CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

OPERATION: Widebody W215 CL - About To Commence

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
OPERATION: Widebody W215 CL - About To Commence

I don't know if most of you guys are aware, but I have an extremely custom W215 chasis CL55 AMG. In the quest for my visionary goal and complete uniqueness, the body shop that I go to (that did my one-off custom hood and vented front bumper flawlessly) after showing them pictures, they are officially going to take on the task of doing a custom rear-only widebody/fender flares If going by their track record of the work they've done for me so far on my CL, then there is no doubt that this will be one of the finest sets of custom rear widebody arches ever molded onto a Mercedes-Benz.

For those that would like to know, here's how it started. For the longest, I've always felt that these CLs in AMG form always needed two things; a rear diffuser and wider fenders. If you read through some earlier threads I made, I've always been on a search for the best way to have a wider look in the rear. Even though it's a 26K$ kit I was contemplating the WALD Monster Kit:

Then add to my own touches to it. But there's a few things about it that I couldn't justify spending all that money for and then not be utterly happy. Like the way you need to use the over-grown spoiler because the rear quarter panel has these horns that connect to the center of the rear to form the spoiler. And to be honest, even though it's rare (I believe only 4 cars in existence have the full kit installed) it looks outdated. I tried to see if I could only make the rear quarters work and shave down the horns, but you'd need the surrounding pieces, it wouldn't flow at all without them. So I just stopped thinking about that.

Then I found out a company called Vitt made a rear widebody:

I never got a straight-forward answer as to exactly what this rear widebody included. But I ordered it, it was supposed to get shipped from Japan from a company called Auto-Style.jp that said they could get Vitt parts as there really isn't a US Distributor for Vitt. Besides Vitt's website, they're the first site that comes up when you Google "W215 Vitt". So I thought they were reputable, paid for it and paid the extremely enormous shipping charge. Then they told me it was going to be more money for shipping. Bit my tongue and said Ok. Then a week later they told me they couldn't process Paypal payments for some reason so they wanted me to wire them money to some place in deep Japan?? I just canceled and got my money back from Paypal as that was too suspicious. So I gave up on these as they're very near impossible to order if you live in the US.

Then I saw the E55 Rollin' Art was making a full widebody for. That's what made me want to go custom. I have never seen a widebody being created on a Mercedes-Benz before so I had no inkling of how something like that would be done until they started posting pics like this

So we're going custom now which should finally solve my dilemma.

I have a very discerning and demanding taste. People that work for me, my friends, family, they all know that just a "good job" doesn't cut it with me with most things, especially my car. So when this is getting developed, that bodyshop knows I will not accept it if it doesn't look like something that Mercedes-AMG themselves did to my car.
Price is not something I'm concerned with for this. I will provide all the funds necessary needed to make this widebody look like it was meant to be there. You have to pay to play and be the only one with something on an AMG, right? This is going to be a fairly big job, but not crazy. Both rear quarter panels, the rear bumper and possibly the doors and side skirts are all going to need paint.

Now to the design. I've opted to only do the arches on the rear. The front fenders I have on my car look perfect and I'm totally satisfied with them and will leave them un-altered. I always have like that staggered \ / look to a car, when the rear is much wider than the front. My goal is to be able to fit AT LEAST 315 wide tires in the rear, 330 would be ideal if room allows.
I really like how this Rollin'Art widebody came out - Only at certain angles though. Me, I won't settle for that. I need it to look great at every angle in my eyes.

The way it is shaped from the rear in this picture is a view I'd love to have accomplished on my CL

However, I would be very unsatisfied if my shop gave me the car back with the angle looking at it from the front looking like this:

It just doesn't flow properly, it looks stuck on and too bulbous for my taste.

The way I'd want it done is to emulate the way the arch starts from the quarter panel like the way it starts on the CLK Black Series.

It flows very naturally, and that's how I want it done. Surely it can be done right. The W209 CLK was designed with it's base shape before they added the wide flares for the CLK Black Series, DTM. Those flares were an after thought in design. My car too, is a coupe so this I believe will be a better project than if done with a four door.
The lines are very critical as to where the arch starts, how high up it goes, how much it flares out and when it starts blending back in to the rear of the body. Luckily, the guy who has done previous bodywork for me, is one of those -best-kept-secret kind of guys that has such a fine and precise eye and is impeccable with his hands and with the nature of the principles of design, in general. He hates to put out work that looks tacked on. So I have the guy for the job, I just need some pointers, advice to get the best out of this.

What I was wondering was the widebody Rollin'Art has created, what kind of metal do you think they used for their build? I can't find their contact info...
Also, would you do what they did and start from the side skirts going up the rear quarter panel and then back into the bumper -- Or would you just start from the quarter panel and just go back to the rear bumper?

This is something I've always wanted to see done properly on a W215. Thankfully, I have a place that will take it on as soon as I'm 100% ready as to exactly how I want it executed. I'm curious as to what the cost and final time of RA's E55 widebody build was... I'm assuming with everything (paint, labor, time, materials) this will be a $5K-$7K project for a proper job.

Please, if you guys were in this situation and were comitted to having that aggressive look, what would you do to achieve this in a precise-beautifully designed way.

Thanks for reading
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 cl55 amg, 2008 Range Rover Sport SC
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
I don't know if most of you guys are aware, but I have an extremely custom W215 chasis CL55 AMG. In the quest for my visionary goal and complete uniqueness, the body shop that I go to (that did my one-off custom hood and vented front bumper flawlessly) after showing them pictures, they are officially going to take on the task of doing a custom rear-only widebody/fender flares If going by their track record of the work they've done for me so far on my CL, then there is no doubt that this will be one of the finest sets of custom rear widebody arches ever molded onto a Mercedes-Benz.

For those that would like to know, here's how it started. For the longest, I've always felt that these CLs in AMG form always needed two things; a rear diffuser and wider fenders. If you read through some earlier threads I made, I've always been on a search for the best way to have a wider look in the rear. Even though it's a 26K$ kit I was contemplating the WALD Monster Kit:

Then add to my own touches to it. But there's a few things about it that I couldn't justify spending all that money for and then not be utterly happy. Like the way you need to use the over-grown spoiler because the rear quarter panel has these horns that connect to the center of the rear to form the spoiler. And to be honest, even though it's rare (I believe only 4 cars in existence have the full kit installed) it looks outdated. I tried to see if I could only make the rear quarters work and shave down the horns, but you'd need the surrounding pieces, it wouldn't flow at all without them. So I just stopped thinking about that.

Then I found out a company called Vitt made a rear widebody:

I never got a straight-forward answer as to exactly what this rear widebody included. But I ordered it, it was supposed to get shipped from Japan from a company called Auto-Style.jp that said they could get Vitt parts as there really isn't a US Distributor for Vitt. Besides Vitt's website, they're the first site that comes up when you Google "W215 Vitt". So I thought they were reputable, paid for it and paid the extremely enormous shipping charge. Then they told me it was going to be more money for shipping. Bit my tongue and said Ok. Then a week later they told me they couldn't process Paypal payments for some reason so they wanted me to wire them money to some place in deep Japan?? I just canceled and got my money back from Paypal as that was too suspicious. So I gave up on these as they're very near impossible to order if you live in the US.

Then I saw the E55 Rollin' Art was making a full widebody for. That's what made me want to go custom. I have never seen a widebody being created on a Mercedes-Benz before so I had no inkling of how something like that would be done until they started posting pics like this

So we're going custom now which should finally solve my dilemma.

I have a very discerning and demanding taste. People that work for me, my friends, family, they all know that just a "good job" doesn't cut it with me with most things, especially my car. So when this is getting developed, that bodyshop knows I will not accept it if it doesn't look like something that Mercedes-AMG themselves did to my car.
Price is not something I'm concerned with for this. I will provide all the funds necessary needed to make this widebody look like it was meant to be there. You have to pay to play and be the only one with something on an AMG, right? This is going to be a fairly big job, but not crazy. Both rear quarter panels, the rear bumper and possibly the doors and side skirts are all going to need paint.

Now to the design. I've opted to only do the arches on the rear. The front fenders I have on my car look perfect and I'm totally satisfied with them and will leave them un-altered. I always have like that staggered \ / look to a car, when the rear is much wider than the front. My goal is to be able to fit AT LEAST 315 wide tires in the rear, 330 would be ideal if room allows.
I really like how this Rollin'Art widebody came out - Only at certain angles though. Me, I won't settle for that. I need it to look great at every angle in my eyes.

The way it is shaped from the rear in this picture is a view I'd love to have accomplished on my CL

However, I would be very unsatisfied if my shop gave me the car back with the angle looking at it from the front looking like this:

It just doesn't flow properly, it looks stuck on and too bulbous for my taste.

The way I'd want it done is to emulate the way the arch starts from the quarter panel like the way it starts on the CLK Black Series.

It flows very naturally, and that's how I want it done. Surely it can be done right. The W209 CLK was designed with it's base shape before they added the wide flares for the CLK Black Series, DTM. Those flares were an after thought in design. My car too, is a coupe so this I believe will be a better project than if done with a four door.
The lines are very critical as to where the arch starts, how high up it goes, how much it flares out and when it starts blending back in to the rear of the body. Luckily, the guy who has done previous bodywork for me, is one of those -best-kept-secret kind of guys that has such a fine and precise eye and is impeccable with his hands and with the nature of the principles of design, in general. He hates to put out work that looks tacked on. So I have the guy for the job, I just need some pointers, advice to get the best out of this.

What I was wondering was the widebody Rollin'Art has created, what kind of metal do you think they used for their build? I can't find their contact info...
Also, would you do what they did and start from the side skirts going up the rear quarter panel and then back into the bumper -- Or would you just start from the quarter panel and just go back to the rear bumper?

This is something I've always wanted to see done properly on a W215. Thankfully, I have a place that will take it on as soon as I'm 100% ready as to exactly how I want it executed. I'm curious as to what the cost and final time of RA's E55 widebody build was... I'm assuming with everything (paint, labor, time, materials) this will be a $5K-$7K project for a proper job.

Please, if you guys were in this situation and were comitted to having that aggressive look, what would you do to achieve this in a precise-beautifully designed way.

Thanks for reading
Nah.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Why not hire an artist like this

http://www.tavishighlander.com/autom...ustration.html

or any of the other automotive rendering artists to come up with a design to ensure you and the body shop are on the same page with everything.

Last edited by suicidal4life; 08-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
The E looks terrible. The lines don't flow anymore.

R.K.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
I did a quick photo-chop of how i think it would look if it were done well, the image below it is the original for comparison. I think it looks a lot wider, harder and lower with the changes i made

That Widebody E doesn't look that great because the fender flare is too thin and the wheel arch is too close to the rear door to make it any thicker, the CL doesn't have that problem

Changes I Made:
- Replaced tail light with newer style and widened them to be flush at the bottom corners
- Removed the spoiler
- Swapped the exhaust with AMG 4 tip and added a diffuser

Last edited by CharlestonN; 08-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 PM

2005 cl55 eurocharged flash
Originally Posted by CharlestonN

Changes I Made:
- Replaced tail light with newer style and widened them to be flush at the bottom corners
- Removed the spoiler

[/IMG]
CharlestonN, you have good taste my man!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
That looks way better.

R.K.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 GTS Solar
This should be an interesting build!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

2003 cl55 amg, 2008 Range Rover Sport SC
Dude that photo shop??? I want it
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
I did a quick photo-chop of how i think it would look if it were done well, the image below it is the original for comparison. I think it looks a lot wider, harder and lower with the changes i made

That Widebody E doesn't look that great because the fender flare is too thin and the wheel arch is too close to the rear door to make it any thicker, the CL doesn't have that problem

Changes I Made:
- Removed the spoiler

You should try being a designer for automobiles, Fine taste.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 AM

03' CL55 AMG
Haha, let me see if i have a plugin for photoshop that will allow me to export this into an actual car

And thanks for the compliments everyone!

I think this would be a good project if done right, can't wait to see the end result

Originally Posted by 559cl55amg
Dude that photo shop??? I want it

Last edited by CharlestonN; 08-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Legit Photoshop...looks proper!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
You guys are nuts!!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cl65 AMG
Go for it !

Its a big challenge trying to make a wide body version.
I would follow your instants, you will know its right the second you see it.
Good Luck !
Old 08-21-2012, 05:13 AM
Banned

MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by driveability
Go for it !

Its a big challenge trying to make a wide body version.
I would follow your instants, you will know its right the second you see it.
Good Luck !

So far going with my instincts has gotten me in great places.

P.S. Great job on the PhotoShop. It would be awesome if you could do that WALD side shot altered like the rear. That would really help see the profile of it.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
Someone Photoshop the front and sides now...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM

CLK63 BS
Any progress?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 247 Likes on 213 Posts
That wald kit is so ghetto... I am speechless.

If you do a one off wide body kit- do not emulate the wald kit.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
That WALD car is disgusting beyond words.

Also evidently "English wheel metal crafting" isn't part of the Rollin Art skillset arsenal.. I guess beating the **** out of the metal into the general form youre seeking and then covering it in body filler is one approach.

However on topic, I think the W215 CL done in the spirit of a CLK BS would be absolutely sick! I prefer the looks of the older round headlight body style to the newer generation.

Last edited by Sir-Boost-a-Lot; 10-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
The easiest way is to find sheetmetal that approximates the flare and contour of what you want to achieve..
It takes vision and a talented body man to get the end results with minimal body filler by using butt welds.

For instance, I'm completing a three year build of a tribute/replica of a very rare C124 widebody...

Original kit as offered by AMG in 1988

Started in the rear with 1980's Porsche 911SC sheetmetal...
Porsche sheetmetal closely matches AMG kit sheetmetal

Trimmed and shape to original AMG contours

Filler only required to skim coat and cover imperfections left by grinding the welds and sheetmetal hammer.

Almost finished build
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM

C
Nice photoshop and nice build RBYCC!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
I like it. Good-luck on the project.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
Anyone who puts that wing on a CL55 should be stoned taliban style.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
550HP+ ///AMG CL55 Kompressor, Ducati 916bp, Yamaha R1 WSBK replica
OP's got alot of talk.. but no updates?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
That Wald monster body kit looks like $h1t. Really looks like they were trying to mate the rear end of a '90's Ferrari with the W215.

$26k for that kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OPERATION: Widebody W215 CL - About To Commence