CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL600 with AMG badge on trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by davepl
Yeah, I'm scared to race you in email, dude. You might pop right out of this message board and pass me on the inside if I cut a bad line going into turn 9, and then I couldn't face my friends and family.

FWIW, when I run the road course I use my Vette, because I didn't want to put a cage in a CL600 (and damage my sweet, sweet Alcantara headliner).

You're well on your way to being that guy that "used to own a car like that, and you could put a $100 bill on the dashboard but you couldn't reach it when I floored it".

Let it go, man.

passed a few vettes with cages last time i was at the track... lets add yours to the list!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
passed a few vettes with cages last time i was at the track... lets add yours to the list!
Great googly mooglies man, just because you went to a lapping day once, now you're the King of Speed. You know and I know that you've NEVER raced in a competitive environment where you can even pass in the corners, because YOU DO NOT HAVE A CAR THAT'S SCCA PREPPED (I do). Pout all you want, flame all you want, but a facts remain:

a) You don't race competitively, so you're pounding your pud with any challenges
b) You don't even own a CL, so why annoy people here to begin with?
c) My slowest car is faster than you're fastest car anyway.

Go ahead, post some witty retort, and I'll let you have the last word. Make sure you flex hard when you press Enter, big man.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Can't we all just get along?

I think what everyone is saying is that we love the brand AMG and aspire to own it and be part of the excitement that defines it.

I realized that I have an AMG logo sweater, hat and watch, but I don't own any AMG cars at the moment (I have owned eight), so should I be embarassed to wear them until I acquire another real AMG car to drive?

We should all be able to express our affection for AMG in our own individual way and not have to suffer the indignation of our peers.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
Originally Posted by shoes
I realized that I have an AMG logo sweater, hat and watch, but I don't own any AMG cars at the moment (I have owned eight), so should I be embarassed to wear them until I acquire another real AMG car to drive?
Yes, do not wear any AMG clothing until you get yourself another AMG. To sport AMG clothing without an AMG car is so last summer, whatever . :p
Old 12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Come on guys, it is all good. No need to restort to comments made by both sides on this issue.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 AM

Well, I didn't mean to start a flame war between two members, but here's my controversial take on this.

For one, I'm still not clear on why people put on AMG badges onto a car that wasn't an AMG in the first place - yes, you may have modded up some components of a car - but you can't really call a 911 TT a GT2 if you've only added the seats.

Second, I do race my car on the track in Cali - I've done so at Thunderhill, Sears Point, Laguna Seca and on autocross courses - and as much as I love all cars AMG - they really just don't do as well as other cars on teh track - unless modified a little. But that's neither here nor there - people do what they want with their cars.

That's it. I'm just happy to own one and be one of those "c-class wannabes."
Old 12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I'm just happy to own one and be one of those "c-class wannabes."
The C-Class chasis with some suspension work handles great. I have seen some modified C32's on the track kick some tail of other supercar's.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by awiner
The C-Class chasis with some suspension work handles great. I have seen some modified C32's on the track kick some tail of other supercar's.
The C32 car I use at the track is faster than all the street modded EVO 8's, STi's and it stays on the tail of 996 Twin turbos with good drivers at the wheel.

Some simple changes make the W203 a pleasure to drive but it still needs more front negative camber and a real LSD. Killing a set of SP Super Sport Race tires in 4-5 sessions is never fun.

Im no pro driver but my time in the C32 with street tires on the big track at willow was 1 seconds off Motor Trends time for the new 997 S. Thats with me having put down only 20 laps at that track... not bad for a stock motor daily driver! I had a good 1-2 seconds left in the car being that I did not push turns 8 and 9 -- images of a serious crash were on the back of my eye lids.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:48 PM

After some discussion on AMGPower.com and some more thought on the issue, I've decided to come to a compromise on the issue in my own mind.

I guess for me badging a CL600 with AMG parts AMG is not that bad. I guess what bothers me is if a CL600 badged his/her car a CL55/65. That on teh other hand, is fraudulent.

Well, at least I've come to a clearer conclusion on the issue myself. Hope that other people got something out of the friendly debate as well.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:27 PM

05 CLK 320
come on seriously it does not matter, what a 130k car is badged as, as far as I care they can badge a CL600 to SL65.

When I have an CL65 or an CL55 and see a CL600 with an AMG bage I might/might not be concered, but when I am not even in that range, I would just think , interesting, but none theless a nice car.

If I had a E55, I would badge it as an E320, so the BMW driver can feel ****y for being screwed by a simple E320, that would be more fun. When I get an AMG that will be the first thing I will do, rebage my car to the lowest model in the class. More physcological damage done when you beat the other guy with a wrong badge on the car.

CynCarvin32 & davepl both of you have nice car's so lets all be nice to one another.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:12 PM

NSX
I don't think its bad that Davepl has AMG on the back of his car. Its not like he is trying to pass his car for something it is not. Its a CL600 and that's what it says.

Having said this, I would strip it all. Badges, stickers, emblems, liscence plate frames with writing, they all take away from this car's very clean lines.

Ask the guy that penned the beautiful design of the CL. He probably cried when the corporate advertisers forced him to hang stuff off the trunklid.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
In my opinion the worst part of the CL55 Kompresors badging is the horrible and even tacky V8 Kompressor emblems on the side. Those were the first thing I removed.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM

NSX
Adam I hope you didn't throw them away, you can probably get big bucks for them on e-bay...
Old 12-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I have them still in a ziplock bag. Every letter/number is a separate piece. Would be easier just to order new emblems if anyone would want them. I think the dealer gets about $40.00 a side for them.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:20 AM

NSX
Out of curiosity, how difficult is it to take them off? I would like to take them off of mine. Are they glued on? how did you get them off without ruining the paint?
Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
They are on with adhesive tape. Just warm them up with a hair dryer or on a warm day use dental floss or fishing line to remove them.

Afterwards clean up the left over adhesive with some adhesive remover (Goo Gone, etc) or polish it out. Re-wax and drive.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:23 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by davepl
I'll hang my neck out here for you. I have a CL600 with an AMG badge. Why did I do it? A couple of reasons:

a) The car has the AMG Sport package
b) The car has the AMG trans controller
c) The car has the AMG wheels
d) The car makes 150 more hp than the AMG55 (w/ Renntech BiTurbo V12)

Is it still wrong? Sure. But no more wrong than Mercedes under-rating the stock Biturbo V12 at 490hp so as not to upset the AMG buyers. And no more wrong than Adam putting a wood wheel in an AMG car. What next, retrofitting Alcantara headliners? :-)

- Dave

I was actually considering retrofitting Alcantera headliner in a CL55 if I decide to go with that instead of S55...is that korny?