CLA 35 AMG (C118) 2019 to present

Quirks I’ve noticed in the 3 weeks I’ve owned my 35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 35 AMG
Quirks I’ve noticed in the 3 weeks I’ve owned my 35

So here’s my personal experiences with my car so far. There’s been a couple times when I go to start the car it doesn’t respond and a message pops up on the screen: “Place the key in the Marked Space- See owners manual.” I just ended up placing the smart key on the wireless phone charging Pad behind the cup holder and it started. This has only happened 2 times but it’s kinda odd. According the manual, I need to have my smart key inspected. Hmmm... ok.

another quirk I’ve noticed is the eco start/stop causes the car to noticeably jerk when leaving a parking lot (gas station). Feels like the transmission gets confused or something.

Also, the Burmester system is loud, but the bass causes the door panels to rattle to the point of distraction.

having to connect your iPhone to Apple CarPlay via the Apple lightning connector into the MB supplied adapter, then plug the adapter into the little USB port behind the cup holders is annoying. No CarPlay Via Bluetooth is disappointing IMO.

speaking of phones, I have an iPhone 7 plus and it doesn’t fit in the cup holder. Do yourself a favor and buy a Weathertech Cup Phone. It’s a lifesaver.

also, there’s A LOT going on in the MBUX system. The steering wheel buttons take a lot of getting used to. I’ve noticed lagging in the black swipe buttons on the steering wheel, mixed with it being overly sensitive. Also, there are too many display options and too many choices within each display. So be prepared to sit down and get to know all the MBUX features after you get yours. In my opinion, it’s over complicated and a bit overwhelming.

Side note, the manual says there is a Dash Cam feature, but your have to have the navigation package with all the bells and whistles for it to be available. I don’t have it, so that feature isn’t available for me

the car sounds great in Sport+ mode. Love the crackles and pops. It’s pretty fast, but not a true “fast car”.. before I bought mine, I drove my brothers S5 and I gotta admit, that car (and the S3) are a lot quicker. So be careful if either of those cars challenge you at a stoplight. Lol.

another thing I noticed, the rear exhaust tips are fake. I wasn’t aware of this until I looked. You can’t really tell unless you get on ground level and look, but they are just molded into the rear diffuser. The actual exhaust pipes stop an inch of two short of the tips.

i wish MB Painted the roof black, behind the moonroof. I can live with it being white but would look cleaner if it was black. Also. I have the night package on mine. Wish I got the aerodynamic package though. I like the look of the black AG spoiler, so I’m having the one on mine wrapped gloss black soon.

All in all, I love the car and do recommend it to others. In the 3 weeks I’ve had it, our state (MI) has been on a stay at home order. So I still only have 200 miles on it. Well short of the break-in period of 1,000 miles. I went with white and the upgraded black 19s. She’s stunning and gets a lot of attention from other drivers.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MB W177 A250 4Matic
Originally Posted by ZeroDark30
another quirk I’ve noticed is the eco start/stop causes the car to noticeably jerk when leaving a parking lot (gas station). Feels like the transmission gets confused or something.
Dont use it, Your engine, turbo, acu, starter will live longer . Always off when pressing starting engine.

Also, the Burmester system is loud, but the bass causes the door panels to rattle to the point of distraction.
In mine car it does too, so lowered basses. I belive none car in the Earth will hold without rattles in any place from loud basses.

also, there’s A LOT going on in the MBUX system. The steering wheel buttons take a lot of getting used to. I’ve noticed lagging in the black swipe buttons on the steering wheel, mixed with it being overly sensitive. Also, there are too many display options and too many choices within each display. So be prepared to sit down and get to know all the MBUX features after you get yours. In my opinion, it’s over complicated and a bit overwhelming.
Maybe its just me but MBUX is very simple but I belive it is my cons from my job ( im IT engineer ). Left swipe button for digital dials, right ( + touchpad + touchscreen ) )for right 10.25" screen, nothing complicated

Side note, the manual says there is a Dash Cam feature, but your have to have the navigation package with all the bells and whistles for it to be available. I don’t have it, so that feature isn’t available for me
On manual there is said that manual will cover all cars, all specs, not Your spec.

the car sounds great in Sport+ mode. Love the crackles and pops. It’s pretty fast, but not a true “fast car”.. before I bought mine, I drove my brothers S5 and I gotta admit, that car (and the S3) are a lot quicker. So be careful if either of those cars challenge you at a stoplight. Lol.
Why You compare S5 to A35? It got 4.2 FSI or 3.0TFSI and those engines are more powerful and this car is from higher "car class". S3 cant be "a lot quicker" because it has same power ( ~198HP/t vs 204HP/t ). 0-100 is not so important, take this S3 or S5 into track and I belive You will be better in such track than S5 ( old model 205BHP/t, new model 198BHP/t or TDI 186BHP/t )

another thing I noticed, the rear exhaust tips are fake. I wasn’t aware of this until I looked. You can’t really tell unless you get on ground level and look, but they are just molded into the rear diffuser. The actual exhaust pipes stop an inch of two short of the tips.
Who cares if they are fake or not fake? Since noone from outside will see and know about this and car exhaust sound good so why bother such small thing

Being owner of A250 4M - satisfied only for 60-75% of my car, Im pissed of to mysefl that didnt go for A35... Glad that You take Your car
Old 04-21-2020, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 35 AMG
Originally Posted by Vampire1984PL
Dont use it, Your engine, turbo, acu, starter will live longer . Always off when pressing starting engine.

In mine car it does too, so lowered basses. I belive none car in the Earth will hold without rattles in any place from loud basses.

Maybe its just me but MBUX is very simple but I belive it is my cons from my job ( im IT engineer ). Left swipe button for digital dials, right ( + touchpad + touchscreen ) )for right 10.25" screen, nothing complicated

On manual there is said that manual will cover all cars, all specs, not Your spec.

Why You compare S5 to A35? It got 4.2 FSI or 3.0TFSI and those engines are more powerful and this car is from higher "car class". S3 cant be "a lot quicker" because it has same power ( ~198HP/t vs 204HP/t ). 0-100 is not so important, take this S3 or S5 into track and I belive You will be better in such track than S5 ( old model 205BHP/t, new model 198BHP/t or TDI 186BHP/t )

Who cares if they are fake or not fake? Since noone from outside will see and know about this and car exhaust sound good so why bother such small thing

Being owner of A250 4M - satisfied only for 60-75% of my car, Im pissed of to mysefl that didnt go for A35... Glad that You take Your car

i know I’m knit picking a bit ... just trying not to gush 24/7 and keep others who may be researching this car aware of some things if they’re looking to buy one.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
the mbux does have one too many options to execute one simple action!
Old 04-25-2020, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 AMG EQE

having to connect your iPhone to Apple CarPlay via the Apple lightning connector into the MB supplied adapter, then plug the adapter into the little USB port behind the cup holders is annoying. No CarPlay Via Bluetooth is disappointing IMO.
I found a pretty nice lighting/usb-c cable for this location on amazon, check it out:

Amazon Amazon