The Quest Begins; Invoice Price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Golf R
The Quest Begins; Invoice Price?

Hi Folks!!
I'm due to be getting a substantial promotion at work, and I've decided that over the next few months, I'd like to graduate from my 2018 Golf R to a 2021 AMG CLA 45. I'm just now getting into the game, and I'm hoping a few forum members might be able to help me out.

Is there anywhere to get MB invoice pricing based on VIN? As opposed to Edmunds True Value, or other similar NADA guides? If not, I read on this forum back in 2019 that MB Dealer standard markup on Invoice Price is 6%, plus all of the wiggly things like incentives, holdback, etc. Still true?

I just saw a post in this section that claims a heroic 10% off; how feasible is this?

Finally, when is the best time of year to approach a MB dealership? I'm based in Albany, NY, but open to buying anything within 300 miles without a second thought; internet deal with delivery also up my alley. Would Memorial Day be a good time for incentives? I know MB has a big set of Xmas deals; worth waiting until then?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:47 PM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
Hey, welcome to the forum. I don’t know how accurate true value or Nada are atm, but it doesn’t hurt to check. Also, Im assuming you plan to go custom build / order and wont be buying off the lot. Dealers have to pay a nominal amount per month (I believe) for cars sitting on their lot. Therefore you can usually push the envelope more on a car thats been sitting for a bit.

(You can read more about that here.)

The car is still fairly new and low volume afaik (partially due to covid), so those sites may be somewhat inaccurate. Also keep in mind those sites also typically give you a % off based on a standard model. Some options with MB get pricey quickly.

My suggestion would be to spec out what you want on the MB website, get a list together of all your options + delivery fee. Take that list and email a bunch of the internet sales departments for MB dealers in your area and basically ask what they can do for you as far as % off. This is what I did and was able to get 5.5% off my custom build.

Im sure you could get more than that if you really push or are willing to travel further. I had a couple dealers a bit further out from me offer 6%, but in the end I went with the 5.5% off at a dealer close to me. They are an “AMG center” dealer and had an earlier allocation, so I went with them for convenience.

I know new car sales are still down due to covid, so that could help to some degree as well. However, I would imagine as you try to go up from 6 to 10% off it gets increasingly difficult, so it really comes down to what you’d prefer.

As far as best times to buy a new car, they are typically end of month, end of quarter, then end of year, with better deals to be had as you go from EoM to EoY. Christmas season coupled with EoY is usually prime afaik.

I don't think a custom order would work the same, as you don’t typically know exactly when it will arrive (especially now adays). I dont believe the sale on a pre order really counts at all for the dealership until it arrives, you sign everything, then take ownership.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:26 AM

VW Golf R
Thanks!! This helps. I was in fact planning on lot-spotting, getting a "true price" with those specific options, and then ringing up the internet manager to see if I can do a deal or at least set it up prior to heading out there.

One aspect of that I haven't fully ironed out is my trade-in; has anyone had a dealership willing to examine photos of a trade-in and offer a soft offer contingent on arriving with said vehicle in same condition?

I'm thinking either memorial day or end of June might be when I start looking in earnest, if promotion is in hand by then.
Old 04-22-2021, 06:06 PM
ozo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG, Subaru WRX STI
Cool, you might be able to push harder on an off the lot car. Guess you’ll find out haha.

Good luck, let us know how it goes (and post pics when you get it!).
The following users liked this post:
Abilor (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 10:29 PM

VW Golf R
Ha, trust me, I'll be around all the time. I usually put a full set of Stage 1 mods and a tune in my first year with a new baby.

I'd rather make the jump to a big boy platform than spend $1500 on a new clutch just to start down the Stage 2 road on my Golf R.

Are there any tuner offerings on this platform that are ODBII Plug and Play? I have a Cobb AP now and love it. Doubles as my fuel trims, intake Temps, and boost gauges.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:41 PM

2022 CLA45
Hello! Also new to the forum but have been following this thread for a bit.

Any updates on your search? I am also in the market for a 2021 CLA45 so we are in the same boat here.

And hopefully you have secured your promotion!