CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2004 S55 AMG - Bi-xenon headlight bulb blown, i think???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
2004 S55 AMG - Bi-xenon headlight bulb blown, i think???

Hello all

The other day when i switched the headlights on i noticed one of the bulbs did not light up. Although i was inside the car i did not notice any flickering or dimming of the bulb before it went out.

Now i had the bulb replaced but to no joy, tried the same bulb on the other side and it worked. Initially i though it would be a fuse but talking to the mechanic he was not 100% certain that the bulb was in properly the first time around, and may have possibly damaged the bulb from the other side whilst taking it out. So although he tried 2 other bulobs in there, he was not sure the first one was in there properly and the second one may have been damaged.

So now im going to experiment with bulbs tomorrow.

But i have a bad feeling its actually something else. Reading on here it would seem that its possibly the ballast or the ignitor?

But whats the difference and is there any way of testing either one? Are they swapable on the other side or will they only go onto one specific headlight?

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,070 Likes on 858 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Do you realize you posted this on the CL forum?

Yes, you can swap the bulbs but the ballast/ignitor is a pain to swap. If you put in a new bulb and it still did not work, odds are it is the ballast/ignitor.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 AM

S55K AMG
Yes, i know iv put this in the CL forum, but the question is not S55 specific, its just about xenons which should be the same on the CL.

My guess is that most likely it is the ballast, but just trying to rule it out before getting any expensive parts. So if the ballast is the one underneath the headlight, whats the black/red thing which hold the actual bulb in? Could that be faulty?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
try cleaning the contacts on the bulb and the bulb socket and see if that works.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:59 PM

S55K AMG
Thanks for the suggestions but spent a few hours taking the headlights off the car and swapping various bits and bobs over. Turns out it was the ballast thats underneath the headlight. Good to know they are swapable parts i suppose otherwise it would have been a lengthy and costly journey.

Thanks.