CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Buyer checklist for CL63 - help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 2007
Buyer checklist for CL63 - help please!

I'm just about to take the plunge with a 2007 CL63 AMG (50K miles) I'm having a health check on the car by MB at Gatwick. Can anyone advise on the checklist of mechanical or electrical issues to watch out for? I'm sure MB will cover most things in their 140 point check, but any real world experiences would be gratefully received. Also I'm fully braced for astronomical running costs (tyres, brakes, mpg, servicing etc.) but I'd appreciate any tips about what to expect down the line. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Bad start

Well I guess I'll be the one to say welcome to the world of AMG but you're not really off to great start...

First there was no 2007 CL 63. 63 series began in 2008 for cl. If the car that you're looking at is in fact a 2008 just keep in mind that that was the first year run and there was some minor issues.

The issues associated with this car are the ABC hydraulic suspension there are many posts here you just need to read up on it and see if there was any regular maintenance I believe is key.

Make sure they also look at the transmission and engine mounts along with the pulsation dampener these parts out at about your age of car and are huge in terms of reducing vibration and overall drivability.

There are a lot of other smaller items that you can find in this forum but I have to tell you I really don't think that this car is that expensive in terms of costs of ownership tires are high-performance tires on any car and I don't think the maintenance is really any different. Brakes can be high but there are options and parts.com goes a long way to make it affordable.

Good luck I hope your car is everything you wanted it to be I know I love mine it simply is one of the best all-around touring cars I've ever driven.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 2007
Thanks for the welcome ROME0550, I'm beside myself with excitement about joining the AMG fraternity / sorority. According to MB here in Brighton UK, the CL63 was first released in March 2007 in Europe and I have confirmed this by browsing Autotrader. Perhaps the release dates were different for the US.

I have passed on your valuable comments to MB so they can include these items in the health check of the car. Each day I wait to collect the car, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a serious piece of automotive real estate and should be purchased with the same caution as buying a house.

I look forward to exchanging views once I have welcomed the German flying machine into our household. Cheers once again for your reply.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by lgsw1956
Thanks for the welcome ROME0550, I'm beside myself with excitement about joining the AMG fraternity / sorority. According to MB here in Brighton UK, the CL63 was first released in March 2007 in Europe and I have confirmed this by browsing Autotrader. Perhaps the release dates were different for the US.

I have passed on your valuable comments to MB so they can include these items in the health check of the car. Each day I wait to collect the car, I have to keep reminding myself that this is a serious piece of automotive real estate and should be purchased with the same caution as buying a house.

I look forward to exchanging views once I have welcomed the German flying machine into our household. Cheers once again for your reply.
Ah, I was hoping that would have been the case. I will stay tuned.....
Old 08-16-2014, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
That early cl63 was abc suspension

At least the USA cars were all airmatic and 4matic all wheel drive After 2009, airmatic is more reliable
Old 08-16-2014, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 818 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by tusabes
That early cl63 was abc suspension

At least the USA cars were all airmatic and 4matic all wheel drive After 2009, airmatic is more reliable
Unfortunately, the US AMG and V12's CL's have ABC suspension. The 550 had airmatic and all wheel drive, I believe, starting in 2011 with the bi-turbo 4.6L engine. The AMG and V12's are still rear wheel drive.