Notices
CLA 45 AMG (C118) 2019 to Present

Need your feedback for the CLA 45 please ! :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A200
Lightbulb Need your feedback for the CLA 45 please ! :)

Hi good people, I'm asking for your precious feedback ! So, given my budget, I'm narrowed down to these 3 models:
---> C400 Coupe (333 PS)
---> CLA 45 AMG (387 PS)
---> E300 Coupe (258 PS)

With my configurations, all three are quite similar in price. I'm posting here because I'm leaning towards the CLA. Main reason: It has 4 doors and still maintains the coupe look. I also like its compact size, the grill, the wheels, the 4 pipes and I generally like how it looks aggressive without overdoing it. What I want to find out is how the AMG status of the CLA, differentiates it from the other two. I understand the E300 and especially the C400 are powerful cars, but I still consider them as regular Benzes, unlike the CLA which is marketed as a different category.

So, here's where I need your help:

---> Both the C400 and the CLA 45 are fast cars. One is a regular Benz, the other is an AMG. Putting that detail aside, is there anything you can do with the C that you can't do (as well) with the AMG CLA? Of all the performance advantages the CLA 45 (probably) has over the C, are there areas in which it's considered inferior?

---> The C400 and the CLA 45 have the same fuel consumption. Having that in mind, is ownership of the CLA 45 more expensive than the C400? Are there "AMG costs" that a high-end C-class doesn't have?

---> The C400 is the highest-end of the mainstream C-class. The CLA 45 is on the low-end of the AMG family. Does that make them “equal” in terms of how they generally perform and feel? Or are they still two very different cars?

---> I want a car to drive every day to work, to lunch/dinner, to the supermarket, to other towns, to the countryside. Can the CLA 45 be used in this fashion or is it only meant to be used less frequently or as a second car?

---> And finally, the mother of all questions: Being an AMG, is the CLA 45 more likely to break than a regular CLA? From my understanding, it's a 2.0L i4 engine that produces way-way more power than what a typical 2.0L engine does. So, can all this tension gradually become "too much" for the engine? The car is from 2019, but I can't find any reports on how reliable it is in late 2021.

Any feedback you can provide will be much appreciated ! Thank you !
Old 10-27-2021, 07:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Merc
Just based on the other cars you are comparing it to... I would tell you NOT to buy the CLA 45. The reason someone gets a CLA45 is because they like the driving dynamics... because these cars are so nimble and fun to drive. If your priorities are luxury... go with the C or E.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:17 AM

A200
By luxury you mean how comfortable they drive right? (Because if you mean luxury features, I think all three share similar characteristics).

So is there's a big difference between the C & E compared to the CLA 45? Is the suspension very rough and not comfortable to drive everyday? Included in the configuration of the CLA 45, I have added the option "AMG Ride control suspension", which increases substantially both comfort and sport suspensions.

The salesman told me that with that option, the car behaves like a normal car in "C" mode. I'd rather have that verified by an actual owner though!
Old 10-29-2021, 08:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,994 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Hmmm here is my opinion, hopefully you find it helpful:

What year is the CLA 45 (you say it is from 2019? or is that for a different vehicle if I read it right), C400 and E300? CLA 45 will never be as comfortable as a CLA 250 let alone an E-Class non AMG tuned (in your case, the E300). It has to do with the nature of the suspension. Even a C300 with sport suspension won't be as comfortable as a C300 base luxury line because the tuning is different. It is serving a different purpose. For example my C43 was never as comfortable as C300 loaners in Comfort mode. It is also extremely stiff in Sport+ mode compared to Sport+ mode on the C300, but that is intentional, it was tuned that way for performance unlike the fully luxury focused C300. I always hear complaints from owners of E63s about their suspension being too stiff even in comfort mode, that is just the nature of it (although complaints certainly helps because the new facelift which is the MY21+ E63s did improve on comfort), it is meant to be an extremely fast vehicle yet still be comfortable enough but if driving excitement isn't your thing and you just want a vehicle that accelerates to the speed limit with no drama, in comfort and in a very smooth way, the E300 should be on the top of your list (especially if it has ABC, active body control, basically Mercedes' air suspension system before the E-active body control)

As for ownership costs, the services is more or less the same but keep in mind (and to answer your question on the reliability), if you are keeping the vehicle for a long term, the heavily tuned 4-cylinder in the CLA 45 is certainly working much harder than the less tuned 4-cylinder in the E300 and which too is working less harder than the C400 since C400 has 6-cylinders.

The CLA 45 is more nimble around corners and easier to park because of its size and how the tuning certainly helps, the E300 on the other hand requires much more patience when parking and needs you to slow down more when going through corners if you don't want to experience a lot of body roll. I personally would always recommend an E-Class over all the above (I test driven multiple E450 coupes and it was always a dream to drive even compared to my C43 but I do prefer the exhaust note of my C43 a lot, that is the only thing holding me back from getting an E450 coupe, I was impressed with the E-Class a lot more than I thought I ever would, it seems similar to my C43 yet so different, the fit and finishes are so much better, the drive is so much more refine, maybe I am getting old lol) but based on what you want which is a compact size, the styling of the vehicle, I understand why you would prefer the CLA 45. Based on the fact that you don't want "regular MBs", and want something performance oriented, your choice of CLA 45 might be wise for you indeed.

Based on what you need, using the vehicle as a daily driver to work, lunch, supermarket, country side for all four seasons should be fine thanks to 4MATIC (although if it snows in your place, winter tires are always recommended)

Either way though, I recommend actually test driving all 3 vehicles before you come to a conclusion.

The following users liked this post:
IrishCoffee (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 09:13 AM

A200
I appreciate taking the time to answer, that was very-very helpful (read it twice!). The main issue I'm facing, is that none of my three candidates are available at the dealership. When it comes to the C and E, I drove their less powerful counterparts (C200 & E200) and I was told the experience is quite representative of what I'll get with the C400 and the E300.

However, they told me the CLA 180 has nothing to do with the CLA 45, so it's a big risk for me to order without experiencing what "firm suspension" means. When it comes to sport suspension, the closest I've ever experienced is the 4th and 5th generation Golf GTI but I can't find anyone to compare the CLA 45 to those two.

Guess I gotta give it more time, until I finally get my hands on one and see for myself!
Old 10-29-2021, 11:29 AM

Merc
IrishCoffee... what car are you driving currently? I really don't think the CLA45 is the car for you... I think you are just getting swayed by the AMG badge.

I can tell that if you buy the CLA 45 you're going to complain that the car is too stiff... there's too much road noise... the seats aren't comfortable enough... while there's technology it doesn't feel luxurious and pampering like a Mercedes "should"... stereo sucks... etc... etc.

Last edited by crester; 10-29-2021 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:49 PM

A200
Originally Posted by crester
IrishCoffee... what car are you driving currently? I really don't think the CLA45 is the car for you... I think you are just getting swayed by the AMG badge.
I drive a 2016 A200, which will soon go to my wife, and a (dying) 2008 GTI MKV.
Yes, 100% I am swayed by the AMG badge, I have been for years. I'm now in position to actually afford (a 4cyl) one but I'm not in position to use it only as a weekend car; it needs to be my daily driver too. And my daily life is work-home-work-home....
Old 10-29-2021, 02:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee
I appreciate taking the time to answer, that was very-very helpful (read it twice!). The main issue I'm facing, is that none of my three candidates are available at the dealership. When it comes to the C and E, I drove their less powerful counterparts (C200 & E200) and I was told the experience is quite representative of what I'll get with the C400 and the E300.

However, they told me the CLA 180 has nothing to do with the CLA 45, so it's a big risk for me to order without experiencing what "firm suspension" means. When it comes to sport suspension, the closest I've ever experienced is the 4th and 5th generation Golf GTI but I can't find anyone to compare the CLA 45 to those two.

Guess I gotta give it more time, until I finally get my hands on one and see for myself!
No worries, I am glad the information was useful to you. Yup I definitely advise test driving first, you really don't want buyer's remorse on cars.
Keep us updated, and hopefully they have stock available soon : )
IrishCoffee (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 CLA 45 AMG
While not directly answering your question, here were some observations I had when comparing a new, well-equipped CLA 45 to a used or base model C63:
  • A common criticism of CLAs in general have been that they have less expensive finishes versus a C-class. More recent reviews of the CLA-class indicate that the finishes on the C118 (starting with MY20) are more similar to a C-class than the previous generation. But, maybe more importantly, is that there are plenty of C-class owners who complain about low quality finishes, buzzing, rattling, etc. So I don't really buy this argument, and my personal experience so far has been positive.
  • A common criticism of the CLA 45 is that, when optioned out, it costs almost the same as a base C63. "And if you're really an enthusiast, wouldn't you go for the bigger engine?" I disagree with that criticism for 2 main reasons. First, who really defines what it means to be an enthusiast? Second, someone looking in that price range probably wouldn't be excited (or "enthused") to drive a C63 with no options. I do think the CLA 45 is slightly overpriced, but not anything to the degree claimed by its biggest critics. (And, with supply shortage pricing, it's now a bargain by comparison.)
  • At the end of the day, I chose a CLA 45 over a C63 (and certainly over a C400) because I needed a sedan and I liked the way it looked compared to a C-class sedan. It's almost like a mini GT.
Oh, and like others have said, the suspension is stiff, even in comfort mode.

IrishCoffee (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Just notice something and want to confirm but... OP, you said the car is from 2019, do you mean the 2019 model year or 2020 model year, if that is the case, it might be a C117. The C118 was first available as MY20 in late 2019.
crester (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 12:30 AM

A200
Thanks JRuby for your feedback. Agree with your points, especially the fully spec'ed CLA45 vs base C63. The stiff suspension even in C-mode kind of worries me. The salesman told me that with the "Ride control suspension" option it will be much better, but how much can you trust something unless you try it.. And yes, I too see the CLA 45 as a baby 4-door GT

W205C43PFL: The car I'm (hopefully) ordering will be 2022. By the "2019" I mentioned, I meant the begining of the C118 generation, which I think dates enough back to first have a decent reliability report and second, to fix certain issues that first appeared!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks JRuby for your feedback. Agree with your points, especially the fully spec'ed CLA45 vs base C63. The stiff suspension even in C-mode kind of worries me. The salesman told me that with the "Ride control suspension" option it will be much better, but how much can you trust something unless you try it.. And yes, I too see the CLA 45 as a baby 4-door GT

W205C43PFL: The car I'm (hopefully) ordering will be 2022. By the "2019" I mentioned, I meant the begining of the C118 generation, which I think dates enough back to first have a decent reliability report and second, to fix certain issues that first appeared!
Thanks for your reply, that's good then because the C118, is a way better put together car and much more refined than the C117. I bolded a key point in your post, so please do test drive before deciding.

Back to JRuby's post, there was a youtuber that had a C63 and now has a CLA 45, you may watch some of his videos to hear his opinion on the two cars before you decide:
https://www.youtube.com/c/yaboibakalli/videos
IrishCoffee (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 11:59 AM

Merc
When watching yaboibakalli... keep in mind he seems kinda clickbaity tho
jeff.clt (12-27-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 01:05 AM

A200
Thanks! I'm quite familiar with yaboibakalli, his video on what he doesn't like about the CLA 45, was my first introduction to the car!
(My configuration is far less spec'ed than his though.)
It was also the first time I heard complaints about the Burmester sound being below average on the CLA, which is dissapointing.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thanks! I'm quite familiar with yaboibakalli, his video on what he doesn't like about the CLA 45, was my first introduction to the car!
(My configuration is far less spec'ed than his though.)
It was also the first time I heard complaints about the Burmester sound being below average on the CLA, which is dissapointing.
Here are more reviews of the CLA 45:

Thanks forum member crester for bringing it up, clickbaity or not, the reason I shared yaboibakalli's channel was because it is an ownership review unlike most other reviews out there which is a journalist's thought with the car after just a few days or even just one day, the car isn't run-in yet, the car is not adapted to one specific person's driving as there are many journalist driving the car. For example, the transmission is not able to adapt to one driving style which will make it behave differently and confused.
Here is another owner's review:

Curious question, did you consider the CLA 35 as well? It is not a hand-built engine and not as aggressively tuned but it is still rather fun to drive compared to the CLA 250.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-31-2021 at 04:46 PM.
crester (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 04:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Here is another CLA 45s review:

but he just became an owner today, so he will be posting videos from an ownership's perspective instead of just a reviewer's perspective like the previous video.:

Edit: I want to make sure of something, you are getting the CLA 45 and not the CLA 45s? In North America, we don't get CLA 45s, but not sure where you live, most likely your country offers CLA 45s, I recommend you getting the CLA 45s over the CLA 45 for sure.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 10-31-2021 at 04:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205C43PFL:
crester (10-31-2021), IrishCoffee (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 03:36 AM

A200
Thank you for all of these! I've seen the carwow one a while ago, will check the rest today!
As for the CLA35, I don't see it much as an AMG car, but rather a high-end CLA. I gave it some time to see if it was gonna get the panamericana (like the GLA35 and the GLB35) and maybe reconsider, but it's not happening just yet.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Thank you for all of these! I've seen the carwow one a while ago, will check the rest today!
As for the CLA35, I don't see it much as an AMG car, but rather a high-end CLA. I gave it some time to see if it was gonna get the panamericana (like the GLA35 and the GLB35) and maybe reconsider, but it's not happening just yet.
No problem. As for the CLA 35, it really depends on you really, do you need the extra power the CLA 45s gives, if so by all means get the CLA 45s, if you just want a rather capable car that still is more fun than a CLA 250, then the CLA 35 would be your choice while saving some money, although same as C63 vs CLA 45, a fully loaded CLA 35 would get you a base CLA 45 and then you add more for a CLA 45s.
As for the grille, it also is personal preference. If you do end up wanting to get "just" a CLA 35, you can always install the panamericana grille yourself afterwards.
IrishCoffee (11-01-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 01:23 PM

Merc
I test drove an A35 and really liked it. It felt quick... and was super fun to drive. Infact it was that car that made me order a CLA45 since they didn't have a 45 available for test drives. It wasn't too stiff as you could adjust the suspension and interior-wise it's basically the same as the 45.

IrishCoffee I'm just really worried you're going to get a car that too hardcore and more hardcore than you want just because you want "an AMG"... that's why my messages are trying to discourage you from getting the 45. If you really want the panamericana grille... I'm sure you can buy one online that will fit the 35 or any of the other Merc models you're considering.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:59 AM

A200
Appreciate the feedback crester. Thankfully, I'll get the chance to test drive the 2020 CLA 45-S (421hp) in December and find out for myself. I've also booked the A35 hatch to see how that performs compared to my GTI.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:46 AM

Merc
Appreciate the feedback crester. Thankfully, I'll get the chance to test drive the 2020 CLA 45-S (421hp) in December and find out for myself. I've also booked the A35 hatch to see how that performs compared to my GTI.
That's great... atleast you'll be able to see first hand what the CLA45 is like and decide if it is right for you. In my case the dealers had lots of A35 sedan and hatches to try but not CLA45's. They gave me a GLA45 (SUV) to try but the A35 felt much sportier... but atleast the GLA45 allowed me to feel the torque vectoring which is nice.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Do share your experience : ), we don't get the s model in Canada.

One of the reasons we don't get the CLA 45s model here is due to our gas not being as premium as Europe. As another forum member mentioned in a different thread, North American's gas is equivalent to midgrade in Europe.

Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2021, 11:58 AM

Merc
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Do share your experience : ), we don't get the s model in Canada.

One of the reasons we don't get the CLA 45s model here is due to our gas not being as premium as Europe. As another forum member mentioned in a different thread, North American's gas is equivalent to midgrade in Europe.

Enjoy!
Anyways... that's what we have EuroCharged Canada in Vaughan for... I've been trying to do some research... and I don't even think our Canadian gas is bad... it's the gas in areas of the USA that's bad and because we're a smaller market we just get whatever cars/specs USA gets.

https://www.eurocharged.com/product/...mg-ecu-tune-3/
Old 11-02-2021, 12:41 PM

A200
Will do!
Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by crester
Anyways... that's what we have EuroCharged Canada in Vaughan for... I've been trying to do some research... and I don't even think our Canadian gas is bad... it's the gas in areas of the USA that's bad and because we're a smaller market we just get whatever cars/specs USA gets.

https://www.eurocharged.com/product/...mg-ecu-tune-3/
Thanks for your comment : ) I always thought the S model have more to just horsepower boost though, perhaps I am wrong then. Yup, that makes sense, MB Canada's site is a carbon copy of MBUSA with slightly less features even, not surprised that we get cars just like the states.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 11-03-2021 at 12:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need your feedback for the CLA 45 please ! :)