CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

FAILED TURBOS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
^^^ You stole my words. I was about to edit my previous post. You are exactly 100 +10% right. The tune aggravates the issue.

The problem (one of the problems) is the high boost range of operation, you add a downpipe and a tune and you are making the turbo get even more boost. I wouldn't lie, I would have done the tune but I realize that this engine is maxed" from factory with some small margin/room of making some extra power.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA 45 AMG
Ok talked with MB yesterday they found the turbo was locked up.the one thing thats the problem is that the coolant lines and oil lines to the turbos are to small not allowing the fluid to flow free there replacing all the lines and o2 sensor and the turbo and maybe the cat.Im hoping to get the car back by the weekend.they are waiting to get some parts from Germany.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by bigantne1968
Ok talked with MB yesterday they found the turbo was locked up.the one thing thats the problem is that the coolant lines and oil lines to the turbos are to small not allowing the fluid to flow free there replacing all the lines and o2 sensor and the turbo and maybe the cat.Im hoping to get the car back by the weekend.they are waiting to get some parts from Germany.
damn, sorry to hear that.

when was your car built?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by C63newdude
^^^ You stole my words. I was about to edit my previous post. You are exactly 100 +10% right. The tune aggravates the issue.

The problem (one of the problems) is the high boost range of operation, you add a downpipe and a tune and you are making the turbo get even more boost. I wouldn't lie, I would have done the tune but I realize that this engine is maxed" from factory with some small margin/room of making some extra power.
I still disagree with this. If this were true, Carlsson wouldn't bother tuning the car further then backing it with their own 3 year warranty if anything goes wrong. You just don't take unnecessary gambles like that.

I think it's a bad batch of turbos and nothing more.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 PM

CLA 45
mine is under the present campaign. I don't think it's because of the boost, but more along the lines of trying to get all these vehicles out to meet the demand and suffering quality control. As someone said above, they weren't under the campaign but still had problems. Honestly, it's still enough to have me looking into trade in options. Found a 507 and a few c63 2 door coupes that would take the cla45's place.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 PM

2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by mb techman
the tolerance is .08mm of play in the turbine shaft.

i just completed a turbo under recall that had .74mm that is a lot trust me.

expect parts to be ordered, so be prepared to leave the car.
Good to know thanks! Took my car in for some servicing last month and told me it was under recall (November 2013 build).

Service report after said "0.03 mm, within spec." I had no idea what was acceptable until now. Hopefully it doesn't quit! No issues with the engine, just minor interior squeaks!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:21 AM

Cla 45
Turbo replaced

Wow , I'm glad I found this forum. My cla 45 was the car that initiated the turbo campaign. My turbo blew 6 months ago with 13k miles on the car. As it was the first , MB sent out a master tech and figured out the oil line issue and initiated the campaign. Took MB 2 weeks to figure it out.
Bad news, tranny may have given out today. Car is not drive able and back at the dealer. I think I'm done with the cla 45 it's just not reliable Like my previous MB's
Old 09-06-2014, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
It was only a matter of time before this would happen

Let us know what happens
Old 09-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by Bret928
Wow , I'm glad I found this forum. My cla 45 was the car that initiated the turbo campaign. My turbo blew 6 months ago with 13k miles on the car. As it was the first , MB sent out a master tech and figured out the oil line issue and initiated the campaign. Took MB 2 weeks to figure it out.
Bad news, tranny may have given out today. Car is not drive able and back at the dealer. I think I'm done with the cla 45 it's just not reliable Like my previous MB's
Damn first one to blow a turbo and first one to blow a tranny....that blows
Old 09-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
Originally Posted by jamesyot
Damn first one to blow a turbo and first one to blow a tranny....that blows
lol I see what you did there
Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
03 Lexus IS300 (old faithful) / 91 3000GT VR-4 / 14 CLA45 AMG / 11 BMW X6M
Originally Posted by ricecooker713
lol I see what you did there
hahah I didn't even mean to do that. I need to bring my car in to have the turbo checked. It seems most of the fails are happening around 10k miles. My car has about 2600 miles on it. Seems to be fine. Wonder what will happen down the road. Hopefully MB has a fix for the problem. Shouldnt be that difficult.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Cla 45
Failed Turbo

I'm sure they will find a fix. Problem is what's
next??
Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
I'm sure they will find a fix. Problem is what's
next??
I know how you feel about that, and the whats next happened to me today (http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14-...-cla-45-a.html That's a thread with all the issues my CLA had). Well today the car yet again lost all acceleration for me, and the pre safe functions limited came on yet again. Also the engine got so damn hot that the cooling system went crazy when I shut the car off (It was 0 degrees Celsius with snow, and I was driving in comfort mode. I have no damn idea how my car got so damn hot)
Old 09-08-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E63S AMG, 2003 SLK 230 Sport, 2004 SL 600, 2006 SLK 55 AMG, 1998 E320 Wagon
Hmm, rough luck there. :/ So far, so good for me. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM

CLA 45
Tranny too? damn... how hard do you drive it? Is this the first tranny problem anyone heard of?

Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-AMG C63S Edition 1
Originally Posted by Flipstylephoto
Tranny too? damn... how hard do you drive it? Is this the first tranny problem anyone heard of?
Think that there was a guy with a Tranny problem on the Mercedescla forum. Can't remember if he had a 250, or 45 though
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM

CLA45
Failed turbo @ 16,000 km

Unhappy to report I'm another one with a failed turbo. Ranted about it here, with video:
http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/14-...bo-fail-5.html

Noises, smell, white smoke, loss of power. This happened last month. Ultimately, my turbo was replaced. My car is stock, 16000km, in service date of Apr/2014, and serviced as MB recommended. My car was not part of the Canadian turbo campaign, and I had just brought it in for the first A service 7-days before the car failed.

Not impressed at all with AMG or MB. MB Corporate was proud to let me know that the $6,500 replacement job was covered under warranty... seriously.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
I probably would be put out like you have if I had a similar automotive part failure. Initially at least. Fortunately, you've been repaired with no residual damage most likely. AMG is terrific but not infallible, like all other brands, marquee or not. MB is pretty good as well.
Each dealer service center, however, varies in competence. Some are great and some are downright flaky. Having read your other post, I think you would have felt much better about it if you were handled by a "good" service center. I also think that it was very thoughtful of MB to offer further discussion if the problem recurs.
I hope you have no further issues and enjoy your CLA!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 & CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by bigantne1968
Is there a TSB for these issues?

Also is there an effected build date range to go from?

Thx!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 & CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Hey lets take 26lbs of boost and turn it up with a tune. It'll be fine....

Saw this coming. Hope you fellas have a reasonable time and have all your issues fixed up.
I see your point but with 9:1 compression ratio and piezo electric injectors and real forged internals the engines should be fine. There are always issues to be ironed out in the first MY of a new cars run. Those that want to play it extra safe can install an exhaust and watch the boost drop back to normal or below OEM depending on how their tuner makes power.

If anything the M177 and M178 guys should be thanking us for R&Ding half of their new motors.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45
lets also not forget that neither MB or AMG make the turbos. Turbos are built by Borg Warner. nobody really manufacturers in house anymore, they contract the parts from other manufacturers then assemble it all together in their factories.

I also wouldnt use the CLA45 or GLA45 as the car to gauge AMG
Old 02-01-2015, 06:59 PM

2011 WRX
lets also not forget that neither MB or AMG make the turbos. Turbos are built by Borg Warner. nobody really manufacturers in house anymore, they contract the parts from other manufacturers then assemble it all together in their factories.

Agreee wholeheartedly regarding the turbos.

But what's that last line of nonsense? Are you one of those implying the 45's aren't 'real' AMG's? If it wasn't a true AMG, they wouldn't have put their own badge on it, period.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S

that last sentence really makes you sound ignorant .
45 engine is hand built just like the 6s and 8s .
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM

CLA45
it makes me sound ignorant why?

because you dont like my opinion and because you're owners of 45's??

im well aware of the 45 being hand built.

are you aware that ive driven almost every AMG? and have been able to compare them to each other? are you also aware that just about all of my mercedes coworkers, fromt techs, to sales, to managers all say the same?

i also feel that the GLA drives alot better than the CLA...is that going to annoy the CLA owners? probably. but oh well, what can you do?

if youre unhappy with the issues youre having with your CLA/GLA and this has put a sour taste in your mouth on AMG overall then im sorry you never got to truly experience what AMG is all about. im sorry but the CLA/GLA is not what AMG is ALLLLLL about. I was a big fan of BMW M's and Audi S's even as an MB employee and it wasnt until i was sent to Affalterbach in 2013 where AMG really changed my mind. The design, thought process and engineering that are going in to all their new models is beyond impressive. The problem is you think im all knocking the brand and the CLA/GLA, which im definitely not. When i first drove the CLA i was absolutely impressed. It rode on rails, the handling was great, you never even felt the car lose traction, the rear diff locks that quickly. it is a fun little car, but its lacking the true AMG spirit that only those 8cyl's bring. Even the build quality and components used are very differnt.

yes its impressive to put out 356 hp from a four cylinder using 26psi of boost, but its no E63s. If you really want AMG to impress you then drive a GT-S and let me know how you feel afterwards.

Using the CLA/GLA to gauge your impression on AMG is the actual ignorant part. Its like trying out the porsche cayman or boxster and saying porsche is weak.

Sorry you got your panties in a bunch based on my opinion, but i guess thats what makes this country and the technology of social media and forums so great, we all have a platform to speak our minds. have a good night.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM

CLA45
BTW, i just finished dropping a fuel tank on a 2015 GLA 45 with 1000 miles to replace a fuel pressure sensor. Do i think MB or AMG are **** because of this? no, these parts are mass produced, which neither MB or AMG made, it happens.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FAILED TURBOS