CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

window tinting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
window tinting

Has anyone tinted the windows of their CL? I was thinking about a light tint to keep the sun out, and to keep gawkers from looking in all the time. But I have noticed the rear window has a real unique something in there, I don't know if its the antenna or the defroster, it has dozens of lines going through it. I don't want some clown with a layer of tint and a razor blade to damage something. And I want to be able to take it back off with the car intact.

Does anyone here have any experience with this and can help shed some light?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I had my CL tinted about 12 months ago. I went with 35% Madico Onyx charcoal all around. Madico Onyx is a metallic tint, which some people say causes FM signal reduction however I have not noticed any difference.

The lines in the rear window are all defroster lines. The FM/AM antennas are located behind the black upper strip of the window under the headliner.

Make sure whatever you do that the tint shop lines the inner plastic window scrapers on each door panel with moleskin or you will start to get vertical scratches eventually from the hard plastic scrappers rubbing up against the tint.

Some shops cut the scrapers out but that leads to increased road noise and loose fitting windows. Lining them with moleskin which is like felt with an adhesive backing will cure these problems.

Also, make sure they are careful not to get water behind the door panels. The electronic modules located in the doors are an expensive part to replace.

Weather you go with metallic or non metallic tint is up to you. Metallic tint will last longer, has a deeper darkness to it and won't purple over time due to the UV saturation.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:16 PM

window tinting

Originally Posted by awiner
I had my CL tinted about 12 months ago. I went with 35% Madico Onyx charcoal all around. Madico Onyx is a metallic tint, which some people say causes FM signal reduction however I have not noticed any difference.

The lines in the rear window are all defroster lines. The FM/AM antennas are located behind the black upper strip of the window under the headliner.

Make sure whatever you do that the tint shop lines the inner plastic window scrapers on each door panel with moleskin or you will start to get vertical scratches eventually from the hard plastic scrappers rubbing up against the tint.

Some shops cut the scrapers out but that leads to increased road noise and loose fitting windows. Lining them with moleskin which is like felt with an adhesive backing will cure these problems.

Also, make sure they are careful not to get water behind the door panels. The electronic modules located in the doors are an expensive part to replace.

Weather you go with metallic or non metallic tint is up to you. Metallic tint will last longer, has a deeper darkness to it and won't purple over time due to the UV saturation.

Adam
Do you mind if I ask you where you got your car tinted?
I am planning on getting my 202 re-tinted and want to know of good places to have it done.
Many thanks
Raoul
Old 02-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I used Solar Control in North Hills, California.

http://www.solarco.com/

818-891-6060

16149 Roscoe Blvd., North Hills, CA 91343-6226
Old 02-02-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by awiner
I used Solar Control in North Hills, California.

http://www.solarco.com/

818-891-6060

16149 Roscoe Blvd., North Hills, CA 91343-6226
Thanks Adam,

I will contact them.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 PM

NSX
Adam how do you put moleskin there? I mean these guys will look at me like I am nuts. The question is does the door panel need to be removed? I am not sure I want tint guys touching a screw on my car. Can it be done without removing the panel? I guess I will go with the same tint you got. I just have to find the right place.