CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Old resonator news

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG
Old resonator news

I had a perf muffler shop chop out my resonators and install stainless steel straight pipes today, it's a common mod on a CL to give it a beefier sound. Before the mod it was a tad too quiet for me, it sounded great, don't get me wrong, but I wanted just a bit more of a 'performance' sound when accelerating. It cost me $100 and I gave the guy a $20 tip.

Now at idle or low speed I can tell the difference, it's just slightly louder but not obtrusive. At highway speeds it drones a little but the car is so well insulated it doesn't wear on you or affect music or conversation. Even with the windows down it's a happy sound at 70 MPH, not annoying at all. It's more a steady sound of power. When stepping on it, the sound is much deeper and somewhat louder, and exactly what I was looking for. It's more a change in tone than volume.

I wouldn't make it any louder, I can't pull the cats where I live anyway and I wouldn't mess with the mufflers. I don't want it to sound like a high school hot rod, I want a classy but powerful sound. It's a cheap mod and I'm really happy with it.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by chazcon
I had a perf muffler shop chop out my resonators and install stainless steel straight pipes today, it's a common mod on a CL to give it a beefier sound. Before the mod it was a tad too quiet for me, it sounded great, don't get me wrong, but I wanted just a bit more of a 'performance' sound when accelerating. It cost me $100 and I gave the guy a $20 tip.

Now at idle or low speed I can tell the difference, it's just slightly louder but not obtrusive. At highway speeds it drones a little but the car is so well insulated it doesn't wear on you or affect music or conversation. Even with the windows down it's a happy sound at 70 MPH, not annoying at all. It's more a steady sound of power. When stepping on it, the sound is much deeper and somewhat louder, and exactly what I was looking for. It's more a change in tone than volume.

I wouldn't make it any louder, I can't pull the cats where I live anyway and I wouldn't mess with the mufflers. I don't want it to sound like a high school hot rod, I want a classy but powerful sound. It's a cheap mod and I'm really happy with it.
Hey, make some videos and post them up if you can. I like mine loud, so I got my secondary cats out too, doesn't throw off any codes either. When I took the removed resonator & cats home, It was really heavy, it must have reduced a good amount of weight off the car.

Last edited by sk91; 03-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.