CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

New CLA45 AMG - Toronto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
New CLA45 AMG - Toronto

Purchased a CLA45 at a dealer just outside of Toronto (Kitchener, Ontario) before Xmas. It was in stock and I'll have it delivered when I get back into town after the holidays. Dealer gave a total of $3,000 in discounts, of which $1,000 was based on fleet purchase through my company's leasing program.

Here is the configuration:

Calcite White
Black Artico/Dinamica Interior
19" Multi-Spoke Matte Black Wheels
Comand Online Navigation with Apps
Harman Kardon Logic 7 Surround
Premium Package
- Rear view camera
- Panoramic Sunroof
- Folding Mirrors
- Driving Assistance Package
- Passive Blind Spot Assist
- Passive Lane Keeping Assist
AMG Performance Exhaust

This isn't a picture of my car, but as close as I could find of the configuration from an online image. Stats say it is as fast as my SL63, although it didn't feel that way when I test drove it so will be interesting to feel what it's like when I get it home. Should make a nice daily driver while the SL is parked for the winter. Not sure whether I'm going to keep the S Class still but will drive this for a while before I decide. The S is still an amazing ride and feels brand new even at 10 years old and over 100,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-cla45-amg.jpg  
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Congratulations! Nice to see some more activity in this CLA45 forum.

We need some "in the wild" photos of your actual new ride ASAP! Wouldn't hurt to include some of your other beauties in there as well.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I'm currently enjoying awesome Florida weather so will post as soon as I pick the car up when I get back home the second week of January.

In the interim, here is a picture of my summer toy the day I parked it for the winter and a picture of the S in Florida, freshly detailed after the 1,300 mile drive.
Attached Thumbnails New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-sl63.jpg   New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-s-class.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Picked up my CLA this week

Only put a couple hundred kms so far, but initial impressions are good. There are some things to get used to but I think it will be an ok winter daily driver.

Initial observations - seems to be either on or off. Driving normally it feels like a very average (but expensive) 4 cylinder car. It has to be pushed to bring out it's true character - I'm hoping there is a something in between as it breaks in that will provide a more enjoyable/interesting daily drive. Not a fair comparison, but with the SL63 for example, barely touching the gas provides an oomph that is missing from this car. Drive this car hard and it matches acceleration of the SL 63 but only because the 4matic gets the power to the road. From a rolling start I can't imagine this car ever keeping up with a 63 (C, E, SL or other). Its optimum performance band seems to be in low range. It lacks get up and go at highway speeds, although I don't doubt 155 mph limited top speed. I was easily able to get up over 160 kmh and the car felt very wall planted with lots of room left.

In terms of options - I took one off the lot so didn't select. Couple of things I like, others I could live without. I do like the 19" black rims and the Dunlop tires were much better than I expected. I only had them on from the dealer to the house on a mild day, but traction was quite good. The premium package has a lot in it so I think worth the money. Surprisingly I quite like the driver assistance package, specifically blind spot assist. I never would have ordered this, but has been very easy to get used to. Also the upgraded sound system isn't something I would typically order, but it is pretty awesome for any audiophiles out there. Haven't been able to get Apps to work yet, but the concept is interesting and I'm going to continue to try to figure it out. I've tried to connect with both Blackberry and Android without success, I'll try an iPhone to see if that will get it working. On the downside, I find the performance exhaust lacking. There has been lots of kudos on it from forum members here, unfortunately IMO an attempt that just hasn't made the grade for an AMG vehicle. It's only a $450 option but my thought is there may be some of the tuning companies that may come up with better options in future? My wife's GLK 350 exhaust actually sounds better than this, again just my opinion, I know from reading a lot of others really like it.

I have the stock suspension and find it a very good balance. High speed cornering is admirable, this car feels like it's on rails, very impressive feeling. It is very tight, I'd say tighter than the SL63, but at the same time also handles bumps and potholes better than the 63. Very different cars of course, but the suspension does not disappoint. Can't speak to the performance suspension option, but can't imagine wanting the car much firmer than it is. I've driven it with both 18" and 19" wheels, have just put on winter rims and tires (235/40/18 on 8.5 inch oem amg rims) and both handle well.

As I started with the post, overall impression is good, better than I expected and in these early days am definitely not feeling buyer's remorse. Couple of other thoughts for anyone contemplating a purchase - I would track this car over the SL63 any day. Although it can't match the SL63's feel on the road for everyday driving, I believe it would beat it on the track easily and depending on what you like from track days would be a lot more fun. Ask me about the dragstrip or the mile and the SL would be my preferred choice though.

I've attached a couple or pictures, nothing creative, but the first is the night I brought it home from the dealer, with the 19" inch black rims (I like these!). The next is one of the freshly refurbished wheels (I sanded, primed, painted and clear coated this week and brought to have tires put on this morning). You may notice the wheels come out a bit further beyond the wheel wells than stock as they are a half inch wider. Performance or handling doesn't appear to be adversely impacted as a result. Finally, a picture with the winter wheels as it sits today. I can't say these are my favourite rims, but had them lying around so thought I would fix them up and try them before I invested anything further - dealer wanted $5,000 for winter wheel and tire package. I think for winter rims, I can live with them for the 4 months of the year I need them.

James
Attached Thumbnails New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-img_00000239.jpg   New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-img_00000243.jpg   New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-img_00000245.jpg   New CLA45 AMG - Toronto-img_00000247.jpg  

Last edited by mcguirja; 01-18-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
I think I saw you driving it around the other night
Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM

I'm assuming you may not have had your S600 out. I don't think I would have missed it, it's a beauty!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Great write up mcguirja. It sounds like my pre-order and your car have the exact same options package so thank you for speaking to the premium package, 19inch rims and lack of AMG drivers package upgraded suspension.

I concur in many ways with how you felt with the get up and go at highway speeds . I currently drive a mazdaspeed 3 with 263hp/280ft lb torque and I felt more kick in my speed 3 than the 45amg the day I test drove it and hit the highway. I should mention though I only ripped up and down the highway once.

I will be using mine as a daily driver so I did not go all out with sport options and will likely never take it to the track.

Either way, great write up and thank you for sharing. I hope you keep sharing your experiences so I can live vicariously through you while I wait for mine for another 6-8months...Ordered Oct 2013 and dealer is hoping delivery is July/August 2014 which is the push back date from March 15th originally.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:01 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by jsquared27
Great write up mcguirja. It sounds like my pre-order and your car have the exact same options package so thank you for speaking to the premium package, 19inch rims and lack of AMG drivers package upgraded suspension.

I concur in many ways with how you felt with the get up and go at highway speeds . I currently drive a mazdaspeed 3 with 263hp/280ft lb torque and I felt more kick in my speed 3 than the 45amg the day I test drove it and hit the highway. I should mention though I only ripped up and down the highway once.

I will be using mine as a daily driver so I did not go all out with sport options and will likely never take it to the track.

Either way, great write up and thank you for sharing. I hope you keep sharing your experiences so I can live vicariously through you while I wait for mine for another 6-8months...Ordered Oct 2013 and dealer is hoping delivery is July/August 2014 which is the push back date from March 15th originally.
How can you compare a speed 3 to a 45 AMG??! Speed 3 is comparable to a Focus ST in horsepower and FWD

Last edited by jonnyrt; 01-30-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Should have been more specific....when I was in sport mode(AMG) at 110km/h and jumped on the gas I felt a little turbo leg....could be how I hit the gas. I know with the AMG I have to put a little more pressure on the throttle for response. My speed3 is far more sensitive which is maybe what seemed deceiving.

I was not trying to compare the car as a whole, I'm not an idiot. I know the difference between a mazda and a Mercedes...AMG none the less.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by jsquared27
Should have been more specific....when I was in sport mode(AMG) at 110km/h and jumped on the gas I felt a little turbo leg....could be how I hit the gas. I know with the AMG I have to put a little more pressure on the throttle for response. My speed3 is far more sensitive which is maybe what seemed deceiving.

I was not trying to compare the car as a whole, I'm not an idiot. I know the difference between a mazda and a Mercedes...AMG none the less.
I know exactly what you mean jsquared. I regularly drive an S Class and GLK350 in the winter along with the CLA45 and an SL63 in the summer. The CLA has the least responsive throttle of the 4 as well as the least amount of pull at highway speeds. I'm not sure if it is turbo lag, or a combination of throttle response and transmission gearing - it just seems to be missing something the other cars have. Even more noticeable is the slow reaction from a standing start at stop lights. I always drive in sport mode or manual, but either way, when I hit the gas there is a clear hesitation before it kicks in and starts to move. That was my first reaction as I articulated in the initial recap above when I described it as either off or on (you really have to press the gas hard as jsquared described to get it to move). With that said, when you do really push it, it goes, so lots of upside. I'm hoping as it breaks in it becomes a bit more responsive. If it doesn't I might spring for a tune, there seem to be a couple available already that are providing a good lift in both HP and Torque and are relatively inexpensive. If the tune doesn't help throttle response, I'd give it a failing grade as a daily driver. Right now I much prefer the S Class overall for both performance and comfort on my daily commute and it won't compare to the SL63 in the summer. I recognize I may not be a good reference point as I'm base lining to much more expensive cars. The SL63 and CLA have similar 0-60 times, but how they get there isn't close to comparable. Even the GLK350, which isn't comparable as a 6.5 second 0-60 time has better throttle response and grunt than the CLA, both a low speeds and on the highway.

On a different note, I think this car will shine on the track. When I have had a chance to drive it a little bit hard, the traction and stability is superb. I would never take the SL63 to a track day event for a bunch of different reasons but I think the CLA will be perfect. I'm in the process of registering for a NASA weekend track event at the end of March in Sebring Florida and will be taking the CLA down there for it. I'll start another thread on this as I prepare for it and get closer to the day. For anyone not familiar, Sebring has a decent track with a long history. I purchased a winter home there a while ago and this will be the first time I'll have the opportunity to take advantage of the track as part of one of my trips down there. If anyone has any knowledge or experience would love to hear about what to expect, it will be the first event I've been to.

James
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM

James, I owned a GLK 350 before my CLA45 and I could not disagree with you more. The GLK had a V6 grunt but on the highway, if you punched it, was nothing like the CLA45!!!

I am confused what everyone is talking about "turbo lag"...I experience none! Maybe it's because I live in high altitude and the turbos automatically adjust for increased boost to compensate…

I should add I have owned turbo cars before, my GTI which was not a twin scroll turbo but a single turbo definitely had some turbo lag and in comparison to the CLA45 engine set up, felt entirely different

Last edited by jonnyrt; 01-31-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
I am actually debating and seeing if I should put an order for a CLA45. I have just placed an order for a 2015 S550 4Matic as a family car and wanted to change my 2013 Audi A4 for something sportier.

I was wondering what the AMG Sports Exhaust do? Does it look physically different or is it just the sound?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by XxLHCxX
I am actually debating and seeing if I should put an order for a CLA45. I have just placed an order for a 2015 S550 4Matic as a family car and wanted to change my 2013 Audi A4 for something sportier.

I was wondering what the AMG Sports Exhaust do? Does it look physically different or is it just the sound?

Thanks in advance!
Good choice! THen again I am biased LOL!

The AMG sport exhaust gives you the dual flapper valves in the exhaust so that when either you go above 3000 RPM or put the car in 'sport mode,' the flapper valves open up and the engine breathes better and sounds amazing! It is the exact same flapper valve system taken out of the SLK55 AMG! Get it, highly recommended!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by jonnyrt
Good choice! THen again I am biased LOL!

The AMG sport exhaust gives you the dual flapper valves in the exhaust so that when either you go above 3000 RPM or put the car in 'sport mode,' the flapper valves open up and the engine breathes better and sounds amazing! It is the exact same flapper valve system taken out of the SLK55 AMG! Get it, highly recommended!
Haha! Sounds like a bargain and will surely get it! I was also thinking of the 2014 Audi TT Competition Package shown below. It is around the same price as a CLA45. However, there will be an all new model for the TT come 2015 but I really like the look of the TT with the Competition Package (it looks like a TT RS).

However, for the CLA45, I was just thinking of getting the Premium Package and the AMG Sports Exhaust (I didn't want to spend too much on the options as the S550 I ordered is loaded ). As to the delivery dates, does anyone know how long the expected delivery is for a custom ordered car if it is not available off the lot?

Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 PM

looks nice as well! Totally your decision. I prefer Mercedes AMG products but Audi's are nice cars too.

As for delivery dates, I have been reading on forums all over the net about wait times now on the CLA45 up to 12 months!! Craziness! I was lucky to get my CLA45 in November 2013 as my dealer got me on an advanced order list.. If you need your car this summer, might want to go with the Audi……now if only spring would arrive so i can drive my car!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:58 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
looks nice as well! Totally your decision. I prefer Mercedes AMG products but Audi's are nice cars too.

As for delivery dates, I have been reading on forums all over the net about wait times now on the CLA45 up to 12 months!! Craziness! I was lucky to get my CLA45 in November 2013 as my dealer got me on an advanced order list.. If you need your car this summer, might want to go with the Audi……now if only spring would arrive so i can drive my car!
I think I am leaning towards the CLA45 though. 12 MONTHS!!! Wow... I thought it was only the new S class that the wait was for 8 months... That's crazy! I do not need it until the end of August though. So if I make my decision soon it might be alright hopefully haha.

Regardless I did e-mail my sales to ask him about the delivery dates for the CLA45 and am awaiting for his response

I am planning to use the CLA45 for the winter as well so I need to get winter tyres (the standard 18" comes with summer tyres right?)

Last edited by XxLHCxX; 02-01-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:16 PM

I plan on using mine in the winter as well (but next winter, could not bear driving it off the dealer lot this winter and right into the winter mess!!)

Correct, I got the black matte 19's and they came with Z rated summer performance tires, 18's are the same. I too will be getting winter tires next fall.

The CLA45 is a practical car, at least for me here in Canada with AWD
Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 PM

James, I owned a GLK 350 before my CLA45 and I could not disagree with you more. The GLK had a V6 grunt but on the highway, if you punched it, was nothing like the CLA45!!!

I am confused what everyone is talking about "turbo lag"...I experience none! Maybe it's because I live in high altitude and the turbos automatically adjust for increased boost to compensate…

I should add I have owned turbo cars before, my GTI which was not a twin scroll turbo but a single turbo definitely had some turbo lag and in comparison to the CLA45 engine set up, felt entirely different
Hey jonnyrt, I think I'm probably not describing it well but will try again in a different way

I think it is the responsiveness and amount of effort that goes into pressing on the accelerator that I find odd and maybe even a bit disconcerting. With my other cars, you barely have to touch the gas and they respond. With the CLA I find I really have to hit the gas for it to move. For the first 1/4 of the peddle it takes it a while to get moving. At WOT I agree with what you've said, it is pretty astounding how quick it is. Because of the pedal effort required it makes driving it (to me) seem to take some effort. On the other vehicles, especially the SL63, barely touching the gas gets you moving immediately. Not sure if that describes it better, but it was the same feeling in both the test car I drove and the one I ended up purchasing. I think the pull at highway speeds is getting a bit better as it breaks in, but still have to really hit the gas to get it to go, which again I don't have to accelerate to that extreme to get them to move. Not sure if that describes it better or makes more sense. I think if I didn't drive different vehicles I'd probably get used to it pretty quickly.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM

2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mcguirja
Hey jonnyrt, I think I'm probably not describing it well but will try again in a different way

I think it is the responsiveness and amount of effort that goes into pressing on the accelerator that I find odd and maybe even a bit disconcerting. With my other cars, you barely have to touch the gas and they respond. With the CLA I find I really have to hit the gas for it to move. For the first 1/4 of the peddle it takes it a while to get moving. At WOT I agree with what you've said, it is pretty astounding how quick it is. Because of the pedal effort required it makes driving it (to me) seem to take some effort. On the other vehicles, especially the SL63, barely touching the gas gets you moving immediately. Not sure if that describes it better, but it was the same feeling in both the test car I drove and the one I ended up purchasing. I think the pull at highway speeds is getting a bit better as it breaks in, but still have to really hit the gas to get it to go, which again I don't have to accelerate to that extreme to get them to move. Not sure if that describes it better or makes more sense. I think if I didn't drive different vehicles I'd probably get used to it pretty quickly.
Hey, I think it's mainly due to the fact that it is merely a four cylinder with turbochargers. With the SL63, it is a V8 turbo. Although I have never driven the CLA45 as of yet, I did drive the SL63 and stepping a little will make the car jump forward.

I suppose that a four cylinder engine with turbochargers needs to be "spooled up" before the car actually goes (at least 3000 RPM maybe)? I guess it is much like the engines of the Mitsubishi Evo and the Subaru STi, both of which are small displacement 4 cylinders with turbochargers to make them 300hp+.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Haha! Sounds like a bargain and will surely get it! I was also thinking of the 2014 Audi TT Competition Package shown below. It is around the same price as a CLA45. However, there will be an all new model for the TT come 2015 but I really like the look of the TT with the Competition Package (it looks like a TT RS).

However, for the CLA45, I was just thinking of getting the Premium Package and the AMG Sports Exhaust (I didn't want to spend too much on the options as the S550 I ordered is loaded ). As to the delivery dates, does anyone know how long the expected delivery is for a custom ordered car if it is not available off the lot?

Congrats on the SClass, absolutely beautiful vehicles, great performance numbers and fuel efficiency. I've had my S Class for 10 year and over 100,000 mile and it still looks and drives like brand new!

Been reading the same as johnnyrt in terms of wait times. I lucked out and happened to get one off a dealer's lot, but am a multi repeat customer and also had the benefit of it being a purchase as a company car through a leasing company with good connections.

Ended up paying $56k and it came with both the options you suggested you would like. It has the audio upgrade as well as navi and apps.

Performance exhaust I'm a bit indifferent to, although had a colleague in the car the other day and he raved over how good it sounded.

With respect to winter driving, I am driving it daily in the worst winter we've had in Toronto in about 20 years. I have the 19" wheels with the performance tires, so first thing I did was put on 18" wheels with all seasons. My mechanic thought I was crazy when I didn't opt for true winter tires, but I don't really like winter tires, and typically the amount of snow or ice we have isn't enough to require the additional traction. I'm finding the traction and stability for winter driving quite good with the all seasons. The only minor thing for me has been clearance compared to the SClass. The car is quite low, with no option to raise it, so I've bottomed out on the snow a couple of times. Haven't gotten stuck though.

Good luck with your decision, sounds like some nice choices at least and at a minimum the SClass will be incredible so enjoy.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Hey, I think it's mainly due to the fact that it is merely a four cylinder with turbochargers. With the SL63, it is a V8 turbo. Although I have never driven the CLA45 as of yet, I did drive the SL63 and stepping a little will make the car jump forward.

I suppose that a four cylinder engine with turbochargers needs to be "spooled up" before the car actually goes (at least 3000 RPM maybe)? I guess it is much like the engines of the Mitsubishi Evo and the Subaru STi, both of which are small displacement 4 cylinders with turbochargers to make them 300hp+.
I think that could be. Yes, the SL63 is a different beast, although with the model year I have (2009) it is actually same 0-60 time as the CLA. Getting there is a totally different experience in both cars though!! I'm starting to understand what the SL55 guys say on the R230 forum though in the difference between the acceleration between the 55 and 63 cars. I was always confused as they described the difference the extra torque on the 55's made because the 0-60 times were similar, but now driving the CLA I understand a bit more what they mean, it's a very different way of getting to the same result .
Old 02-01-2014, 03:01 PM

The clearance for winter time is my only concern with the CLA 45 as well. We also have had the worst winter here in Calgary in 100 years and I am currently driving a Cavalier winter beater with Yokohama winter tires and the clearance on the car has been a challenge at times….the CLA 45 is even lower which scares me! Also why I will never lower the car, if you are in a warmer southern US climate it would look nice, but for me not practical.

Glad to hear people are already driving it in the snow!

I do have to say every time I come home to my garage and see my CLA 45 shining in the garage while my beater car is covered in salt and muck, it makes me smile

Last edited by jonnyrt; 02-01-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM

2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by mcguirja
Purchased a CLA45 at a dealer just outside of Toronto (Kitchener, Ontario) before Xmas. It was in stock and I'll have it delivered when I get back into town after the holidays. Dealer gave a total of $3,000 in discounts, of which $1,000 was based on fleet purchase through my company's leasing program.
Hey, I am looking to purchase a CLA 45 as well. Your price is amazing! Is it possible to DM me the dealership and the sales guy you were dealing with? I will most likely order it very soon!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:05 AM

Hey, I am looking to purchase a CLA 45 as well. Your price is amazing! Is it possible to DM me the dealership and the sales guy you were dealing with? I will most likely order it very soon!
Sent PM
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG Edition1
Still enjoying your ride mcguira? How has it been this winter?

Completely changed my order as the dealer had an allocation for March. (Toronto ON)

CLA45 AMG - Edition 1
Build date : March 8, 2014
Estimated Delivery Date: May 23, 2014.

Obviously not my car but Ill post my own pics come May. Purchased this exact set up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New CLA45 AMG - Toronto