CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

help with tranny shift problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
help with tranny shift problem

hi, i did a search and so far haven't found the answer. today after waiting at at a pick up window at wendys i drove the car and when i hit the gas the tranny revved to 4000 and wouldn't go down. i pulled off and the car went back down to 600 rpm. pulled out and as soon as tranny shifted it went back up to 4000 rpm and would not shift out of the existing gear. i assume car was in limp mode? pulled off again and this time shut car off. immediately restarted and all was well. i uses both comfort and sports mode and everything worked as it should. no check engine light, no codes. i remember reading about possibly the crank position sensor, or throttle position sensor possibly causing this. is one of these possibly the culprit, or is there something else i should be looking at. hopefully this doesn't reoccur as this is the only time this has happened so far. looking forward to some feedback.
thanks

Last edited by biker349; 03-19-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Most likely the conductor plate in the tranny. Check for leaking connector aswell and that there is no oil already in your TCU
Old 03-20-2015, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thanks. check both and no oil leakage. conductor plate was scanned.
i scanned with a star c3 and didn't get any error codes, but i did get ! (exclamation marks) on the following items.
Electronic Selector Module !
Suspension !
ICM instrument cluster with maintenance interval display !
Electronic Stability Control !

explanations-1- it was not possible to establish communication with module N47-5 (ESP, SPS, pml) with BAS control unit.

possible cause and remedy

Voltage to supply ( circuit 30) for the control unit is not okay.
Voltage to supply ( circuit 87) for control unit is not okay.
The K-wire from control module to diagnosis socket is not okay.
The control unit is faulty.

Electronic Selector Module.

1-error during initializing.
2-no link between diagnosis gateway and control unit
Possible causes
1- voltage to supply of the control module is not okay.
2- control module not part of standard configuration.

the above is what i was able to get from star. No fault codes., just exclamation marks.
there is no history of errors either.
any ideas? i've driven the car 3 times since the first occurrence and everything seems to be back to normal. could this be a computer glitch? and why am i getting exclamation marks and no error codes. btw, last time i scanned the car about a month ago everything checked Okay in the quick test, now i get the exclamation marks (!) next to the above listed items.
any help and feed back is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 CL600
I would be interested in finding a solution as well since my car has a similar issue. Sometimes, when I punch it, the tranny will "hang" in gear after I let off the gas and not upshift like it should. I did check my pilot plug on the transmission and found it to be full of transmission fluid. I replaced the plug and cleaned the wiring harness connector and at last check, it is still dry. I did check the TCU and found no fluid there. I don't have a Star to check for codes or faults and I haven't taken it to a shop since it's only an intermittent problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
let us know if you find out anything. since you changed your pilot plug and cleaned your ecu have you still had the problem?