CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

04 CL55 needs $5k AIR COMPRESSOR FOR ENGINE, not A/C WTF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55
Exclamation 04 CL55 needs $5k AIR COMPRESSOR FOR ENGINE, not A/C WTF

My mom took her low mileage (under 70K) 2004 CL55 into an independent place because her system light was on and it won't pass smog with it on.

The guy said that the car needs a replacement Air Compressor for the ENGINE... not the one for the A/C and it costs $5k new or $4k used/rebuilt and about $600 install. He said it is what forces the air into the engine and since it is an AMG, is way more expensive than the ones for non-AMG.

I've google searched and ebay searched and of course the only compressors I come up with are A/C ones. And I even tried searching intake, but don't find anything that matches up price wise.

Hell, there is a whole 115k mile engine on ebay for $3500!

This is a highly recommended mechanic and Yelp approved as well, so not worried about being scammed, but want to know what the heck part he is talking about.

We took the car over to get smogged so that it would fail and we can make an appointment with the referee (California), and the test came back as an Air System Failure.

So does anyone have some insight into this. Also, what if we don't have it fixed? What will that do to the car. If the referee gives a waiver it is good for 2 years, but then you have to fix it (or get rid of it).

Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,063 Likes on 852 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Do you need a new Kompressor? That would be the supercharger. Ask exactly what the mechanic is calling a compressor. Have him show you the part or at least get a part number.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55
By deductive reasoning, I think it is the Supercharger (Kompressor) he is referring to as that part is $4k remanufactured or $5k new...... (though I can get them starting at $1k used on ebay, but my mom isn't game!)

She is taking it to BH MB tomorrow since they won't charge her for the diagnostic, SM does! We'll see if they say that part is the problem.

I need to drive it to see if there is major HP loss, granny mom obviously wouldn't notice!

Don't think it makes sense to pay over 25% of the value of the car to fix it.... but she loves that car.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E55 AMG W211
--------

supercharger

if not then

i think its the

secondary air injection

code p0410

it does trigger cel light and fail smoge test

Last edited by iyad.2010; 02-13-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: -------
Old 02-22-2014, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
I just had my Smog Pump (Secondary Air Injection System OBD code) replaced and the first mechanic i took it to told me the Smog Pump was actually built into the SuperCharger and he wanted to replace the whole SuperCharger but it's actually located on the bottom front of the engine and can be seen from the front right fog light port

Apparently certain model cars have the smog pump built into the SuperCharger which i've never heard of...

Anyway, i would get a second opinion because even if it's the SuperCharger he wants to replaced it shouldn't have any affect on the car passing smog...

Do you happen to have the error codes the car was getting?