CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Camber Kit needed or Alignment tips for HR spring sinstall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45
Camber Kit needed or Alignment tips for HR spring sinstall

Just installed the HR springs for the 45 I do have the AMG suspension option, HR Model: 28858-3.

The mechanic that did the install told me he did as much as possible to align but car would need a camber kit. There is some toe in, and car pulls right.

Is this correct? I was under impression that it wasn't necessary with these springs, its roughly a 25 mm drop.

Anybody with experience please chime in with any tips as to correct this issue. Are there any camber kits for the 45 if needed?

BTW, car looks great with the drop...
Old 02-13-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C32 AMG
damn those are the ones i have not installed yet... feel like he cant be right...

28858-3 25MM drop from H&R europe

tirerack.com lists a diff part for cla45 i think tho
Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM

2014 CLA 45
28858-3, are the ones I have, ordered from Germany, specifically for CLA45, its not the one for 250 that we can find statewide, about 1.2 inch drop.

I ordered these to avoid any issues like this. Wondering if my mechanic just doesn't have the know how. Vividracing installed the 250 on one and they mentioned all it needs is an alignment.

So i'm like also the steering wheel is way off center, anybody else care to chime in?
Old 02-14-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mercedes C200 CGI, CLS350, CLA45 AMG, AMG GTS(ordered)
Most current MBs don't allow camber adjustment from the factory but toe-in is adjustable. Front camber can be adjusted with factory camber bolts(max.+- 0.4) or with aftermarket camber bolts(I use Powerflex PFA100-14 for max +-1.5). Rear camber is the problem as the OEM tie rods are flat to fit in a tight space and aftermarket adjustable tie rods won't fit.

With the H&R springs your front camber would be around -1.5 which should be fine.

I have Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and my camber is (set) at -2.0 front and comes in at -2.5 back. Of course your settings may be slightly different due to lowering amount, wheel offsets, and tires.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM

2014 CLA 45
Thanks ddtung, I appreciate your input, how do you like your PSS10's? Did you have AMG suspension pkg? I do. I d appreciate your feedback/review on your current setup.

My current measurements:

Front - L-2.4/R-1.4
Rear - L-2.6/R-2.9

and steering wheel is way off center and car pulls right substantially....can this be further improved?
Old 02-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Yes I have the AMG sport suspension and the PSS10's are adjustable and work better than H&R + OEM shocks IMO.

Get the Powerflex camber bolt kit for the front and set camber to around -2.0. Then adjust toe to slightly in and you should be fine. Rear camber looks good. Just expect your tires to wear faster on the inside.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:44 PM

cla 45 amg
Max out the camber and basically zero out the toe if you want good track handling characteristics and tire wear. Car OEM has almost zero toe stock. If you're driving under normal circumstances try to keep the alignment specs stock if you weren't having irregular tire wear.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:22 AM

KW V3's will give you more setting choices than PSS10's.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM

2014 CLA 45
I appreciate the feedback people, I ordered the camber bolts for the fronts and I'll give that a try, see how that goes. I suspect I might move unto coilovers in future...
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM

cla 45 amg
The regular AMG non performance shocks should be more than enough to satisfy your driving needs imo. Coilovers after sway bars and front struts come out. There are some front almuminum struts on ebay but they aren't solid. If you get those and weld them to be completely solid i'd look into it but if not just get springs for now along with camber bolts and just get a good alignment shop to help you tune it to your exact needs.

With the stock AMG suspension and camber bolt, i've hit triple digits turning. Can't tell you where but just letting you know the car's stock setup is pretty soft for a reason, it's easy to drive. Making it stiffer could possibly make it harder to control at the limit for most drivers like myself. Take it slow in the mod game, you're in for the long haul!!! Coilovers if you want to scrape the **** out of the bottom of your car lol DONT DO IT TO A BENZ... Unless... RACE CAR

Are you driving on back roads or track?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM

cla 45 amg
btw, i have H&R springs otw from germany as well
Old 02-16-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by CLA45AMG2.0
btw, i have H&R springs otw from germany as well
how do you like these?
what was cost shipped to US?
thx
Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 PM

2014 CLA 45
Thanks for input 2.0!! I have the AMG performance suspension, thinking coilovers to adjust for a softer ride as this is promarily a street car. Initially I thought the ride was too stiff compared to the already stiffer AMG perf setup, but Im getting used to it for now. I got the HR coils designed for the 45 from Germany, with the 25 mm drop, car looks fantastic and Im not looking for a bigger drop with coilovers. Im assuming you have the stock suspension on your 45?

The bigger issue was the camber and alignment are way of spec and steering wheel is way off center, Im sure the bolts will help. The mechanic I used said he tried to get it right but needed something to correct the camber, so ive already ordered the bolts and we'll go back at it, so I will provide an update on the setup. Im also keeping an eye on the rear camber kit supposely in development from Benzworks in CA.

What Im after is to have the drop and keep similiar driving dynamics as with the stock AMG package.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
i have performance suspension as well. i just want to lower the car 1" what's best just a set of springs??
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM

cla 45 amg
for solely lowering purposes, springs are the way to go. And also i paid about 70 bucks for shipping, shipped on the 12th and its in the states already, should get to me before the end of the week

i have yet to put them on but will let you know what i think!! you can get coilovers but if you do, go with the KWv3 don't get the Bilstein ones. I heard the warranty structure is horrible with Bilstein and you're better off buying two sets since it takes forever to get em back from the warranty center.

but yeah in all honesty, suspension mods without sway bars is pretty pointless. wait for sway bars to come out and that'll really help you utilize the increased spring rate. in all honesty, i wish i had just gotten wider rims and tires for performance reasons. i want to try and run 265 or at least 255 since the CLA racing series uses 55 i believe. goodluck on your journey!!!!

"mod by mod" not "MODS MODS MODS" lol
Old 02-17-2015, 05:27 PM

for solely lowering purposes, springs are the way to go. And also i paid about 70 bucks for shipping, shipped on the 12th and its in the states already, should get to me before the end of the week

i have yet to put them on but will let you know what i think!! you can get coilovers but if you do, go with the KWv3 don't get the Bilstein ones. I heard the warranty structure is horrible with Bilstein and you're better off buying two sets since it takes forever to get em back from the warranty center.

but yeah in all honesty, suspension mods without sway bars is pretty pointless. wait for sway bars to come out and that'll really help you utilize the increased spring rate. in all honesty, i wish i had just gotten wider rims and tires for performance reasons. i want to try and run 265 or at least 255 since the CLA racing series uses 55 i believe. goodluck on your journey!!!!

"mod by mod" not "MODS MODS MODS" lol
You are certainly right from a cost perspective but I found the ride with just the H&R springs a bit too harsh for the not so smooth road where I drive.

V3s will allow more flexibility in ride height adjustment as well as rebound and compression rates which help to cater to individual ride preference. Sway bars can be swapped if and when necessary and available.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:55 AM

'08 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ddtung
Most current MBs don't allow camber adjustment from the factory but toe-in is adjustable. Front camber can be adjusted with factory camber bolts(max.+- 0.4) or with aftermarket camber bolts(I use Powerflex PFA100-14 for max +-1.5). Rear camber is the problem as the OEM tie rods are flat to fit in a tight space and aftermarket adjustable tie rods won't fit.

With the H&R springs your front camber would be around -1.5 which should be fine.

I have Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and my camber is (set) at -2.0 front and comes in at -2.5 back. Of course your settings may be slightly different due to lowering amount, wheel offsets, and tires.

Can I confirm that Powerflex PFA100-14 kit will fit the front of a CLA45 AMG? I emailed Powerflex yesterday before I saw this post and they said they didn't have anything to suit CLA45?
Old 12-16-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
i paid about 70 bucks for shipping, shipped on the 12th and its in the states already, should get to me before the end of the week
just fyi guys---- tire rack has these (28858-3) for $240 with free shipping.

Ordered them on Nov 16 and received on Nov 18th.

I had my dealer install them last week-- they look awesome!!

Last edited by ML55CLA45; 03-19-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 PM
SPONSOR

Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by JonellDJ
Just installed the HR springs for the 45 I do have the AMG suspension option, HR Model: 28858-3.

The mechanic that did the install told me he did as much as possible to align but car would need a camber kit. There is some toe in, and car pulls right.

Is this correct? I was under impression that it wasn't necessary with these springs, its roughly a 25 mm drop.

Anybody with experience please chime in with any tips as to correct this issue. Are there any camber kits for the 45 if needed?

BTW, car looks great with the drop...

CAMBER KIT NEEDED….

K-MAC manufactures front Camber and Caster and rear Camber (with extra Toe) adjuster kits to suit all 2013 – 2015 A, B, CLA/AMG, GLA/AMG Models

In fact, kits suit virtually every model Mercedes 1968 to 2015 – Sedans, Wagons, SUV’s and Sprinter, Vito commercials.

K-MAC has the experience of manufacturing front and rear adjuster kits longer than any other company with World’s largest range – Audi to Volvo.

Because of cost cutting and ever increasing speed of assembly lines, majority of today’s autos only have front and rear Toe adjustment!

CAMBER: Allows to actually change the tire contact area, resolving costly, premature edge tire wear, improving traction, reducing understeer or oversteer

CASTER: Resolves steering pull, increases steering response with better turn-in and high speed directional control. Along with improved anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration

Above also essential if altering height, fitting wide profile tires, load carrying or simply the capability of ongoing adjustment for curb knock damage.

2013-15 A, B, CLA/AMG, GLA/AMG:

FRONT KIT (Stage 2 or 3) – The K-MAC unique patented design provides up to ‘3’ degrees extra Negative Camber or 1.5 Positive.

TRACK DAYS – dramatically reducing understeer allowing to go deeper into the corners lowering lap times with increased traction and braking response.

CHECKLIST (SIMPLY REPLACES FRONT TOP STRUT MOUNTS):
1. Not soft billet alloy but highest aircraft 7075 grade
2. Stage 2 (Street/Race) – Centers similar to OEM but elastomer not rubber for quicker response times – centers replaceable
3. Stage 3 (Full Race) – self align spherical bearings (PTFE lined). Massive H/Duty radial thrust bearings for steering loads
4. Separate H/Duty radial thrust bearings for steering loads
5. No height increase (and minimum stack height if coil overs fitted)
6. Separate Camber and Caster adjustment
7. Can adjust with strut brace fitted and also record settings
8. Adjust from engine bay (accurately – under load)
9. Fit with OEM diameter springs or popular 60-70mm ID coil overs

REAR KIT – The K-MAC unique patented design rear kit replaces the lower control arm inner bushes for precise single wrench adjustment (up to 1.75 degrees Positive or Negative). Accurately under load, direct on alignment rack.

Bush extraction tool is supplied so no need for arm removal. Separate bushes are also supplied to double the existing rear Toe adjustment to cater for the new rear Camber facility.

Rear kit resolves costly premature edge tire wear. Can also fine tune for maximum traction on track days.

These 4 rear (main bushes) are designed with more than twice the load bearing area to also reduce rear flex, improve stability and handling response.

FRONT Stage 2 (Street/Race) Camber and Caster #506116-2L $545US
Stage 3 (Full Race) Camber and Caster #506116-3L $545US

REAR Camber and Toe #5061116-3K $480US

Delivery MB World Members (USA/Canada) $30 one kit or $40 Front and Rear. Can pay by PayPal, Visa or MasterCard.

See our latest catalog http://K-mac.com/mercedes/