CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Lexus owner looking to make the jump to an AMG - But first a few questions :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus
Lexus owner looking to make the jump to an AMG - But first a few questions :)

Hey guys

been a long time Lexus owner , been trolling benz forums for nearly two years , doing research , learning what I can , trying to prepare myself for ownership one day.

Anyways Ive decided I want an 03+ CL55 since the motor and transmission are so highly praised and they are becoming much more affordable then they were just a couple years ago.

I do have a few questions.

The first one , and main concern , is the ABC system. I know its great , I know it works wonders, and I know MOST of you love it and can afford the maintenance on it , unfortunately I cant....well I probably could but I really don't want too.

So im wondering what kind of progress has been made with the coilover swap kits, the last I heard it was strutmasters as the only source and you need to sacrifice your sway bars and the ride quality is really poor, is this still the case?

Ive heard some people swapping over sway bars from non AMG models as well as the power steering pump , so u can completely delete the ABC system?

Is there any new info on how to completely delete this amazing yet expensive ABC suspension?

Second question is it seems that most Benz owners seem to go to the dealer for most of their problems and parts, and its no surprise that these people end up with massive repair bills and part costs, but I recently spoke to an E55 owner who told me parts for these cars can be had for relatively cheap , and relatively the same price as any other model , you just need to find a good parts source.

So id like to ask is there a good reputable source for OEM or aftermarket parts for these cars other then the dealer?

My main concern guys is maintenance and repair costs, I am not rich , and coming from lexus ive been very spoiled in terms of reliability and little no ZERO breakdowns or issues.

But I want to see myself in 500HP AMG by the spring, life is short and I want to own one of these MONSTERS and at least give it my best shot.

Any advice is VERY appreciated guys, especially on the ABC delete.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
go check out my ABC thread it's an expensive route, though.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:40 PM

Lexus
I actually been seeing a lot of your posts in other threads, would u mind sending me a direct link to your thread I wouldn't know how to find it, thanks.

Also how much did it cost you ? I think you swapped in some struts from another model correct? And the power steering pump?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:01 PM

Lexus
its ok I found it , looks like you went with a custom set up , im looking for more of a plug and play system.

For reference may I ask what power steering unit works as a replacement?

As well as what sway bars?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 S65 AMG W220 12.31@119_MPH (Stock)
I believe if you do basic maintenance on the ABC system, the cost of it will be way less than converting it to conventional set up.

One of the main reason why ABC problems comes up is because people neglect to change the fluid. You could change the fluid & filter yourself about once every 25,000 miles and the system should be problem free. Also go through and replace any worn out hydraulic hoses or accumulator cells which should not be overly expensive. It's really not that complicated. The benefits of ABC is wonderful and well worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 AM

W215 CL65
These cars abc system is phenomenal, just utterly unreliable. I've had no problems so far, (knock on wood), but I highly recommend flushing/checking the ABC/ps fluid every now and then. I'm lucky to have a hookup where I'm able to work on all 4 of my German cars, so parts is the only really killer there. (depending on if you can finds wholesale deals or not)

There is no real coilover swap for these cars and if you've seen OCKlasse's thread of his conversion, its really intense from, swapping sub-frames, custom fabrication, coding out abc etc...you can probably buy another w215 cl500 and use the abc from that car for the same cost hahaha!

I came from a lexus ls460 to my w215, and there is a lot of things I miss about that car, but you can't beat the power and presence these big body coupes give!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Lexus
Originally Posted by DarthVader2
I believe if you do basic maintenance on the ABC system, the cost of it will be way less than converting it to conventional set up.

One of the main reason why ABC problems comes up is because people neglect to change the fluid. You could change the fluid & filter yourself about once every 25,000 miles and the system should be problem free. Also go through and replace any worn out hydraulic hoses or accumulator cells which should not be overly expensive. It's really not that complicated. The benefits of ABC is wonderful and well worth it in my opinion.

IDK man, one break down on this ABC set up can run you a couple grand, ive read horror story after horror story of cars in and out of the shop.

Once I can figure out how to swap the ABC out I will be looking to go and actually buy one of these cars.

Originally Posted by adamls2

There is no real coilover swap for these cars and if you've seen OCKlasse's thread of his conversion, its really intense from, swapping sub-frames, custom fabrication, coding out abc etc...you can probably buy another w215 cl500 and use the abc from that car for the same cost hahaha!

I came from a lexus ls460 to my w215, and there is a lot of things I miss about that car, but you can't beat the power and presence these big body coupes give!

well there is the strumaster kit, that seems to be a direct swap, the only issue is you will then have to install sway bars from another model which they don't include, as well as install a power steering pump from another model as well.

Ive owned a few sc400's and now an LS430 , I love these cars , they've given me no trouble at all and are a pleasure to drive.

I really wanted an LS460 , I test drove one recently , not bad, not too impressed, the reason I am worried to get one is because of all the valve and engine hesitation issues.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:04 PM

00 Lincoln Continental
Some aspects of these cars can cost $1k or more with no warning. It's just a fact of owning one. However, for all the scary stories you see, my brother's CL65 has cost a whopping $1800 in repairs in the past 6-7 years. (I know I just jinxed him!) That's not bad at all for a car that'll be turning 10 years old. He was looking for a car that combined his LS430 and single turbo Supra, and the CL65 fit the bill perfectly.

If you do your own wrenching the costs aren't bad at all. Keep an eye on the ABC hoses and get them remade locally instead of buying a dealer part. Ignition coils from AutoZone cost half what they do at a dealer and they're identical parts. There's nothing different about working on these cars. I was worried when I tackled my first ignition coil and the whole thing didn't take 45 minutes. Spark plugs on my Stealth twin turbo took longer than that!

Nothing delivers power like a boosted V12. It never seems stressed, and with this kind of torque there's no such thing as a "bad" spot for a downshift. Nail it from any speed and it's time to move. The positives far outweigh the negatives on these cars. I plan to eventually snag an ignored S600, creating a debadged beast for myself.

Yes, I'm on ClubLexus and there are other L's in the family. The 05 LS430 with 60k miles will be sold shorty because the Mark Levinson amplifier is bricked, and the 07 LS460 has been recalled again for fuel lines that may rupture (that's after the valve spring replacement recall from a few years ago).
Old 11-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Lexus
Originally Posted by MooJohn
Some aspects of these cars can cost $1k or more with no warning. It's just a fact of owning one. However, for all the scary stories you see, my brother's CL65 has cost a whopping $1800 in repairs in the past 6-7 years. (I know I just jinxed him!) That's not bad at all for a car that'll be turning 10 years old. He was looking for a car that combined his LS430 and single turbo Supra, and the CL65 fit the bill perfectly.

If you do your own wrenching the costs aren't bad at all. Keep an eye on the ABC hoses and get them remade locally instead of buying a dealer part. Ignition coils from AutoZone cost half what they do at a dealer and they're identical parts. There's nothing different about working on these cars. I was worried when I tackled my first ignition coil and the whole thing didn't take 45 minutes. Spark plugs on my Stealth twin turbo took longer than that!

Nothing delivers power like a boosted V12. It never seems stressed, and with this kind of torque there's no such thing as a "bad" spot for a downshift. Nail it from any speed and it's time to move. The positives far outweigh the negatives on these cars. I plan to eventually snag an ignored S600, creating a debadged beast for myself.

Yes, I'm on ClubLexus and there are other L's in the family. The 05 LS430 with 60k miles will be sold shorty because the Mark Levinson amplifier is bricked, and the 07 LS460 has been recalled again for fuel lines that may rupture (that's after the valve spring replacement recall from a few years ago).

Hey MooJohn I think I remember you from club lexus actually, the name seems familiar.

Yea its a damn shame about the 460, if it wasn't for the valve issues and the other problems I wouldn't be here, id be planning to buy my 460L.

The mark Levinson system even in my 430 is sub par at best, I blew the sub woofer almost immediately after buying the car, its a real weak spot.

There is actually a very well priced 03 cl600 bi turbo v12 in my area, by a reputable dealer with warrantee available, for a very good price.

Its tempting but ive heard a lot of nightmare stories about the v12's
Old 11-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
1willy1, your first post could've been written by me! I currently drive an SC400 but have been researching the hell out of the W215 models since at least February. I've always thought of MB as an old mans car until I saw a 215 going down the road and was like, "what in the hell was that sexy thing?" Haha. Now I am a 45 y/o man so I guess I could qualify for the old man part but I'm still very young in my heart and mind. Having a CL55 would be my first choice. I have only driven a 500 as of yet and it's power was very impressive I'll admit. I want to drive a naturally aspirated 55 (01/02 model) and see what kind of a difference the extra 50 hp makes. I know if I drive an 03+ I'll be hooked but I'm not quite sure I want to deal with how fast they eat tires, which I understand is common in all models but with 493 hp I know my foot will be in it all the time.

Now here are my thoughts. After doing a lot of research, and being a do it yourself-er, the mechanical aspects, including the ABC system, no longer frighten me, it's the damn electrical ones. These cars have sensors and computers for everything. I mean, I'm surprised it doesn't know when to tell you it's time to manscape again. It's an over engineered car. The delaminating glass also really irritates me. What I love about my SC400 is its a relatively simple car and I can trust it to go anywhere at any time even if something is wrong with it. But I'm going to have dog on Lexus for a minute. I've had to replace the ENTIRE front suspension, rack n pinion, motor/tranny mounts all just past 100k miles. Since then it has still had a vibration issue. I'm currently waiting for 2 new flexible couplings to come in the mail. Those are the last rubber items I've yet to replace. Now the afore mentioned work, which I did myself, cost me about $3k just in parts. When comparing parts costs for the W215 (not including ABC) I was shocked to find the same parts I replaced on my SC were significantly less expensive for the CL and had more aftermarket availability. Example: 1 flexible coupling for the driveshaft cost almost $300 from Lexus, and it's a dealer item only. The SC4 has 2 of them. You can find the same item for the CL online for less than $100, some even around $50/60. Luckily since the SC is the same chassis as a MKIV supra, I was able to find them from a Toyota dealer online for $150/each. Still way to much for a piece of rubber though.
So with that said, the CL is an itch I am going to have to scratch. I just don't think I'll jump into a Kompressor one initially. I'll need to get my feet wet first with either a 500 or n/a 55. The NAV system is meaningless to me so that aspect of an 01/02 model doesn't bother me. We'll see. Right now the main objective is to get the SC back to silky smooth and to continue to sink $$$ into a MKIII Supra.
Good luck to you!
I'm gtsfire on club Lexus btw.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 AM

CL 55
You could buy mine the ABC is all completely new installed by the dealer. you get the amazing suspension without the worry of repairs for a long time.

https://mbworld.org/forums/mercedes-...-cl55-amg.html
Old 11-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Lexus
Originally Posted by fireman685
1willy1, your first post could've been written by me! I currently drive an SC400 but have been researching the hell out of the W215 models since at least February. I've always thought of MB as an old mans car until I saw a 215 going down the road and was like, "what in the hell was that sexy thing?" Haha. Now I am a 45 y/o man so I guess I could qualify for the old man part but I'm still very young in my heart and mind. Having a CL55 would be my first choice. I have only driven a 500 as of yet and it's power was very impressive I'll admit. I want to drive a naturally aspirated 55 (01/02 model) and see what kind of a difference the extra 50 hp makes. I know if I drive an 03+ I'll be hooked but I'm not quite sure I want to deal with how fast they eat tires, which I understand is common in all models but with 493 hp I know my foot will be in it all the time.

Now here are my thoughts. After doing a lot of research, and being a do it yourself-er, the mechanical aspects, including the ABC system, no longer frighten me, it's the damn electrical ones. These cars have sensors and computers for everything. I mean, I'm surprised it doesn't know when to tell you it's time to manscape again. It's an over engineered car. The delaminating glass also really irritates me. What I love about my SC400 is its a relatively simple car and I can trust it to go anywhere at any time even if something is wrong with it. But I'm going to have dog on Lexus for a minute. I've had to replace the ENTIRE front suspension, rack n pinion, motor/tranny mounts all just past 100k miles. Since then it has still had a vibration issue. I'm currently waiting for 2 new flexible couplings to come in the mail. Those are the last rubber items I've yet to replace. Now the afore mentioned work, which I did myself, cost me about $3k just in parts. When comparing parts costs for the W215 (not including ABC) I was shocked to find the same parts I replaced on my SC were significantly less expensive for the CL and had more aftermarket availability. Example: 1 flexible coupling for the driveshaft cost almost $300 from Lexus, and it's a dealer item only. The SC4 has 2 of them. You can find the same item for the CL online for less than $100, some even around $50/60. Luckily since the SC is the same chassis as a MKIV supra, I was able to find them from a Toyota dealer online for $150/each. Still way to much for a piece of rubber though.
So with that said, the CL is an itch I am going to have to scratch. I just don't think I'll jump into a Kompressor one initially. I'll need to get my feet wet first with either a 500 or n/a 55. The NAV system is meaningless to me so that aspect of an 01/02 model doesn't bother me. We'll see. Right now the main objective is to get the SC back to silky smooth and to continue to sink $$$ into a MKIII Supra.
Good luck to you!
I'm gtsfire on club Lexus btw.

Cool Fireman, ive owned a few sc400's they are fantastic cars.

Thankfully I had a few good years financially and that is the only reason I moved up into an LS430, I still troll the sc400 forum and classifieds to see if any gems pop up, im still an sc400 guy at heart it was my first Lexus and will always have a soft spot for them.

I also liked the cl500's , but you should REALLY give some thought to just spending a little extra and getting one of the AMG monsters.

Also you might not be aware but the 03 cl600's are twin turbo v12's and are even more powerful then the supercharged 03+ amg 55's.

As well as a quick ecu tune on the cl600 TT and your making 620 hp+!!!

Today ive located a 600 near me , the price is right and they are actually going to offer it to me with a warrantee , so I am going to check it out in the next hour or so , ill report back to you guys soon.

Wish me luck
Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Lexus
OK!!!!! So I just took the 03 cl600 v12 TT for a spin ,,,un ****ing believable

The power is just insane , ive never felt anything even close to it.

The kicker is I can even get it with a warrantee , so im giving this a lot of thought.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
what does the warranty cover? remember, sometimes when you snooze you lose.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:57 PM

00 Lincoln Continental
I was going to add that if you get an older CL without boost, you're facing all the same potential issues as the supercharged/turbo cars with none of the positive aspects. With stupid power it's a lot easier to forgive a few quirks or strange failures

I've been nagging my brother to switch his awful stock nav & audio system for a full aftermarket combo. It's a real letdown on a car that stickered at almost $200k. "Navigation by Etch-a-sketch"
Old 11-04-2014, 12:34 AM

Lexus
Originally Posted by MooJohn
I was going to add that if you get an older CL without boost, you're facing all the same potential issues as the supercharged/turbo cars with none of the positive aspects. With stupid power it's a lot easier to forgive a few quirks or strange failures

I've been nagging my brother to switch his awful stock nav & audio system for a full aftermarket combo. It's a real letdown on a car that stickered at almost $200k. "Navigation by Etch-a-sketch"

**** man ,,,stupid power indeed, its the most power I ever felt and I barely got on the throttle .

500hp stock ,,620 hp with a little ecu upgrade,,, unbelievable!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM

CL55 AMG/S55 AMG
go for it!!!

i got 2 with ABC just picked up a s55

i love the system you just got do the maintenance
Old 11-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
Originally Posted by 1Willy1
I also liked the cl500's , but you should REALLY give some thought to just spending a little extra and getting one of the AMG monsters.
...and that's what I did. Picked up an 05 CL55 AMG.

What's the latest with your search?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 428 Posts
Mercedes
Remember that "little ecu tune" on the v12 will fry your coil packs soon after, so that's a $3000 additional expense
Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 PM

00 Lincoln Continental
I think that's coincidence anyway. Most people put a tune on an older car where the coils are probably close to gone anyway. My brother lost a coil at 32k miles on his bone stock car.

AutoZone coils = $1400 and a couple hours to swap them.