CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Replacing cracked plastic fenders with carbon fiber.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2020 | 02:59 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Replacing cracked plastic fenders with carbon fiber.

It has been a long time since my last post. Since then my wife and I have put close to 100000 miles on our 2 Cl's.
She has an 06 CL55 amg and a year ago I bought a 05 CL65 amg . I know, who in there right mind would buy 2 Cl's but hey what can I say, I really enjoy both cars. But with that comes all the problems encountered when owning one of these beasts. Cracked fenders being one them. Both cars have both fenders cracking and I can't see replacing them with OEM fenders. The 65 had a front fender changed out a couple years ago from a very minor hit.
That fender is cracking so, no OEM fenders are going back on our cars. I have decided since being out of a job because of this virus that I'm pulling molds off the fenders and laying up a couple sets of OEM duplicate carbon
fiber fenders. I have a past background in composites and machining so this sounds like fun. I will be posting pics as it progresses and have started a YouTube video of the whole process that I hope to release. Let me know what you think. After the fenders I may do a hood and custom vent inserts out of carbon. The heat under the Hood of the CL65 is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. Until then I hope everyone is healthy. Cheers

Small crack working its way down the fender nose.

All cracks start off edge by the fender bolts.
Old 06-05-2020 | 12:41 PM

2006 CL55 AMG

Fender removed details and process will be posted to youtube when finished.

Steel reinforcement

2nd steel flange reinforcement

3rd flange reinforcement

Fender is mounted and foam roughed in to support flanges. Plug is coming along nicely. Fender can still be removed from plug.

Wet sand and buff to high polish next.

Second side ready for layup.

Last edited by AMGHELLRAISER; 10-04-2020 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 07-28-2023 | 11:28 AM

CL65, and S65
Was this ever completed? I'm also worried about my fender cracking later and would like to have options other than OEM.