4Matic+ Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 12:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia QV, VW Taos
4Matic+ Question

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions about the 4Matic+ AWD system and the accompanying torque splitter / LSD system.
  1. I chose to not get the track package (or so it's called up here in Canada) which removes race and drift mode, but does that mean that the LSD and the 4Matic+ system is different, or is that track package basically software unlocking different behaviors in the same hardware?
  2. Is there a similar type of servicing that needs to go into the 4Matic+ system; sort of like the Haldex maintenance that needed to be performed every once in awhile?
Also as an aside, when ordering my vehicle, I noticed that I had no option to request red brake calipers - The track package does give you the bigger breaks with red ones - Is this just punishment for being in a smaller market?

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2022, 02:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
I think the system is mechanically the same... you just won't have the drift mode and race mode software enabled. The red brake calipers aren't just a colour difference... they are 6 piston versus the regular silver calipers that are 4 piston.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cla
Is this just punishment for being in a smaller market?

[/QUOTE]

As for me it's a punishment. Basically I spent 3500 CAD for Track Package just to get the red brake calipers. Other three in the package aren't that important for me. Especially "AMG Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA" hard to takecare or "Increased top speed" there is no Autobahn in Canada. With my build I'm unable to get "AMG Aerodynamics Package" factory respond there are some parts out of stock... Just wondering if others are having the same problem?
Old 02-22-2022, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,517 Posts
2019 C63CS
As mentioned above, the 4Matic+ hardware is the same. The Race and Drift modes are just coded in. Can be done aftermarket through companies like RJ Automotive (https://rjautomotive.net/products/dr...5-non-s-models). Not sure what the maintenance schedule is for the 45, but the diff/torque splitter likely needs regular fluid changes just like the electronic locking differential in the 63 models. As for brakes, what's been said above is also correct. The color of the brake calipers is not a standalone option, and is not just the color. With AMGs the color indicates the brake system. Silver indicates the smaller brake system for the non-S models, red indicates the large performance brake system standard on S models, and gold is for the carbon ceramic brakes. They can't be ordered standalone per se. In the past you had to get the S if you wanted the bigger brake system with the red calipers, and it was part of what differentiated the S from the non-S. Now you can add several of the S options via a package, but you can't just add the upgraded brakes in any market.

BTW, the 45 has been discontinued and only the 45S will be available moving forward, so all of this is kinda becoming a moot point. Surprised you can still order a 45.
The following users liked this post:
flocons (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by zackt
As for me it's a punishment. Basically I spent 3500 CAD for Track Package just to get the red brake calipers. Other three in the package aren't that important for me. Especially "AMG Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA" hard to takecare or "Increased top speed" there is no Autobahn in Canada. With my build I'm unable to get "AMG Aerodynamics Package" factory respond there are some parts out of stock... Just wondering if others are having the same problem?
I had that exact same thought process, but ended up on the side of "Those white / silver calips don't look that bad!". I was a toss-up between the track vs. performance seats, and I absolutely love those Recaros. However, I'm actually think about changing my order to delete the nav package to put in the upgraded stereo instead, and also that matte paint. Love the look, don't want the maintenance....
Old 02-22-2022, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
BTW, the 45 has been discontinued and only the 45S will be available moving forward, so all of this is kinda becoming a moot point. Surprised you can still order a 45.
I heard that too, but seems to be only in the States. Up here, CLA 45 is still on the website, and the "s" is nowhere to be found <shrug>.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by flocons
I heard that too, but seems to be only in the States. Up here, CLA 45 is still on the website, and the "s" is nowhere to be found <shrug>.
Nope, it's worldwide. I just checked MB Germany and the 45 is gone. It's gone from the USA website, too, and no word yet on whether this is it or if North America is gonna get the 45S.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:09 PM

Nope, it's worldwide. I just checked MB Germany and the 45 is gone. It's gone from the USA website, too, and no word yet on whether this is it or if North America is gonna get the 45S.
Well, they took my money - So worst case scenario is that they volun-tell me to upgrade to a 45s, I throw a tantrum, and get a price break?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Well, they took my money - So worst case scenario is that they volun-tell me to upgrade to a 45s, I throw a tantrum, and get a price break?
Yeah, dealerships won't refuse money, even if they don't actually have an allocation to order your car. Ask them for the status of your order and the PO#. No PO# = No actual order. With the current shortages and entire models being cut, it's anyone's guess if and what you actually gonna get at the end and when.
The following users liked this post:
crester (02-23-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:46 PM

Yeah, dealerships won't refuse money, even if they don't actually have an allocation to order your car. Ask them for the status of your order and the PO#. No PO# = No actual order. With the current shortages and entire models being cut, it's anyone's guess if and what you actually gonna get at the end and when.
TBH, with all the shortages, it may be my 2022 RS3 order all over again! LOL!
Old 02-23-2022, 01:56 AM

Merc
TBH, with all the shortages, it may be my 2022 RS3 order all over again! LOL!
Ouch... were you one of the guys who put a deposit down on a 2022 RS3 only to have the order cancelled? I'm hoping the same doesn't happen with the CLA45.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by crester
Ouch... were you one of the guys who put a deposit down on a 2022 RS3 only to have the order cancelled? I'm hoping the same doesn't happen with the CLA45.
That was me!

if the same thing happens here again, I would be sad. I hope my worst fear doesn’t happen: end up with a Tesla….
Old 02-23-2022, 02:14 AM

Merc
So while yes Mercedes has said they are stopping producion of the non-S variant of the CLA45... people seem to be assuming this means North America will get the CLA45S. When really it's more likely the CLA45 will stop coming to the USA. The only difference between the CLA45 and CLA45S is the engine tune because USA is perceived to have lower quality fuel. So unless USA gas suddenly got better... I don't know if they'd release the CLA45S here.

As further evidence of my theory... look how the A-Class is being cancelled completely for the USA and versions of the CLA and GLA are already disappearing from the MB USA website.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:22 AM

Merc

Last edited by crester; 02-23-2022 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:25 AM

Merc
That was me!  if the same thing happens here again, I would be sad. I hope my worst fear doesn’t happen: end up with a Tesla….
That sucks... the only thing I'm happy about is Audi cancelling the 5 cylinder cars for Canada is making the value of my TT-RS go up! lol So if your CLA45 doesn't come thru... you're going to get a Tesla Model 3? My backup plan is the Genesis G70... 3.3L twin turbo V6! I thought about the BMW M240i as well... but it looks meh and awkward... and the steering is crap.

​​​​​​​
Old 02-23-2022, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by crester
That sucks... the only thing I'm happy about is Audi cancelling the 5 cylinder cars for Canada is making the value of my TT-RS go up! lol So if your CLA45 doesn't come thru... you're going to get a Tesla Model 3? My backup plan is the Genesis G70... 3.3L twin turbo V6! I thought about the BMW M240i as well... but it looks meh and awkward... and the steering is crap.
Nah, I was just joking about the Tesla. I don’t think I could buy an EV yet. As for the G70, I like the original pre-face lifted one better. I have a few backups: Macan S or just splurge on a Giulia QF.