CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Michelin Pilot Super Sports Review for CLA45!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cla 45 amg
Thumbs up Michelin Pilot Super Sports Review for CLA45!!

Can't believe my tires ran out of tread after almost only 7,000 miles of "spirited" driving.. Haha JK they were probably the hardest first 7k miles i've ever "broken" in a car. I really enjoyed the 18inch Standard Rims paired with the Continental 5P tires but after experiencing the ride and grip levels of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, i'm in complete shock. They were quite greasy up until about 300 miles that included four canyon runs, but after a hard brake pad smoking night at a much longer canyon, the tires were finally broken in. The amount of grip these tires have is nothing short of inspiring. The car now actually feels as if it's much more connected to the road, and it translates that feel into the steering wheel with precise feedback. I'm all about simple mods and immaculate maintenance.

Buying horsepower performance parts on a car that just came out is simply out of the question. Brake pads and aftermarket rotors haven't even been released yet by basically every possible after-market brake company. What good is all that power if you can't rely on the stock brakes that I managed to smoke? I know not everyone will be canyoning, but I can simply tell you that the tires are most likely the number one thing that will dramatically transform the car while maintaining its reliability and warranty.

I was listening to music so I can't tell you how much they were squeeling but they allowed me to trace lines that I simply could not before. The car shows much less understeer and is most likely due to the 235.40.18 (stock size) small diameter difference. The Michelin is .5 inches wider and is still a 235 tire compared to the Continentals, which are the same size but .5 inches less wide. Enjoy your car and make the purchase if you guys have the money! I got a set of the Super Sports for 710 installed and out the door. Lmk if you guys are in the socal area, i'll refer you to the spot. Thanks for reading!
Old 10-12-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
I have two sets of tires for my CLA45, on 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear Rays G25 forged wheels:

1. 225/40/18 front and 245/35/18 Pilot Super Sport

2. 234/40/18 Pilot Sport Cup all around.

We are entering the dry season of the year here in Hong Kong and all I can say is that if you think the PSS are good, try the PSC.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
CL63 AMG
Awesome review. Yes running PSS on my other "toys, and they are a fantastic tire. Not only do the run about half inch wider than most other tires, but they usually weigh 2 lbs less per tire as well because of the full Kevlar construction. It is also why they are much softer as well.

The first 300 miles are greasy bc the tire has a slippery initial layer before they break in, but once they do the grip is significantly improved.

Also, on the CLA, I highly recommend NOT running a staggered setup bc understeer is a big issue. By running a "square" setup (same size all around) it should dial out most of the understeer.

Tires and brakes are by far the fastest way to improve your lap times at the track so you don't really need to run more HP to have fun, you just have to improve upon a few of the minor shortcomings the car has stock. I recommend upgrading your brake fluid to Castrol SRF. It is definitely the #1 brake fluid on the market and will improve brake feel and reduce fade completely

Sounds like you are on the right track!
Old 10-13-2014, 04:58 AM

cla 45 amg
Yeah running a staggered setup on an AWD car is put simply, a no-no. Even if it's just for looks I wouldn't do that. I contacted K-MAC and they said they have some suspension parts for the car! Also, a camber and caster adjuster coming before 2015! Looking to do mods like that very soon. Wish they had upgraded pads because I definitely put them through their paces once so I want to be able eto rely on some aftermarket ones soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:43 AM

CL63 AMG
RacingBrake can make custom pads for you, so can Carbotech. Just ask them and they will. It's a little more expensive but not that much more. You can probably get a realignment done and ask for specific parameters to get a more aggressive alignment (more camber, and more toe out to reduce understeer.)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by CLA45AMG2.0
Yeah running a staggered setup on an AWD car is put simply, a no-no. Even if it's just for looks I wouldn't do that. I contacted K-MAC and they said they have some suspension parts for the car! Also, a camber and caster adjuster coming before 2015! Looking to do mods like that very soon. Wish they had upgraded pads because I definitely put them through their paces once so I want to be able eto rely on some aftermarket ones soon.
The CLA45 will put up to 90% power to the rear in extreme conditions. It is hard to tell what those conditions are since MB isn't telling much.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:47 PM

CL63 AMG
Incorrect, CLA45 can only send 50% of the power rearward. It is the opposite of other 4 matic systems because it has a front wheel bias (hence the understeer). Normally it sends 100% of the power to the front wheels hence why it has such a good gas mileage rating
Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
Incorrect, CLA45 can only send 50% of the power rearward. It is the opposite of other 4 matic systems because it has a front wheel bias (hence the understeer). Normally it sends 100% of the power to the front wheels hence why it has such a good gas mileage rating
The key words are "in extreme conditions". In normal conditions it is front drive biased yes.

But up to 90% power can go to rear for examples if both front tires lose traction, or only one rear wheel still has traction.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:29 AM

cla 45 amg
Originally Posted by dtc100
The key words are "in extreme conditions". In normal conditions it is front drive biased yes.

But up to 90% power can go to rear for examples if both front tires lose traction, or only one rear wheel still has traction.
you don't make any sense lol

It's 50% max and that's it. Not power, the key-word is torque lol
Old 10-14-2014, 09:32 AM

CLA45 AMG
you don't make any sense lol

It's 50% max and that's it. Not power, the key-word is torque lol
When in doubt, research before you BSing anyone:

http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-9...0-0-0-0-0.html

Here are some examples of torque distribution (front:rear in percent, approximate values):
Full-load acceleration at approx. 50 km/h → 60:40
Dynamic cornering under load → 50:50
Exceeding the µ-jump limit → 10:90
Heavy braking with ABS intervention → 100:00
I used the term "power" loosely, describing force being applied, since all else are equal.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 AM

cla 45 amg
i dont even know what that upside down h-jump limit means. so basically you're saying staggered is fine since in the most extreme conditions, it will put 90% to the back. yeah, good try bro. if you're pushing the car that hard it most likely means you've spun off the track or flew off the mountain. lol im sure staggered wheels will be very beneficial in that scenario
Old 10-14-2014, 10:00 AM

CLA45 AMG
i dont even know what that upside down h-jump limit means.
Apparently there was one more thing you didn't know.

I didn't know either, did some Googling. That thing measures limit of difference in traction between right and left tires.

Not saying you should use bigger patches at the rear (it is still FWD most time), but my guess is, this new 4matic system can save your arss should you be crazy enough to do so.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-14-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM

CL63 AMG
No, incorrect again, it can only send 50% of the power rearward. It is a. Front biased system. Only the rear biased 4WD systems can send over 90% to the rear. In many cases the traditional 4WD will send 100% to rear wheels unless it needs power to be sent to the front wheels.

The situation you describe is less than 1% and only bc you are about to kill yourself by running into a tree or so,etching. Does not count. Under normal power situation max it can do is send 50% rear.

End of story
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by ML63 AMG
No, incorrect again, it can only send 50% of the power rearward. It is a. Front biased system. Only the rear biased 4WD systems can send over 90% to the rear. In many cases the traditional 4WD will send 100% to rear wheels unless it needs power to be sent to the front wheels.

The situation you describe is less than 1% and only bc you are about to kill yourself by running into a tree or so,etching. Does not count. Under normal power situation max it can do is send 50% rear.

End of story
Up to 90% to the rear. Yes not under normal conditions.

But when Chris Harris was power sliding on the track in that CLA45, he was driving under very unusual conditions most of that time

What part did you not agree if I say "in extreme conditions, the new 4matic can send up to 90% torque to the rear"?

Don't shoot the messenger.

BTW, uneven traction between left and right tires can happen easily when you drive fast at a turn or on changing surface.

The point to be made here is not what the CLA45 is currently tuned to handle various conditions, but what the 4matic system is capable of.

They don't have to send more than 50% power to the rear, but the system can handle up to 90% to the rear if they tune it aggressively to do so.

My guess is that CLA45 racing series can be tuned to take the advantage of such capability, when fuel economy is not an issue.

The perception is a PTO system is limited by how much power it can handle. Based on the MB literature, in the new 4matic system for the CLA45, the PTO can handle a max of 700+ ft lb.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-14-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
dtc is correct I think. MB generally states that a max of 50:50 distribution of power is possible, but their more detailed explanation of the 4Matic system in the CLA/GLA indicates exactly what dtc said. In addition to that, "The new AMG 4MATIC applies more rear-biased torque distribution as a general principle, in order to increase lateral dynamics around the vehicle's vertical axis."
Also, "In SPORT or MANUAL mode the activation times are shortened and more torque is distributed to the rear axle in the interests of a dynamic, sporty driving style."

This is good to know.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 AM

CLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Strafe1
dtc is correct I think. MB generally states that a max of 50:50 distribution of power is possible, but their more detailed explanation of the 4Matic system in the CLA/GLA indicates exactly what dtc said. In addition to that, "The new AMG 4MATIC applies more rear-biased torque distribution as a general principle, in order to increase lateral dynamics around the vehicle's vertical axis."
Also, "In SPORT or MANUAL mode the activation times are shortened and more torque is distributed to the rear axle in the interests of a dynamic, sporty driving style."

This is good to know.
The above statements are not clear as when more than 50% of torque is delivered to the rear. It may simply be saying more torque is sent to the rear (up to 50%) in the AMG models, and still up to 90% to the rear only when traction is lost on one side of the tires.

No doubt though the AMG models have more dynamic power transfer to the rear. I think many reviewers commented the AMGs do not corner like a regular FWD car is a proof of the new 4matic at work.