CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL63 AMG Mods/Upgrades - Your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CL63 AMG
CL63 AMG Mods/Upgrades - Your thoughts?

Hi everybody!

I am new here and wanted to introduce myself.. My name is John and I just purchased my 09 CL63 AMG about 3 months ago. I currently live in NJ and haven't been able to drive my beast because of the winter storms here . BUT, the Spring is almost here!!

I have been looking through these forums throughout the last couple of months and I realized how much knowledge everyone has here, so I felt it was appropriate to ask about my ideas on modifications/upgrades to the experts

So, first and foremost, here is the picture of the beast.

MODIFICATIONS / UPGRADES!

1) New Wheels

https://www.vossenwheels.com/wheels/VVSCV3.aspx

I am planning on getting these Vossen VVSCV3 wheels and if the "Matte Black Machined" does not look like a glossy black, I plan on having them painted gloss black. Similar to this look here:

I was wondering if you could tell whether these were 19" or 20" wheels. I want to get the same size as my current rims so that the tires would fit on correctly. Also, I think these pictures may be of a lowered CL63. What are your thoughts on lowering mine to look like this? Is it dangerous since I live in a place with battlefields as roads (potholes) lol.

2) Straight Pipe

My friend has an M6 that he straight piped and it sounds like a Lamborghini. I know my engine is not V10, but I also want the pure AMG sound coming out of my exhaust, so I plan to just straight pipe the mufflers (not the catalac, etc). What are your thoughts on this?

The specialized mechanic I'm working with is charging me $500 for this.

Is this a fair price?

3) Wing/lip

I was looking around for a nice wing/lip combination to add onto the physical appearance. Here is what I found..

W216 CL63 65 Godhand style carbon fiber front lip
W216 CL carbon fiber trunk lip spoiler

From this post:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...lip-stock.html

What do you think? Do you know any better combinations out there?
Where can I search for more options?
Also, where would I be able to purchase this exact kind?

4) ANY OTHER IDEAS

If you have any other ideas I may want to consider, please tell me. I could eventually get colored brake pads, but that's a little more distant than my focus right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final question off topic, I've looked all over the place for this and everyone has a different answer.

Being in NJ (weather-wise), what kind of oil do I want to use for my car?

5w-30 like Mobil1 advises on their website or 0w-40? If so, what brand?

Thank you for answering all my questions and taking a look through this thread. Your answers are all appreciated and I plan to post the final pics of this project!
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W215 V12TT Build by Speedriven, W221 S550 4Matic
Speedriven had a 63 that had only headers and tune and picked up 60 at the tire, it was on the E but I would def give them shout if you want soud and performance. As far as wheels its all up to your taste but you cant go wrong with a nice concave wheel or maybe a deep step lip wheel also. Lowering links should ve your first mod on the car to take it down a bit, maybe a nice lip spoiler and a frint lip ?

Thanks
Kamil
Old 03-20-2014, 07:07 PM

2009 CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by kamilclk430
Speedriven had a 63 that had only headers and tune and picked up 60 at the tire, it was on the E but I would def give them shout if you want soud and performance. As far as wheels its all up to your taste but you cant go wrong with a nice concave wheel or maybe a deep step lip wheel also. Lowering links should ve your first mod on the car to take it down a bit, maybe a nice lip spoiler and a frint lip ?

Thanks
Kamil

Kamil, thanks so much for the advice here and through PM. I appreciate it a lot! I spent the whole day taking the car to different shops / MB dealer and I will be purchasing these upgrades now.

Unfortunately, the Vosson VVS CV3 will not fit on my car unless its 22" due to the size of the brakes not clearing the concave design. I don't want to go with 22" rims because my car has brand new $2,000 tires on there, so I will be searching for 20" rims to still get an awesome look.

I also decided to straight pipe it and will have to buy the dual tip connector 3" max diameter.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
'08 CL65
"Unfortunately, the Vosson VVS CV3 will not fit on my car unless its 22" due to the size of the brakes not clearing the concave design. I don't want to go with 22" rims because my car has brand new $2,000 tires on there, so I will be searching for 20" rims to still get an awesome look."

Is this per Vossen?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM

2009 CL63 AMG
Originally Posted by xabo
"Unfortunately, the Vosson VVS CV3 will not fit on my car unless its 22" due to the size of the brakes not clearing the concave design. I don't want to go with 22" rims because my car has brand new $2,000 tires on there, so I will be searching for 20" rims to still get an awesome look."

Is this per Vossen?

Yes I meant Vossen, sorry. I'm on about 7 hours of sleep the last 3 days.

Any ideas for 20" rims? Kamil advised customized, but I don't want to spend more than around $2,000 for a full set.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I wold advise against straight pep, especially if put headers on it, the noise is out of control
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Maverick1975
I wold advise against straight pep, especially if put headers on it, the noise is out of control
I agree the noise will kill the car, plus check engine light. I would do resonator delete and headers. From these you will get power and sound will be very nice.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kaplanj7

Any ideas for 20" rims? Kamil advised customized, but I don't want to spend more than around $2,000 for a full set.
If you want to stick to around $2,000 here are a set of nice wheels with tires on them for around that.

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...d-w-tires.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...staggered.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-ti...-20-e-fit.html

I would def look around on the forum there are great deals on here. I just purchased BBS LM 20 inch Replicas on here for my S550.

Good Luck

Contact NEED4SPEED a sponsor on here they have plenty of nice wheels
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM

'08 CL65
Originally Posted by Kaplanj7

I talked with Mike about 2 years ago about this:

"Thanks for the reply. Can you give me more information upcoming size?

"Sure....... There might be clearance issues with the 20x9 and 20x10.5 so 20x8.5 and 20x10 are coming".
Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The offset is the issue on the VOSSEN 20inch wheels? seems like 20s are just fine in any wheel on the W216 AMGs
Old 03-21-2014, 12:06 PM

'08 CL65
Originally Posted by xabo
I talked with Mike about 2 years ago about this:

"Thanks for the reply. Can you give me more information upcoming size?

"Sure....... There might be clearance issues with the 20x9 and 20x10.5 so 20x8.5 and 20x10 are coming".

This was about the CV3's
Old 03-21-2014, 04:51 PM

'08 CL63 AMG
Definitely want to add some lowering links before you purchase the wheels, makes all the difference in the look.

http://www.adjustableairride.com/

Also, I would advise against going with aftermarket 20" wheels, they will just look too small on the car (depending on the style of the wheel). 21-22" is the way to go in my opinion.

Here is a picture of mine on 22" Rennen Forged and lowering links so you can get an idea.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM

'08 CL65
How's the ride on the 22's? More importantly.......how're the streets/roads you drive on?
Old 03-21-2014, 06:13 PM

G63
Weistec CL 63

I had an 09' CL 63, installed a blower, headers and a limited slip, the car was so much more fun to drive.
I tried different exhausts, headers, ecu tunes, nothing really makes that big car move unless you install the Weistec kit. Was very reliable, was a daily driver for me, just loved it, 650bhp at the wheels.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by status:one
Definitely want to add some lowering links before you purchase the wheels, makes all the difference in the look.

Also, I would advise against going with aftermarket 20" wheels, they will just look too small on the car (depending on the style of the wheel). 21-22" is the way to go in my opinion.

Here is a picture of mine on 22" Rennen Forged and lowering links so you can get an idea.

ONE OF THE NICEST CL 63 AMG I HAVE SEEN IN MY LIFE. VERY GOOD JOB!
A+++++++
Old 03-21-2014, 07:51 PM

2009 CL63 AMG

I actually just had someone tell me about lowering links and how they work. Absolutely interested in purchasing them. I'm assuming this is the best place to purchase them.

Is this the one I need? CL Class 2007-2013 (W216)

Your car looks real good in the 22" wheels and I am all for it, but here is the issue. I live in New Jersey and we have potholes everywhere. It's so bad that people are lining up everyday at wheel shops and dealerships getting their wheels fixed/ordering new ones. This car is extremely heavy and combined with low-profile tires, it's a nightmare.

What's your advice on battling this issue? Also, I was told 22" may not be good for numerous reasons other than just pot holes.

Originally Posted by kamilclk430
The offset is the issue on the VOSSEN 20inch wheels? seems like 20s are just fine in any wheel on the W216 AMGs
For the 20" rims, I was thinking of Vossen VVS CV3, but they do not fit due to offset. The AMG brakes are too large for the concave design.

My second option, if I were to go with 20" rims is Concavo Cw-5.

My third option, I can just get OEM Performance AMG wheels 20".

My fourth option, I can do 22" and have room to breathe, possibly with the Vossen VVS CV3 ( I like the way they look ).

As per insurance/warranty goes, they both seem to be similar. Vossen with their warranty and Concavo has a $175 one-time fee insurance cost and $100/deductible each case of broken rim.

I will definitely be purchasing

1) Lowering links
2) Resonator delete
3) Wheels (depending on 20" / 21" / 22")

As for headers, if you have a good idea on what to get, I'll consider it. In all honesty, I want to make the car sick and personalized, but I don't want to spend tons of money. This is my first nice car ever. Before this I drove junk, so I just want to do some stuff just not a ton yet.

I scrapped the straight pipe idea for now. Good to listen to you guys on the resonator.

Last edited by Kaplanj7; 03-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 PM

'08 CL65
"For the 20" rims, I was thinking of Vossen VVS CV3, but they do not fit due to offset. The AMG brakes are too large for the concave design".

Thought this was taken care of with the revised sizes........guess I was wrong.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

car looks amazing
Old 03-22-2014, 11:54 AM

2009 CL63 AMG

Just curious to know what kind of Rennen Forged these are. VR10, the one they have on the CL63 on their site? What kind of finish did you do? Graphite w/ machined finish?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
I would recommend giving our carbon fiber intake a try. We have recently dropped the retail price of our AMG 63 intake and engine cover kit to $1450 down from $1950. Our AMG intakes come with genuine K&N air filters and I'm a bit biased but it's the best intake on the market for the AMG 63 engine.

We've had quite a bit of positive feedback from MBworld members.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM

CL63 AMG
Beaut man! Love your CL63AMG. Blk is best...
Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 PM

'08 CL63 AMG
Almost every car i've owned ive always had aftermarket wheels with very low profile tires, so I'm always looking out for potholes. I live in the downtown Dallas area and the roads are horrendous... you just have to constantly be on the look out and know which roads are better to take. The ride is still fine for me, you do feel more bumps than you would with the stock wheels, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little ride quality for looks. Thank you for the kind comments, looking forward to seeing what the OP will do to his! GL