CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

My w215 CL55 ABC Delete Thread - Yellow Speed Racing Coilover Conversion and Review

Old 05-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550 | Sold: '03 CL55 '06 E55 '00 E55, '97 BMW 540i, '85, '87, '91, '93 &'94 Mazda RX-7s
My w215 CL55 ABC Delete Thread - Yellow Speed Racing Coilover Conversion and Review

Disclaimer

Please note that I will not be held responsible for any issues that may arise from others if they attempt to repeat this process. I am NOT a mechanic. If you choose to pursue a similar conversion please realize that you do so at your own risk.

I am only writing this up because of the wealth of knowledge I have received from the forums. I am not affiliated with any of the companies discussed in this write-up.

Lastly, thank-you to anyone that has put up with my constant e-mails, questions and harassment – you know who you are.

Introduction

Please note that I understand that there are quite a lot of purists out there that believe converting from an ABC suspension to a coilover suspension is akin to blasphemy. Some would argue that coilovers replace an otherwise ingenious system with one that cannot simply compete with a precision engineered Mercedes solution. I understand your points and acknowledge your decisions to stay stock. However, frankly speaking, the W215 chassis is now well over 10 years old and the plummeting prices of W215 cars are evidence that Mercedes-Benz over-engineered tried-and-tested part of the automobile.

While I understand that hydraulic suspensions have been around for decades, IMHO it just does not make any sense to pressurize and contain expensive flammable liquid in rubber hoses within close proximity to heated engine components. Don’t blame the dealer guys – they did not design the cars nor do they manufacture the parts. In fact, my local dealer and service advisor have been very supportive of all my efforts to keep my ABC running in tip-top shape at minimal cost.

From my standpoint, I am prepared to accept a minor level of ride degradation (if needed) as a trade-off for reliability. Let’s just be honest, it is darn near impossible to design any intricate suspension system for reliable, long-term use based on computer controlled pressurized flammable fluids or pressurized air. It would be different if we could replace or fix the entire system for peanuts in the event of any failure. However, we all know that we cannot – hence my post…

History

My addiction is a pristine Tectite Gray, 2003 Mercedes-Benz CL55. I purchased this car in 2013 with 54k miles and I completed a coilover conversion on April 28th, 2016 with 71k miles on the odometer.

After 3 years of ownership, I decided to convert my Mercedes ABC suspension to a Yellow-Speed Coilover suspension not because of an ABC failure, but simply because I wanted to drive the car without any concern for ABC issues in the future. This car is a classic design and Mercedes did us all a dis-service by releasing this chassis with an ABC only option.

Although the prior owner had the ABC system replaced in 2008 @ 30,000 miles, I have not had any significant ABC issues with my car over the last 3 years. This is because I watched it like a hawk. During the last three years, I have had 3 ABC messages flash on my dash at start up. These were fleeting messages that always went away after a full ABC inspection followed by a FLUSH-N-RODEO. And yes, I was told to sell the car before it cost me $8,000 to $10,000 to repair. Here is the real kicker… after sitting for a while, my car never sagged nor were there any visible signs of any hydraulic leaks – and yet I received transient warning messages that would have had me invest thousands for no reason! I come from the school of preventive care which involves a religious “FLUSH-N-RODEO” and ABC system full inspection each year. The point is I have maintained my car and yet I have always been on the lookout for ABC failure.

As a helpful note to owners, if you are receiving the ABC red or white dashboard “hot flashes” and you are told that something needs replacing without any visible symptoms … FLUSH-N-RODEO before accepting a $2,500 service bill that accomplishes nothing for you. I have avoided some costly repairs because a FLUSH-N-RODEO has purged a lightly contaminated ABC system. Particles Happen!

Research

So for my last 3 years of ownership, I did my research to find out as much information as possible about my options for replacing the ABC system in my car.

Here is a listing of the most informative posts I have found to date. If there are any others, please let me know and I will update this list. Hopefully this will help the community – so please no naysayers and PAY-IT-FORWARD.

1) Darren B - The BIBLE - Hands-down the best definitive blog on ABC, its components and issues: Mercedes Benz ABC System Blogspot

2) Seyath - ABC Coilover FAQ – Sevath – https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...imate-faq.html

3) OCKlasse – The Early Pioneers – Fantastic Effort - My ABC Delete Thread

4) ctravis595 – Another Pioneering Efforts – ABC to coil over conversion guinea pig here

5) 4themasses –New and informative – My approach - Coilover Option??

6) petergaryoakley – New and informative – My approach - w215 55 AMG ABC Delete

Additional Research

Here's some extending fun reading if you want to see just how much we have all discussed this issue:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...oil-overs.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...lp-please.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ers-coils.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...rnott-inc.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...onversion.html

While there are still a lot of threads out there discussing coilover options for our cars, I have only chosen to list the above because IMHO this is sufficient for any of us to make a decision on stock vs. coilovers.

Options

Consequently, after months of research and messaging forum members there really are only 3 legitimate options that I know of that are available to us. (I will update if anyone knows of others and wants to send me a summary for this area)

1) Purists Non-Factory Option: Arnott Industries - Shock Rebuild

Pros: Well-established brand. Solid and reliable with a warranty. Still expensive but cheaper than Mercedes OEM. Buy-back of faulty shock for rebuild. ABC system remains in place with a solid active suspension system. Re-builds in the USA alleviates warranty claims concerns. Great Service and reachable by Phone.

Cons: More expensive than coilover options below. Does not eliminate other expensive ABC components from the system.

2) Coilover Option #1: Strutmasters Coilover Solution Includes Light Fix to Disable ABC warning message

Pros: Coilover system eliminates the need for ABC components altogether. Several documented instances of successful installs. Cheaper than Arnott approach. Made in the USA alleviates warranty concerns. Great service and reachable by phone.

Cons: Not height or dampening adjustable. Softer ride as stated by others. While some approve of the solution, there is a general consensus that this option still leaves the car riding high even though quality seems good. Additional legitimate concerns are raised by Purists and some converters about slight body roll at high speed. General consensus is that while acceptable, sway bars would be a nice-to-have or a must-have for any coilover option. The cost of the ABC cancellation module can be avoided by unplugging the CANBUS connector from the ABC computer (will be confirming this shortly)

Please view the STRUTMASTERS you-tube videos below - This is what is required for a coilover conversion. But big caution to all, while some have attempted this at home, if you are not mechanically inclined please find a shop that specializes in racing set-ups and coilovers. My conversion using Yellow Speeds coilovers hit two main snags…. seizures in one quick release hose mechanism and one hex suspension bolt on a lower control arm required drilling to release.

Front:
Rear:

The hydraulic lines needed to be capped (3/8" brass female threaded pipe flare caps) and zip tied to parts of the chassis.

3) Coilover Option #2: Yellow-Speed Racing Dynamic Pro Sport Fully Adjustable Coilovers Solution

Pros: Height and dampening adjustable. Good and snug fit to W215 chassis with seemingly good spring rates and a 15-month warranty. Cheapest of the options listed ($892) with (operative word here) some manufacturing and testing proof online:

Cons: New-kid-on-the-block for W215 coilovers. Fitment and quality look good, however, given international origin the warranty (15 months), support and build quality remain subject to a longer testing period. Limited reviews available for heavy german cars - One recent review in UK forums for a W215 and another long-term review for an 04-05 AUDI S4. There was a delay in manufacture and delivery but I eventually got the package in the end.

BTW – Bilstein does have a coilover conversion for the W220 (not sold in the US) with a light cancelling module. However, I was not sure if it would fit the CL. The Bilstein solution costs $1,700-$2,300. If anyone wants this info PM me.

Decision

I eventually selected the Yellow-Speed Coilovers because they are priced fairly and they allowed me greater flexibility in setting up my car. IMO the ABC set-up sits to high and I personally never liked the twitchy ride from the ABC system.

I have read a lot of biased opinions on the web regarding quality of coilover solutions just because of their point of manufacture. So just to clarify, the Yellow Speeds are manufactured in Taiwan – along with a whole host of other well-known brands that are designed, tested and tracked around the globe. From my standpoint, they seem well manufactured and deserve a fair evaluation not tainted by bias. Look, if they are bad, I will reverse the work in my trial period. So my goal is to approach the conversion in 3 Stages:

1) Coilover Conversion - Replace the ABC suspension with Coilovers (cap the lines), evaluate and proceed or revert back,
2) Sway Bars Installation - Add front and rear W220 Sway bars and Lower Control Arms and evaluate,
3) Removal any remaining ABC Components - Remove all other ABC components (including the Pump and Power Steering combo) and sell them to anyone interested.

STAGE 1 – Coilover Conversion Installation

By pure luck, while looking for a rotary shop (I have owned 5 RX-7s in my prior life) I stumbled across Speed 1 (formerly KD Rotary or Allentown, PA) – a well-known rotary shop within 5 minutes of my office. After an initial visit, watching them work and speaking to the shop foreman (Dave) I elected to trust them with the conversion because of their positive online presence and reviews. I could also see rotaries shipped as far as Florida because their owners believed in their work.

After our initial discussions, I sent Dave an email detailing the ABC system with pretty much the same links I have in this write-up. He actually read the information, watched the videos and was genuinely excited to perform this conversion! The shop estimate is 6-8 hours at the shop labor rate. Please note however, that this can be affected by unexpected items… seized connectors or strut lower bolts etc… you never know what you will find once you start the work.

Post-installation, Dave sent me the attached installation photos and notes detailing the work performed by Speed 1!

Speed 1 is an organized and extremely well-run business that performs full tear-downs and re-builds of RX-7s as well as any other specialized track/race car. The shop is clean and organized. Their techs were easy to speak with and informative. They were patient, sincere and courteous. If you are interested in a similar conversion I would recommend you call the shop and speak with Dave.

Oh… one big installation gotcha… leave the dampening adjustment pins in the dampening mechanism when installing the rear shocks. Once in place, it is virtually impossible to insert the adjusting pins into the top of the strut because of limited clearance between the shock tower brace and the rear windshield. This is not noted in the manufacturer’s installation. If you forget this little tidbit, you will have to lower the rear shocks again just to get the dampening adjusting pins back in the adjusting mechanism. Leave them there and cover them with the factory cover.

STAGE 1 – Coilover Conversion Driving Impressions

Please note that I have seen a lot of negative comments online about cheap coil-overs resulting in a poor ride. And, honestly speaking we had to go through a host of settings to get the car to handle as it currently does. We only persisted because of feedback from a UK Board Member that confirmed a firm ride without any issues. Yellow-Speed provides quite a lot of information on setting the coilovers to match your specific driving habits – please take the time to read it. Perfection is an iterative process.

So, upon my first start up, the ABC angel of death (Red Warning) firmly advised me to visit my workshop! No Thank-you! The ABC message was no longer scary… strange feeling. Anyway, Dave and I took an initial ride together at low speeds to confirm the installation had no noticeable or dangerous issues. All was well – we got up to 50 mph on several nice and easy winding roads.

Since the initial install and several height and dampening adjustments later, I have had several spirited drives reaching the “speed limit” in my area without any glaring problems. In fact, I am certain that I can surpass the posted “speed limit” – but that would open me up to all sort of unnecessary problems.

After over 200 miles and playing with dampening settings (0-33) per struts, my initial evaluation is that the car feels more planted and less twitchy. However, the real evaluation needs to be addressed in road driving conditions I experience regularly the North-East Region.

I live in an area that is the shipping hub for the North-East Region of the United States. This means that on any given day, the roads surrounding me are subject to 1,000s of trucks picking up and delivering goods to various warehouses in my area. Consequently, this has resulted in hellish driving conditions on the local and state roads. In other words, this is a perfect proving ground for this installation.

Please note that I have not yet performed my alignment since the conversion and I will do so this Monday.

So let’s evaluate this coilover solution by 6 road types. These are the following road conditions that have plagued me and I continue to use to evaluate these coilovers:

1. Road Type #1 - Straight Smooth Roads

Yellow-Speed is the clear winner with a much smoother and solid predictable feel. IMO it has a better ride quality than ABC unhindered by computer initiated reactions to any road irregularities. I have reached the 80-90 mph mark (in several scenarios with no other cars around me) and the car remains stable. Higher speeds would definitely be possible without a loss in stability.

2. Road Type #2 – Roads with Pot-holes and Bumps

Yellow-Speed handles this much better than the OEM ABC System. In all honesty, the tendency was for the ABC to adjust to the road, but in most cases it makes the ride very harsh when it encounters pot-holes and bumps. The Yellow-Speed coilovers soaked up these road irregularities impressively.

3. Road Type #3 – Roads with Speed Bumps

Again, Yellow-Speed handles this much better than the OEM ABC System. ABC was harsh and I would wince each time I drove over a speed bump because I thought feedback was so bad that I had damaged a wheel. I have passed over my dreaded speed bumps without feeling it at all on the Yellow-Speed Set-up.

4. Road Type #4 – Entrance and Exit Ramps

ABC will always be better because the ABC computer module can always compensate for body lean at all speeds. However, Yellow-Speed did perform very well though. I have gotten up to 70 mph on an exit and entrance ramp with the Yellow-Speed solution and it remained firm and planted. It may be able to take more abuse but that will never truly be needed in real driving conditions. Also, dampening may play a part in keeping the car panted in the extremes for this test.

5. Road Type #5 – Uneven/Wavy Roads with Several Rise and Falls

Again, please remember the road conditions I am speaking off. Specifically, in an area with heavy trucking the interstate is warped beyond belief! Yellow-Speed did not fair too well here but the folks at Yellow-Speed have assured me that this is due to me not having the car aligned yet. While the ABC handled these changes somewhat well (it was not great either - twitchy and loose feeling), the Yellow-Speed set-up resulted in somewhat bouncy ride that improved when I increasing my dampening settings. While better due to several dampening adjustments, I am still looking for a better handling than ABC and I will have the alignment done to eliminate any doubt about the conversion.

6. Road Type #6 – Road and Bridge Dips (Sharp Rising Bridge or Road after Dip)

Yellow-Speed did a decent job here, but I have experienced minor rubbing when the dip and rise are severe but this is also subject to car ride height settings (1/2 inch higher-no rubbing). The ABC system had similar problems here. Again the roads in my neighborhood have been abused.

Current Car Settings

Current Wheels: +2 from OEM, Lexanis, Fronts 20x8.5 (245/35ZR20), Rears 20x10 (275/30ZR20) – No fender rolling

Current Height: Front is 26.75 inches (1 finger clearance), Rear is 27 inches (2 fingers clearance).

Based on road tests I have progressed with all-round dampener adjustments of 15 from Softest, to 30 from Softest. Depending on your road conditions 15 to 25 is more than adequate.

I hope this write-up adds to the knowledge-base.

Pictures to follow later today.

Next Steps: long-term testing for durability and the addition of sway bars (may not be needed from what I am seeing already).

Remember to Pay-it-Forward!

Regards,

Double-A

------------------------

BEFORE PICTURES

Stock Ride Height

Stock Ride Height

INSTALLATION PICTURES

AFTER PICTURES

Last edited by aarkaah; 05-16-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Install pictures
The following 6 users liked this post by aarkaah:
AndreNY (05-18-2016), Aref (09-03-2017), BlownV8 (05-16-2016), Eggman34 (06-13-2022), Reckless (09-24-2016), ReZzZ320 (06-04-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2016, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
great info. i'll be following this.
thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 AM

'12 E550 | Sold: '03 CL55 '06 E55 '00 E55, '97 BMW 540i, '85, '87, '91, '93 &'94 Mazda RX-7s
I should mention that if anyone on the boards is close to Allentown PA, I would like to meet so we can check both the old ABC system or a Strutmasters conversion out. This would get us all an unbiased report. PM me if interested.

Double-A
Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Incredible write up.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Probably the best abc write up anywhere . Bravo !!

Where did you buy the yellow speeds ? The link in your post says £699 which is more than $892. Also by selling the 4 abc struts you could recoup more than $900 without too much difficulty if you determine you are not reverting to stock

I love how it sits now. Your stance certainly looks better . What was the total install time and cost , considering your Installs had a few snags and needed adjusting
Old 05-17-2016, 05:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
Double A, great write up and mucho thanks for sharing. With 3 high mileage 215 cl's I may need to invest in this. Any idea if the conversion shaved some lbs off?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Gents,

Many thanks on the reviews... but the real work was carried out by the folks that I acknowledged in the research area with their links.

I just wanted to put it all in one place.

Updates to questions coming now.

Double-A
Old 05-17-2016, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I wonder if they would do some for the SL? Another vendor is trying to sell SL coilovers for $7k plus. The need to make a profit is absolute but the markup of 1,000% seems a bit steep.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes
Probably the best abc write up anywhere . Bravo !!

Where did you buy the yellow speeds ? The link in your post says £699 which is more than $892. Also by selling the 4 abc struts you could recoup more than $900 without too much difficulty if you determine you are not reverting to stock

I love how it sits now. Your stance certainly looks better . What was the total install time and cost , considering your Installs had a few snags and needed adjusting
@tusabes,

Thanks. I purchased the set from the yellow-Speed Europe site. I double-checked my payment to them and it was 642.00 GBP which converted to $892 USD on January 26th.

I am not reverting because in all honesty the kit will suffice. And, even if I was reverting I would probably buy the Arnott rebuilds or try another coilover option if available to me. ABC was just too much drama for me. I will be selling the shocks soon - as I will use the money from the sale to fund Stage 2 - Sways. ( I have already purchased my sway parts from E-bay, AutohausAZ etc.)

Cost-to-Date:

1. Kit $892 delivered to my front-door.
2. Initial installation $705

Dave at Speed 1 adjusted as this was their first install of this kind. Shop Rate was $80 p/hr... assume 6-8 hours and anything north of 8 hours depending on complications. Again this is dependent on any issues they may or may not encounter. (for interested parties, buzz them if needed to clarify before committing)

3. Height adjustment and damper needle installed in read shocks permanently $85. (1 hour shop time)

Total Cost-to-Date: $1,682

Last edited by aarkaah; 05-17-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 02cl55amg
Double A, great write up and mucho thanks for sharing. With 3 high mileage 215 cl's I may need to invest in this. Any idea if the conversion shaved some lbs off?
@02cl55amg,

Can't tell on the lbs because last I checked we were still draining hydraulic fluid out of the stock shocks. But just for further information the entire Yellow Speed Package was 82.5 Lbs (take 5-10 Lbs off for packaging and tightening keys etc.) / 37.5 kgs.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
I wonder if they would do some for the SL? Another vendor is trying to sell SL coilovers for $7k plus. The need to make a profit is absolute but the markup of 1,000% seems a bit steep.
@BlownV8,

Not sure but you could check online or send the folks at Yellow-Speed a direct message. Regarding the other vendor, there may be a mark-up but in all honesty I am learning that you get what you pay for in life. "Life is like a box of chocolates"....sometimes you do get overcharged, sometimes its just right, and sometimes its a cheap solution that is truly crappy.

I don't drive my car that much as I spend half of my time travelling and the other half transporting kids and soccer equipment around in an SUV. So far, for the money, Yellow-Speed has done right by me. I will keep a watch for quality issues and will post as much as I can if I see any negatives for all.

If your vendor is the vendor I have read about the solution comes with custom engineered sway bars also - this means they did full R&D and went above and beyond. Suggest you consider the vendor, their reputation, write-ups, warranty, quality, support and then the price. Find someone that has the install, visit and go for a ride-a-long if they will let you.

Good luck on the SL quest.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by aarkaah
I should mention that if anyone on the boards is close to Allentown PA, I would like to meet so we can check both the old ABC system or a Strutmasters conversion out. This would get us all an unbiased report. PM me if interested.

Double-A
Any takers... local CL owners on 19"s or 20"s please with either Strutmasters installs or Stock ABC? I would like to meet up so we can re-evaluate.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Update on Road Type #5

Completed my alignment yesterday at my local MB dealer.
While Individual Camber was adjusted (all 4 are currently negative), Front camber could not be brought back within spec due to the drop in height of the car. Rear Individual camber was and still is in spec.

Individual Front Toe was out of spec (negative) and corrected to within spec (positive). Rear Toe was out of spec (positive) and correct to within spec (positive).

Overall Front an Rear Cross-Specs are all within Spec now. Front and Rear Total Toe was not in spec prior to the alignment.
While the ride is genuinely better - less twitchy and close to zero bouncing, I need to test an ABC stock car on the same set of roads before issuing a final verdict. Any takers?

Shop mechanic comment was the car feels firm and planted - they might have to take note as an option for some local customers.

They also attempted to delete (after assuring me that it was reversible) the ABC option from my car. I now get a White "ABC Display is Defective Message", but its fine because I can now click through my dash options upon entry to the car. Total cost for this was $60.00 (30 mins or less).

Can anyone tell me what the Strutmasters ABC delete module leaves you with once installed. Any ABC messages or All gone with full functionality?

Last edited by aarkaah; 05-17-2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: cleaning up
Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
Bravo! Thank you for taking the time to objectively illuminate a topic common to all W215 owners.

I'm with you - I do the maintenance religiously, but one serious twitch from the ABC and it's coil-overs for me :-)

Here is all the information on replacing the power-steering/ABC pump with a PS-only pump from a non-ABC car. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...st5500563.html

Last edited by smartadze; 05-17-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by smartadze
Bravo! Thank you for taking the time to objectively illuminate a topic common to all W215 owners.

I'm with you - I do the maintenance religiously, but one serious twitch from the ABC and it's coil-overs for me :-)

Here is all the information on replacing the power-steering/ABC pump with a PS-only pump from a non-ABC car. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...st5500563.html
@smartadze,

Thanks for the link. Perfect.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:13 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Great job!

You'll need to Stage III before you can do Stage II. ABC lines are in the way for the front sway bar. Remember to do the rear sway bar you will need a W220 rear subframe.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Great job!

You'll need to Stage III before you can do Stage II. ABC lines are in the way for the front sway bar. Remember to do the rear sway bar you will need a W220 rear subframe.
@OCKlasse,

Truly honored. Saw a lot of work from you. Does it need a w220 rear subframe? I was under the impression the rear sub-frame from the car just needed to be dropped for the w220 rear sway to be fitted and then reattached? This would be good to know.

Wouldn't fabricating an external sway bar be cheaper then?

On the fronts, the shop took a look and confirmed that the ABC lines there will need to go. The dealer disabled my abc anyway yesterday so i could go snipping!
Old 05-17-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mercedes cl w215 55 amg
I'm also in the process of removing abc from my cl 55 on the yellowspeed site it asks to select flat or slanted top mount I'm not sure witch one I need if you could clarify I would appreciate it. I have purchased a s500 power steering pump and resovour and it fits perfectly.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by brianomerc
I'm also in the process of removing abc from my cl 55 on the yellowspeed site it asks to select flat or slanted top mount I'm not sure witch one I need if you could clarify I would appreciate it. I have purchased a s500 power steering pump and resovour and it fits perfectly.
@brianomerc,

If you can avoid selecting it then do so or pick one and say you don't know which one fits in the comments section.

They will contact you to verify if flat or slanted. I had to take pictures and send it to them. Apparently there are two types of front towers (slanted or flat) for the struts.

Good luck. If you were local I would say test my conversion before taking the plunge. My idea about comfort may differ from yours.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:54 PM

Mercedes cl w215 55 amg
Thanks for your reply, ill do that, do u think you need the sway bars I'm hoping I won't need them.thanks for your offer of a test drive but I live in ireland 😀
Old 05-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by brianomerc
Thanks for your reply, ill do that, do u think you need the sway bars I'm hoping I won't need them.thanks for your offer of a test drive but I live in ireland ��
@brianomerc,

It really depends on your driving patterns and the roads. I don't really need it but I figure why not? I am now looking at the costs now and the process. OCKlasse pointed out something I was unaware of-the w220 rear sub-frame. So I might not go the sway bar route just yet. Plus it isn't cheap.

My biggest issue has been my roads. If your roads are decent then there is no need. Hope that helps.

Nice to see you are from IE.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by aarkaah
@brianomerc,

If you can avoid selecting it then do so or pick one and say you don't know which one fits in the comments section.

They will contact you to verify if flat or slanted. I had to take pictures and send it to them. Apparently there are two types of front towers (slanted or flat) for the struts.

Good luck. If you were local I would say test my conversion before taking the plunge. My idea about comfort may differ from yours.
Could you post those pics here and then verify which you used?

Great write up.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
couple of Benzos
damn man nice write up where was this 2 years ago when I had my CL.

I wonder how the car rides with these Yellow Speed coilovers I have BC Racing on my CLS and I love them
Old 05-18-2016, 05:47 PM

Mercedes cl w215 55 amg
Hi all I removed my left hand front abc strut this morning my top mount is slanted yellowspeed told me most cl are flat so double check before ordering.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by AndreNY
damn man nice write up where was this 2 years ago when I had my CL.

I wonder how the car rides with these Yellow Speed coilovers I have BC Racing on my CLS and I love them
@AndreNY,

You can always buy one with suspension issues for cheap and do this? After all we are talking about a 496hp reliable platform for 12-15k. That's insane.

I just hope my assessment matches what others encounter if they go this route. Hence the disclaimer at the top.

I'm sure there are several companies with coilovers that fit. It's just down to finding the fitment without the risk/cost to the owner I guess.

Last edited by aarkaah; 05-18-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My w215 CL55 ABC Delete Thread - Yellow Speed Racing Coilover Conversion and Review