CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Why doesn't BMW supercharge their engines make the race more interesting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't BMW supercharge their engines make the race more interesting

I was wondering how come BMW doesn't turbocharge their engines? Also would it be possible to turbocharge that already crazy 500 h.p. v-10 that is naturally aspirated. That thing smokes just about all the cars out there already. It already runs a 12.4 second quarter-mile and 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds. I would think that if that engine was turbocharged it would run somewhere in the 11's and 60 in about 4 seconds or maybe less.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:45 PM

would it be possible to supercharge the BMW's 500 horsepower V10? That would be something truly amazing. BMW should launch a 600 horsepower v-12 to keep up with the 65's. I wonder if they will move away from their philosophy of only producing naturally aspirate engines?
Old 01-29-2005, 06:01 PM

BMW's high compression engines are not a very good platform for adding boost. I've seen it done, but it's usually very expensive and I wonder what the engine life is like...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:05 PM

Yeah but imagine the numbers that would be put out by supercharged or turbocharged 500 hp V10's in the M5 and M6!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:17 PM

2006 VW Passat
bmw could do anything with the engines, still doesnt beat the hideous design they have
Old 01-29-2005, 06:30 PM

Yeah I personally don't like the look of the new 5-series but the M5 straightens that problem out. Also they could do anything to those engines and if one of their tuners perhaps Dinan or Schnitzer etc... decided to put some turbo's or supercharge those 500 horsepower v10's those cars would be serious speed rockets.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
BMW doesnt turbocharge or supercharge their engines because it does not go along with BMWs philosophy on building cars. BMWs are all about higher revving, building power, and are drivers cars. BMW coulkd easily go the route of AMG or Red Badged AUDIs are turbocharge their cars, but it would take away alittle bit of what makes a BMW a BMW. Not to mention there is no need to since their cars keep up with their forced induction rivals, and around a track its no contest.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM

your right I guess. It is after all BMW's philosophy that a car should not be turbocharged or supercharged or use forced induction in any way. I guess it is quite remarkable that BMW can achieve such amazing performance without turbocharging their engines. That is truly a hallmark of great engineering.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:23 AM

NSX
The issue is the powerband. AMG engines with forced induction put out lots of torque and power down low... this has a significantly different feel to it than a high reving motor that puts out its power up high.

On a track, with the right transmission, a car can be driven hard and the RPM's kept high... right in the BMW's power range. On the street, the enormous torque of the AMG engines will feel more powerful.

High torque has a much different feel than high horsepower.

The real reason that the M5/M6 can keep up with the more powerful AMG engines, is weight. The BMW's are lighter. The CL is a pretty hefty car.

You have to also remember that this supercharging/turbocharging by Mercedes is a relatively new thing. It is happening because the technology has improved enough in turbos and especially in superchargers to where MB considers them usable. Just 5 years ago this wasn't happening in the AMG camp anymore than it is happening now in the BMW camp.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 PM

2006 VW Passat
BMW does have a crazy philosophy about turbo/superchargers, but it is amazing that they can keep up with the incredible amg's.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Also one more thing. If you look at the torque band in a BMW its pretty flat and even through out the whole powerband, thats perfect for tracks, and eve on highway and streets.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Simple answer: It is NOT BMW M's philosophy to do as such. They MAY be forced o do Forced induction as will Ferrari because we are reaching a limit with N/A engines. Can you imagine a 7.0L V12 M5? Not too good for weight distribution

As far as powerband is concerned, It is essentially to do with the linear and less torque characteristics of the M5 engine. Due to less torque and making it very linear throughout the engine's powerband, the M5's ability to exploit it is more easier.
Due to the torque characteristics of supercharged engines, the vast majority are also very linear in torque curves and consummate of what a regular 6500rpm max engine, if N/A would produce, the difference lies in the amount of torque. Since the torque curve of a Kompressor engine follows the torque chracteristcs of a normally aspirated engine, just more of it, it is fallacy to call the 55K's "inadequate" on the track in this respect. If anything, it is the lack of gears, the low final ratio and the handling (suspension/tyres/weight) that deems the cars inadequate. Long gearing don't help on the track when engine braking is so vital. With Mercedes' 5-Speeds, the downshfting is hard and mostly 2nd gear is used for the vast majority of corners, whereas with other concentrated purists's car with more gears are probably using 2nd/3rd or even 4th...

The lack of the M5's torque must also be put to rest, once and for all. Due to the shortfall in torque of that V10 vs a 55 Kompressor, not of the engine itself, and with such a high redline to produce its power, the M5 can make full use of quicker gearing, and with 7 ratios, and pretty high final drive will result. The single most important benefit of this, is that quicker gearing multiplies the torque output of any engine. Therefore, the M5 has as much torque if not more going to the wheels than the 55K... Think of it as the "1st gear" effect throughout each gear. See how the M5 is quicker now?

Conclusion: BMW/Ferrari/Lamborghini may be forced to use F/I to achieve high power, but in the current climate, only something extremely stupid like a 700hp AMG engine will make them do so..... So it shouldn't be that long.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:21 PM

then MB will provide the very inspiration needed to make other car companies such as BMW and Audi and Porsche come out with turbocharged vehicles that whip the pants off of the Benz. (That will come via the 700 horsepower car I think either BMW or Audi will release!)
Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Originally Posted by ENARANG
(That will come via the 700 horsepower car I think either BMW or Audi will release!)
Where did you get this information?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:39 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Originally Posted by ENARANG
then MB will provide the very inspiration needed to make other car companies such as BMW and Audi and Porsche come out with turbocharged vehicles that whip the pants off of the Benz. (That will come via the 700 horsepower car I think either BMW or Audi will release!)

There is nothing stopping the rest from doing what MB has done. The difference is, a 600hp CL/S/SL at 150GBP will sell, wheras an equivalent or more powerful BMW will not. AMG built the 65 not for bragging rights, albeit they come automatically from making the torquiest car in the world, instead they built it because they can., I don't think BMW could do the same and sell their cars. I know BMW fans will not like this, take a look at the M1, if sales of the M6 are successful then this assumption is rebbutable