CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

I hate my CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I hate my CL55

In February 2004 I decided to trade my 01 E55 in for a 2003 CL55.Since February, the car has been back to the dealership no less than 6 times. I have lost the use of the car for 20 days, many of which were to repair the same problems. Some of the problems I am having include:

 Sunroof programming problems
 Driver and passenger window operation problems
 Window and mirror seal issues
 Battery issues (low voltage codes)
 Interior parts issues
 Supercharger clutch issues
 A frayed engine v-belt
 Parking brake issues
 Body molding issues
 Trunk switch problem
 Keyless access problem

While many of these issues have been repaired, several continue and I am told some like a squealing compressor and slight hesitation on acceleration are “normal”. I also find that the seats are terrible and don't curve to properly support my back no matter how much I adjust them. I have a difficult time accepting this on a car of this caliber.
I have been working with the dealer to resolve the issues and they are trying hard to help but the overall quality of this car is very disappointing. I have tried to contact MBUSA but after waiting 3 weeks they have not followed-up.

Are these problems and the disappointing response what I can expect and are there any suggestions out there to help me get the car to I don't hate it every time I drive it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Srt, I don't know what to say, but that's a fairly big list with moderate problems. And I agree, it's rediculous. What about the lemon law?
Old 07-20-2004, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
How did you like your W210 E55?
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM

I enjoyed the E55 and had very few problems. The mass airflow sensor did go and I had to have the car towed but no other major issues.
In February I brought the E in for regular service and ended up buying the CL on a whim. I sure regret the decision.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Thanks. Didn't want to hijack the thread, but will consider the W210 E55 when kids come into the plan in the next 2-3 years.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:33 PM

cl55 amg
i am starting to hate my cl55 as well

i bought a used 2002 cl 55 and it has been in the shop twice since i bought it in march The first was BAS and EPS prob and it cost 1500US to fix. The parts price in KOrea is outrageous. Yesterday, i took it in becasue the ABC light came on. They are telling me that its going to cost 2500US and two weeks(parts delivery) to replace three hoses and the valve.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:48 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Why isn't your car still under warranty?

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2004, 10:34 AM

Update:
I just don't get it....I sent a letter about the problems I've had with the car on 7/9 to Paul Halata and Fletcher Jones. I received a form email response from MBUSA saying their policy is to have the dealer as the point of contact with owners and they have not otherwise replied. I've called 3 times and sent various emails to try to get someone from MBUSA to talk about the car. The customer service people have been rude and condescending. I am amazed that someone can buy a car for $120k and this is the level of customer service you get. Any suggestions on how I can get a factory rep to help me with the car?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I can't beleive MB would treat you like that. It's not like you bought a cheap car, If I sold a car that was 100k I would be doing everything I can to take care of your problem. Sorry about the horrilbe service you been receiving.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Almost a Member!

CL65 2005
Offer for Lemon

Sorry to hear about your major problems! With the amount of defects in the car I can only offer $25,000.00 cash and would be willing to take your CL55 and its problems (I must be a glutton for punishment) off your hands.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I'll take it for free is you want?

jp...good luck w/ all the problems, man. first year car will always have glitches.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I find MBUSA to be useless in customer service too. It's one of the biggest MB ownership problem - lack of service.

I'd say try different dealer if one can't resolve your problem. Keep fixing it until you are satisfied or sell it for something else. The new S is coming out soon as you know.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:04 AM

Update on my CL 55:
I had the car in again this week (they had to replace the rear rotors, pads and parking brake and several of the items the car has been in for multiple times) Went to get gas on the way home and the filler door won't stay closed!
I finally got a call from MBUSA yesterday 8/19. The District rep was great. He listened to the whole story, asked a bunch of relevant questions and then said "I'M SORRY!". What a great start to the conversation! We went through all the problems and he had solutions for all of them. I think I almost have the technical problems finally worked out and if he comes through with what he promised then I'm back on the road to enjoying the car. Now if I could only feel comfortable in the front seats! (What a whiner I am!)
Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
The amount of money you paid for the car does give you right to whine though. At this price and the name of MB, you expect everything to be perfect, right?
Old 08-21-2004, 03:51 AM
Guest0001

If I had a CL55 I wouldnt give a damn about anything unless the car stalls on me a highway.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You do have a right to whine. Hopefully everything works out for you!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
It definitely does not sound like these are the problems I could live with a 100K+ 2003 MB.

"Repeated problems" are unacceptable. This means your dealer did not ever manage to identify the ROOT CAUSES those problems. Or they did not try to convince you to pay the enough sum of money to fix the problems permanently e.g replace the parts. ( Or even because you were in a rush to have the car back )

However, if you believe the dealer has already done their best effort to fix the problems, or you are no longer preparing to spend more money and time; then if the problems persist, I will suggest you fix some of the obvious problems and sell the car to 'another' unlucky guy soon as you can.

cnt
Old 09-04-2004, 01:15 AM

Sounds like my G500.....THe problems never end....Can't wait to get out of it
Old 09-04-2004, 06:57 AM

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Srt Viper
In February 2004 I decided to trade my 01 E55 in for a 2003 CL55.Since February, the car has been back to the dealership no less than 6 times. I have lost the use of the car for 20 days, many of which were to repair the same problems. Some of the problems I am having include:

 Sunroof programming problems
 Driver and passenger window operation problems
 Window and mirror seal issues
 Battery issues (low voltage codes)
 Interior parts issues
 Supercharger clutch issues
 A frayed engine v-belt
 Parking brake issues
 Body molding issues
 Trunk switch problem
 Keyless access problem

While many of these issues have been repaired, several continue and I am told some like a squealing compressor and slight hesitation on acceleration are “normal”. I also find that the seats are terrible and don't curve to properly support my back no matter how much I adjust them. I have a difficult time accepting this on a car of this caliber.
I have been working with the dealer to resolve the issues and they are trying hard to help but the overall quality of this car is very disappointing. I have tried to contact MBUSA but after waiting 3 weeks they have not followed-up.

Are these problems and the disappointing response what I can expect and are there any suggestions out there to help me get the car to I don't hate it every time I drive it?

Thanks for the help.

hello there! is all the problems are from mb ? or is it the customer/ driver's fault?

I had the 2001 model CL500 , not even a single problem, can it be from the way an owner takes care of his/her car?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:53 AM

SLK_55....are you for real? What does your 2001 CL have to do with anyone else's? It's a NEW car. It's a car that cost $118,000. It's covered by a warranty. Review the list of issues and explain to me how an owner could be responsible for these quality/operational issues? But you are right....I'm smart enough to be able to afford a car like this but too dumb to know how to take care of it. Thanks for pointing out this flaw. I'm working on it.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:30 PM

one of seven
Originally Posted by Srt Viper
SLK_55....are you for real? What does your 2001 CL have to do with anyone else's? It's a NEW car. It's a car that cost $118,000. It's covered by a warranty. Review the list of issues and explain to me how an owner could be responsible for these quality/operational issues? But you are right....I'm smart enough to be able to afford a car like this but too dumb to know how to take care of it. Thanks for pointing out this flaw. I'm working on it.
lol

slk - may be having trouble understanding your post, the problems reported and expressing himself properly. IMHO
Old 09-25-2004, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
Thats too bad, must have been a "friday car" over at AMG..
Old 10-08-2004, 09:42 AM

Well, the CL55 is back in the shop again. Went in Wednesday and haven't heard back from the dealer since despite the 2 messages I left for the service rep yesterday. Here's the list:
1. Intermittent squeaking noise from right rear wheel (again).
2. Rattle in dash on left side. A metallic sound to the left of the steering wheel. It stops when you push on the panel to the left and below the steering wheel as you drive. Temp was about 85.
3. Console cover will not close
4. Drink holder came out when 2 drinks were in it during a left-hand turn.
5. Drivers door armrest leather is defective
6. Pass side window express close still opens partially. Better than it was but still does it.
7. Gas door will not stay closed at times.
9. Electrical issues:
 When driver seat back folded forward it does not return completely to correct memory position. Need to push memory button 1 to return.
 Steering wheel sometimes does not return to correct position.
 Passenger side mirror occasionally does not tilt down in reverse. Switch is in correct position.
 Trunk switch to close trunk intermittent inop.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Wow, I am sorry to hear about all the problems with your car. I should hope that Fletcher Jones will go to bat for you and get MBUSA to take you out of that one and maybe into something new. At least that is what they should do with all the issues that you have had with a very expensive vehicle.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
how the hell does MB get away with this? I have to respond to my customers immdiately and treat them like gold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I hate my CL55