. If you're lowered on links, that's when the car still lowers itself at those speeds.

R.K.
correct.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 PM
MBworld Guru

Which module are you using?
how low is the drop?

And can anyone confirm that when the "blank" is in the car is not altered at all but performs at standard stock settings including the 70mph auto lower.
I am using the Programa V2 (a.k.a. Renntech) and Lower My Air Ride links.

Here is my current lowest height with the custom rear lower control arms

Lowering Modules harm Suspension?-128-2012cnc061-x3.jpg
Old 01-29-2014, 03:56 PM

E320
Is there any way to disable the automatic high speed lowering through Star or atleast change the height settings? I will be sitting pretty low on links alone and I'm worried about the height change.

R.K.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ricky Lay
Is there any way to disable the automatic high speed lowering through Star or atleast change the height settings? I will be sitting pretty low on links alone and I'm worried about the height change.

There is no way to disable the auto lowering at speed setting via STAR.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM

E320
Without lowering links how far are you able to go with Programa?

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
I am using the Programa V2 (a.k.a. Renntech) and Lower My Air Ride links.

Here is my current lowest height with the custom rear lower control arms

Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ricky Lay
Without lowering links how far are you able to go with Programa?
2 inch or 50mm.

R.K.