CLA 45 AMG (C117) 2013 to 2018

Track Day!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 CLA45 AMG (soon) 2006 JEEP SRT8 & ZX14R
Track Day!

I took mine to the track a few days ago - it's was just awesome! So much fun. I had about 1900 miles when I went to the track. One track day and you will be addicted. The only problems I had were the tires were not really up to the task; it really ate up the edge of the tire and I was running 41 psi cold. I unfortunately have the Dunlop's. I ordered a set of Michelin Pilots Super Sports which should provide more traction and hold up better. The other problem was I believe I boiled the brake fluid since I heard a warning chime and the brakes went real soft and loss power which made me slow down for the following corners until I could exit the track and let it cool down. The good news is I went back on the track 15 minutes later and the brakes were fine. I ordered some Castrol SRF brake fluid so I will not encounter that problem again. Be sure you use ESP sport mode or turn off the traction control. I used manual shifting mostly but tried sport mode also which worked fairly well. Next time I am going to compare lap times for both shift modes. A few drivers I spoke with said they couldn't believe how fast the car was. Did I mention it is addicting? It is fricken great! I went to HPR (High Plains Raceway) in Colorado.

Here is a link to GoPro dash video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4p...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by buzz13; 05-19-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Very cool!

Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
18 E63S
very nice.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 PM

CLA45 AMG
Hey again, idk if you have collision assist but the brakes going soft seems like either the ABS was engaging or something. It could also be the collision assist kicking in since you were approaching a car or something. I don't think the car has brake sensors that would alert you for boiling the fluid.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:08 PM

2015 CLA45 AMG (soon) 2006 JEEP SRT8 & ZX14R
Not Sure

Originally Posted by DONTLIFT
Hey again, idk if you have collision assist but the brakes going soft seems like either the ABS was engaging or something. It could also be the collision assist kicking in since you were approaching a car or something. I don't think the car has brake sensors that would alert you for boiling the fluid.

I had all the electronic aids off, I'm not sure what it could have been. I heard the warning sound and then the brakes when way down (may have been unrelated - I wonder at what temp it gives a warning) and I had to scrub speed sliding in the corner and the next corner I went slower and the brakes were still bad so I just took it easy and went parked for a short cool down and the brakes were fine after that. Who knows. I'll get out there again soon but with the Castrol SRF and hope all is well which I suspect it should be. I put on the new Michelin Pilot Sport's today and I hope they hold up better than the Dunlops. Michelin recommends 46 F & 45 rear - wow, kind of high. I'm going to call their motorsports division and see if they have a recommendation.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:52 AM

CLA 45
Did you flush brake fluid before track event? When was last time? Yeah I don't think there is a sensor for fluid. If you had to get a tech inspection before tracking, they should have asked s out fluid being flushed.

I use the supersports. Great tire. I've tracked them at 40lbs+ which does seem high, and this weekend I dropped it down to 30. I've improved my lap time by avg 8 secs, however there are other variables that could have affected. It was much hotter this event, last one was still cool weather. I've added a downpipe which may or may not have helped speed in straight, but mostly my driving skills have gotten much better.

I'm going to track next week and try a higher pressure.