CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL55 vs CL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 S600
I did the same thing. I was looking at a 2008 CL600, but went with a 2006 CL65AMG & purchased a extended warranty. It was 26k less for so much more car. Plus I like the W215 body alot more than the W216. But hey it's all what your personal preference is no right or wrong!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
Originally Posted by canes85
I did the same thing. I was looking at a 2008 CL600, but went with a 2006 CL65AMG & purchased a extended warranty. It was 26k less for so much more car. Plus I like the W215 body alot more than the W216. But hey it's all what your personal preference is no right or wrong!
Agreed
although private seller on the 08 CL600 just offered to sell me his
Black/black car with 18,000 miles for 53k.
The deal now looks better for me to buy the 08 for 22k more
Thoughts ??
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
PORSCHE PANAMERA TURBO LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO SL600 E55 BRABUS*SOLD*
Originally Posted by AZBENZ-CTSV
Agreed
although private seller on the 08 CL600 just offered to sell me his
Black/black car with 18,000 miles for 53k.
The deal now looks better for me to buy the 08 for 22k more
Thoughts ??
I'm also a realist (2 years is the most i keep a DD)
in 2 years the 05 cl65 will still be a 23-24k car
while the 08 CL600 in 2 years will be worth 35-36k
i only put on 7-8k for miles a year on a daily car.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:59 PM

CL55 AMG
If you keep a CL for a year or two depreciation will be the largest expense. If this is a factor the C215 would be a better buy. Had mine, a CL55, since Dec 2004 27k, now shows 121k and is still a joy to be in and drive. Have been tempted to part on a number of occasions but still pulling strongly and recently returned 30.4mpg at a steady 70mph (had time to kill), guess the motor is now run-in!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
if you get the 55 its really going to look dated when the new cl comes out. since even the current cl is starting to look dated. only thing is i fear the next design is going to be uglier than any, just look at how they butchered the new E. absolutely pituful. reminds me of a hyundai.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
The build quality and engineering of the AMG W215s does feel better than that of the AMG W216s, they aren't quite as technologically advanced as the W216s and the W216 body styling is more modern but the W216s overall don't feel quite as special as the W215s. Everything from the double knuckle door opening mechanism to the M113 engine (which is basically a de-tuned version of the M155 engine used in the SLR) in the W215 just has a more high end feel...

The W216s feel a bit watered down compared to the W215s and aren't quite as fast at stock either. If you're worried about people's opinions of you driving an 'older' model then the CL63 would be your car, if you want a better experience then the W215 would be the way to go IMO

Another thing to keep in mind though is mileage, if you buy a W215 then most of your options will have higher mileage whereas the W216s are newer and you should be able to find more lower mileage examples for sale and the new S Class Coupe (The CLs replacement) should be coming out within the next 2 years so prices on the W216s will come down and the W215s will be 2 generations old

I don't think you will be disappointment with either car though, AMG Cls are still the best Grand Touring cars around - Prices for AMG W216s are pretty low now too, you can pickup a low mileage W216 CL65 for under $70K and a CL63 for under $50K

Last edited by CharlestonN; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:19 PM

M109R
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
The build quality and engineering of the AMG W215s does feel better than that of the AMG W216s, they aren't quite as technologically advanced as the W216s and the W216 body styling is more modern but the W216s overall don't feel quite as special as the W215s. Everything from the double knuckle door opening mechanism to the M113 engine (which is basically a de-tuned version of the M155 engine used in the SLR) in the W215 just has a more high end feel...

The W216s feel a bit watered down compared to the W215s and aren't quite as fast at stock either. If you're worried about people's opinions of you driving an 'older' model then the CL63 would be your car, if you want a better experience then the W215 would be the way to go IMO

Another thing to keep in mind though is mileage, if you buy a W215 then most of your options will have higher mileage whereas the W216s are newer and you should be able to find more lower mileage examples for sale and the new S Class Coupe (The CLs replacement) should be coming out within the next 2 years so prices on the W216s will come down and the W215s will be 2 generations old

I don't think you will be disappointment with either car though, AMG Cls are still the best Grand Touring cars around - Prices for AMG W216s are pretty low now too, you can pickup a low mileage W216 CL65 for under $70K and a CL63 for under $50K

Thanks for the commentary! How did you learn about the double-knuckle door mechanism and engine? Any resources you could direct me to? I have found it a bit challenging to obtain technical data...maybe just looking in the wrong place...I'm a big stickler for interior cabin noise...I have gone so far as to use an audio meter to measure the decibel levels in a variety of cars to get a comparison. These cars are hard to find locally and it has taken me a long while to do my research. I would love to know how thick the glass is in the 55 and 63.

Having waited this long, I am contemplating waiting some more until the new S coupe comes out to see what prices do. The higher miles on the CL55 don't concern me as long as the price is right and there is some sort of proven maintenance history. Of the 4 I have test-driven this year, everyone has "felt" different....hard to find the "right" one.

I take it you have CL55? Have you worked on it yourself? I am a big DIYer and want to acquire a toy and the corresponding tools and manuals to maintain/repair properly. Other than DAS, and a few online sources, and this forum, that's the extent of repair/maintenance knowledge I have obtained. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by RoCL
Thanks for the commentary! How did you learn about the double-knuckle door mechanism and engine? Any resources you could direct me to? I have found it a bit challenging to obtain technical data...maybe just looking in the wrong place...I'm a big stickler for interior cabin noise...I have gone so far as to use an audio meter to measure the decibel levels in a variety of cars to get a comparison. These cars are hard to find locally and it has taken me a long while to do my research. I would love to know how thick the glass is in the 55 and 63.

Having waited this long, I am contemplating waiting some more until the new S coupe comes out to see what prices do. The higher miles on the CL55 don't concern me as long as the price is right and there is some sort of proven maintenance history. Of the 4 I have test-driven this year, everyone has "felt" different....hard to find the "right" one.

I take it you have CL55? Have you worked on it yourself? I am a big DIYer and want to acquire a toy and the corresponding tools and manuals to maintain/repair properly. Other than DAS, and a few online sources, and this forum, that's the extent of repair/maintenance knowledge I have obtained. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Well a good place to start would be to drive both cars

I own a CL55 and i'v driven all of the W215 models and the CL63 and CL65 W216s which is how i noticed the differences - If you look at the picture of my car in my signature you can see that the door actually opens out and pulls away from the car, this is the double knuckle hinge i was referring to - The W216 doesn't have this, just a standard door opening mechanism

I was planning on 'upgrading' to a 10' CL63 earlier this year because you could pick one up with decent mileage for just under $100K but after driving it i wasn't impressed enough to ditch my 55 but now that the 11' SLS' are around $130K i will probably just pick one of those up around the middle of next year when the prices are closer to $100K and keep the 55 since it has 4 seats

As for cabin noise - At stock the interior is very quiet and i didn't notice any difference in cabin noise compared to the newer W216, i did notice that the window glass looked a bit thinner on the W216 though, both cars have double glazed (2 pieces of glass) on all of their windows and the glass is made by Pilkington who make the glass for Formula One

I've worked on the 55 my self and for the most part the work isn't too difficult unless you're talking about the ABC system or the Supercharger which i don't recommend working on unless you have a lift and the right tools. Now a days though i usually just take it in for any work that needs to be done because i just don't like doing it myself anymore unless its something like changing a bulb, drive belts or brake pads/rotors

Either way you go i would recommend buying an extended warranty

Last edited by CharlestonN; 11-18-2013 at 04:52 PM.