CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-GAGL Heavy
Possible new owner

So i've been looking at these CLA45s, and would like to get insight from the community here. With that said, it's a toss-up between this and the W212 E63 with the last get 6.2 V8. They will both cost around $60,000 before taxes, though the CLA obviously has the advantage of warranty. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Depends on what you're looking for

I have an SL63 with the 6.2 NA and a CLA 45 so I can speak to the difference in engines and performance between the 2.

CLA is 4 wheel drive, decent on gas and has similar 0-100 kmh time, however gets there in a very different way. If you live in a climate where cold weather is a factor, or the cost of gas is extreme you may prefer the CLA. The CLA drives like a small car, rear seats are small, although I've had 3 people in the back seat at the same time and two of them were 5'10" + and in excess of 200 lbs and for a short ride didn't seem that uncomfortable. There are some things I don't like about it, throttle response is slower than I like, the transmission is ok but not great and the suspension is tight, even without the performance suspension option. Overall the CLA is a decent car for the price though - was the best new car I could find in this price range.

The 6.2 NA engine is significantly better. It takes the same time to get to 100 km/h, but only because of the challenge getting power to the road. Race start manages traction but acts as a limiter to do it. From a rolling start there is no comparison, the 63 would take the CLA easily, the higher the speed the more pronounced the difference would be. Going from 100 - 160 km/h in the 63 is effortless. The CLA gets you there, but you can feel it working. The 6.2 also sounds amazing. Even with the performance exhaust on the CLA it just doesn't compare. It does consume a lot more fuel and the amount of power would make winter driving interesting/challenging, although I would use an E63 in the winter with the right snow tires.

I purchased the CLA because it was part of a company benefits program, with one of the conditions having to be a new car. Had I been using my own $60,000 I would have gone with a used E63 without hesitation, but gas consumption isn't top of mind for me, and although I live in a winter climate there are generally only a few days a year where traction would be an issue.

Good luck with your decision, either way you'll end up with a great vehicle.

James