CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)

Hey everyone!!

I'm about to purchase a C63 AMG Edition 507. It's priced at $97k with sales tax etc. It has also been reserved for me.
My dealership has also this CLA45 AMG, priced at $62k. Of course, the C63, especially the Edition 507 is a beast and overpowers the CLA45 in nearly every aspect that I can think of.
However, sometimes I think the C63, standard, black series, 507, whichever, is too much power for me. I'm not quite experienced driving high-performance cars like these, so sometimes I think the CLA45 is not only cheaper but a wise choice.

The C63 though, being the W204, just has the best engine sound possible. And frankly I care much more about the exhaust sound than the performance numbers. The CLA 45 has a great exhaust sound, but I am not sure if it is worth downgrading due to my worries.

For a more "inexperienced driver", would the CLA45 be a better choice? I also feel like the C63 draws much more attention than the CLA45, which is also something I kind of care about.
So, is the CLA45 good enough? How does it stack up compared to the W204 C63? What are your thoughts?

Thank you very much MBWorld!!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Between the two I would go for the C class, however if you are looking at spending almost $100k, I would do a used low mileage (2014 or newer) E63 S model which gives you a much better overall car and 4 wheel drive if that was part of the reason you were thinking about the CLA.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i asked this same question wrt the cla45 shooting brake vs a c63 estate. this was before the cla 45 sb landed in oz.
i bought the c63 anyway. and i then went to the dealership when the sb arrived to have a look
the first thing that struck me was the obvious lower level of quality of the interior materials. it reminded me of my mk6 golf gti. there was no luxury, there was nothing special about sitting in the drivers seat. a lot of chromed plastic.
the c63 is no e class, but it feels worlds better than the cla. as far as driving goes. you dont have to drive the guts out the the c63. u can stick it into C mode and punt around. its not like the car is on a knifes edge and can take off at any second.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by mcguirja
Between the two I would go for the C class, however if you are looking at spending almost $100k, I would do a used low mileage (2014 or newer) E63 S model which gives you a much better overall car and 4 wheel drive if that was part of the reason you were thinking about the CLA.
I agree with this. We had our cla45 less than 8 months before we were tired of it.
The new E is incredible!
Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 AM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by Fly by night
I agree with this. We had our cla45 less than 8 months before we were tired of it.
The new E is incredible!
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I never though, purchase used/CPO.
I am still torn: however I cannot really decide what is best for the driver because I will not be the driver. It'd be for a VERY responsible teenager who is about to get licensed. He is somewhat experienced behind the wheel, not enough to be considered experienced but certainly significantly more than others of his age.

I am not sure what to be looking for when giving him a car. Certainly sporty, yes. Certainly German. I was looking at special-ordering a W205 C63, buying a CLA45 or buying an Audi S4/S5. Would any of these just be fun enough to drive throughout HS years?
I'm worried:
C63: too much power although controllable in Comfort
CLA45: bad interior material quality, feel like it isn't the true AMG experience with the I4 2.0
Audi S4: I really, really wanted to make a deal with my Mercedes dealership, and I'm afraid they're updating the generation soon.

What are your thoughts, now that I got it cleared up?
Please, no parenting comments. I'm not getting him a Civic or anything like that. Worst case scenario would be a CLA250, but the AMG is what I'm aiming for buying. What is the most controllable, fun to drive, great exhaust sound, German made car that would be good for this scenario?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
C63 AMG would be my choice. I wouldn't even think of getting the new C63 as that can easily hit $90K+ after taxes and fees. The CLA45 AMG is also a great choice and they are adding more HP for the next model year so you might get a good deal on a 2014/2015 but the C63 has more room and to me would feel more comfortable. Let's also not forget about that 6.2L V8
Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 AM

I know u mentioned no parenting advice. But jesus. Way to lose perspective and totally destroy the concept of working hard.
Anyway. My advice would be to buy a audi s3 or vw golf r. Both are awd. Safe. German. And build quality is very good. The golf r has gotten nothing but positive reviews
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
I am still torn: however I cannot really decide what is best for the driver because I will not be the driver. It'd be for a VERY responsible teenager who is about to get licensed. He is somewhat experienced behind the wheel, not enough to be considered experienced but certainly significantly more than others of his age.

I am not sure what to be looking for when giving him a car. Certainly sporty, yes. Certainly German. I was looking at special-ordering a W205 C63, buying a CLA45 or buying an Audi S4/S5. Would any of these just be fun enough to drive throughout HS years?
I'm worried:
CLA45: bad interior material quality, feel like it isn't the true AMG experience with the I4 2.0
Audi S4: I really, really wanted to make a deal with my Mercedes dealership, and I'm afraid they're updating the generation soon.

Please, no parenting comments. I'm not getting him a Civic or anything like that. Worst case scenario would be a CLA250, but the AMG is what I'm aiming for buying. What is the most controllable, fun to drive, great exhaust sound, German made car that would be good for this scenario?

Thanks

exact same response my neighbor gave me .
I warned him not to give a high school kid such a powerful vehicle .
now his son is dead.
I would never by my sons a AMG when they were in high school and I could of easily done it.
think hard think very hard you only get one chance .
Old 08-18-2015, 01:05 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by tekfoc
exact same response my neighbor gave me .
I warned him not to give a high school kid such a powerful vehicle .
now his son is dead.
I would never by my sons a AMG when they were in high school and I could of easily done it.
think hard think very hard you only get one chance .
The way I put it, is that any car can speed and crash. Really. A 1998 Civic can crash as much as an S65 AMG can.
The AMG cars do drive like a normal vehicle with it in Comfort mode and if you don't step on it theoretically. AMG doesn't mean you put it in Drive and suddenly you're going 90 mph on the interstate. It means driving dynamics paired with performance and Mercedes-Benz level safety, being the first two criteria a few steps above a normal Mercedes car.

Since though, you have that opinion, what would you suggest as a good alternative? And around that price range (50k-90k) I was looking at? I am now thinking heavily on BMW 435i/335i fully loaded, or an Audi S4, or the Mercedes C450 AMG which is yet to be released (anyone knows when it comes out?)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
b8.5 Audi S4/S5 is a better car than the cla45 hands down. I had a b8 s4 and just sold it after 4.5 years of wonderful ownership for a low mileage well maintained w204 C63.

I say get a s4/s5 over a cla45 orthe c63 over both but find one low mileage and warrantied. 100k is not what you should be paying for a c63. Or find a used black series lol

Edit: just read that this is for a kid! do the s4 hands down. Safer and reliable and still fast and fun.

I'm worried:

Thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by ENVē
b8.5 Audi S4/S5 is a better car than the cla45 hands down. I had a b8 s4 and just sold it after 4.5 years of wonderful ownership for a low mileage well maintained w204 C63.

I say get a s4/s5 over a cla45 orthe c63 over both but find one low mileage and warrantied. 100k is not what you should be paying for a c63. Or find a used black series lol

Edit: just read that this is for a kid! do the s4 hands down. Safer and reliable and still fast and fun.
thanks for the input. I'd be spending around 97k for a 507 edition, but I'm leaning towards special ordering one which would cost me around 80k. The CLA45 is at 65k, and the S4 is around that same price as well. 15k is not much of a difference, but the difference in between the cars is incredible, especially for the price difference.

What makes you pick the S4 over the CLA? I have a bias for MB, because when I came to get the ML350 I lease today, I before went to my Audi dealership for a lease on a Q7. They did not want to help us because we're on the Non-SSN program for the banks as far as leasing and financing goes (we're Brazilians, kid studying in the US-all completely legal if you're wondering lol). Also, I favor MB because we already have a history with them, and they offered me a better deal than last time for the 507 Edition I was looking at.

I'm just wanting to get these questions answered:
What makes the S4 a better choice over the CLA45?
Are there any other alternatives that would be reasonable competitors to the cars?
Is the C63, even in its standard version, a car way too powerful even driven responsibly? (he'd be driving with an adult for a year in that car, so I think he'd get the hang of whichever car he'll have by the time he can drive by himself.)

Thank you
Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by yellows2k
I know u mentioned no parenting advice. But jesus. Way to lose perspective and totally destroy the concept of working hard.
Anyway. My advice would be to buy a audi s3 or vw golf r. Both are awd. Safe. German. And build quality is very good. The golf r has gotten nothing but positive reviews
I disagree about Yellow's perspective about the concept of working hard, however, I agree the Golf R or S3 would be an excellent choice.

I had my share of nice cars in high school myself, nothing on the level we are talking though. Firebird Formula V8, a new Mustang GT, and a new Ford Lightning. With that said, the highest HP car in that bunch was 360hp and I had it when I was a senior. My first car was a 1984 El Camino, driving in the rain the first time was interesting to say the least. Personally I would buy him a car, can be a nice car (CPO C350 4matic), something used. Let him get a couple years experience then buy him a fantastic car Senior year or when he graduates.

If you are trying to keep up with the Joneses...

Do not purchase the C63 507. It is just too much power, and RWD. If you want to stick with Benz, I think the C450 AMG coupe/sedan would be a great choice.

If you want to be different...just get him this...

Super safe, fast, exclusive, and has room for friends and fido.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:34 AM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
I disagree about Yellow's perspective about the concept of working hard, however, I agree the Golf R or S3 would be an excellent choice.

I had my share of nice cars in high school myself, nothing on the level we are talking though. Firebird Formula V8, a new Mustang GT, and a new Ford Lightning. With that said, the highest HP car in that bunch was 360hp and I had it when I was a senior. My first car was a 1984 El Camino, driving in the rain the first time was interesting to say the least. Personally I would buy him a car, can be a nice car (CPO C350 4matic), something used. Let him get a couple years experience then buy him a fantastic car Senior year or when he graduates.

Do not purchase the C63 507. It is just too much power, and RWD. If you want to stick with Benz, I think the C450 AMG coupe/sedan would be a great choice.

Thanks for your input. I'm considering the S3 and the S4, I just think just a few more hp for a few grand on top will be much more car, and the driving difficulty would not change much. Like I said before, though, Mercedes is our favorite brand and nothing can beat it pretty much lol.

As for the 507, oh no trust me it is very probably it won't be the car for him. The fastest I'd go would be the C63 W205 which if I special ordered now would get in time for when his license would be good to go.
I'm really thinking about the C450 AMG as well, but what makes it a better choice than the CLA45, given both have nearly the same horsepower? The CLA being a 4 cyl, while the C450 is a V6 would to me seem the difference but I'm not sure if that would affect driving dynamics. What do you think?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Not sure what there is to disagree with. I think most normal people would think that buying a hs kid a $90k benz as their first car doesnt really promote the right image. What have they done? Unless you r the kardashians or minted. Then sure u have more money than most. But i grew up working hard for what i have and i wasnt gifted a $100k car as my first car.
Good for you that you are privaleged. Im sure you worked hard for it. But the majority of normal folks out there dont see it that way
Either way. The polestar is different

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm

Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 PM

2020 E63S
Not sure what there is to disagree with. I think most normal people would think that buying a hs kid a $90k benz as their first car doesnt really promote the right image. What have they done? Unless you r the kardashians or minted. Then sure u have more money than most. But i grew up working hard for what i have and i wasnt gifted a $100k car as my first car.
Good for you that you are privaleged. Im sure you worked hard for it. But the majority of normal folks out there dont see it that way
Either way. The polestar is different
Thanks for the input. I never tried to promote a negative, wrong image by giving him such a car. He's very deserving. He's responsible, a straight-A student that never brought me trouble only happiness. I was never underprivileged but I did work hard to keep it that way. Good job on your work and keep the good stuff up!

Anyway, car-wise:
I just went to the Mercedes-Benz dealership. They seemed not to have the C63 507 Edition anymore. They had traded from another store and they thought I'd lost interest so they gave it back. I rode before on a standard C63 (204) and it was beautiful. So I went on a ride on the CLA45. I underestimated the car, truly. It made an amazing sound on the exhaust which was the AMG Performance Exhaust. The ride was comfortable and the Recaro seats gave me more than enough support and embraced me pretty much. The car flew, and the interior was composed of very good materials. There was leather on top of the dash, etc. It had a beautiful Panorama Sunroof as well. Amazing.
I was sure that was the car but I asked stuff about the C450 AMG. He told me the hp ratings and stuff are similar to the CLA45, but they drive completely different. The C is heavier with a larger engine and is not the full AMG thing. It is a C400 tuned by AMG but that's about it. So, the exhaust wouldn't be as loud, the car wouldn't pull as hard, etc. There are a few that are configurable for me that would be there in October, and if I wanted to build my own CLA it'd get there in November. The C63s would also be around November/December.
My salesperson also showed me the E-Class Coupé. It looks gorgeous on the outside, but the inside is very adult (analog watch, etc) as it still is an E Class. It did have a V8 (E550) and a lot of power with it, but the car would not feel as sporty.

I have my mind set pretty much on the CLA45. The C450 doesn't perform as sporty as it, and the C63 is 30k more expensive and 150hp more powerful. Too much. The S3/S4/Golf R/ etc were good choices, but they aren't Mercedes.

I also took a look at this CLS63 AMG they had in the store, which I am thinking of getting for myself for when my ML350's lease is up.

Any other opinions let me know!! I'll keep you guys posted on what my thoughts are, and how everything is going.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:37 PM

I guess you are lucky that u are not in Australia as all beginner drivers are on P (provisional) plates for 3 years. In this time they are restricted on the type of cats they can drive. Powerful v8 and turbo performance cars are on the banned list. This was in response to the amount of young and inexperienced driver deaths
Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 PM

2020 E63S
I guess you are lucky that u are not in Australia as all beginner drivers are on P (provisional) plates for 3 years. In this time they are restricted on the type of cats they can drive. Powerful v8 and turbo performance cars are on the banned list. This was in response to the amount of young and inexperienced driver deaths
lol... no I'm in the US. Why can't the car just be in one of the parent's name so there is no Provisional tag? Also 3yrs is fcking ridiculous. The CLA 45 is going under my name to avoid getting insurance too ****ing high.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:45 PM

P plate drivers need to display a P sign on the front and rear of the car. If a cop pulls u over for a random check and u dont have them displayed. Then u lose points and a fine.
When i was a learner. It was 1 year on p plates. But the spike in young driver deaths meant a move to a 3 year term.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 PM

2020 E63S
P plate drivers need to display a P sign on the front and rear of the car. If a cop pulls u over for a random check and u dont have them displayed. Then u lose points and a fine.
When i was a learner. It was 1 year on p plates. But the spike in young driver deaths meant a move to a 3 year term.
Oh Australia..
Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
C63 would not be a good car for a teenager, as you can see in some of the older threads lol.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...first-car.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...frist-car.html
The CLA 45 would be a good middle ground like others have said. Something sporty/fun but without being a deathwish each time you press the gas.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
C63 would not be a good car for a teenager, as you can see in some of the older threads lol.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...first-car.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...frist-car.html
The CLA 45 would be a good middle ground like others have said. Something sporty/fun but without being a deathwish each time you press the gas.
Thanks, I completely agree now. I feel bad for the OPs in those forums, especially the second one. The second one didn't get one answer, only got embarrassed lol.
I think the CLA45 is a sporty fun car, completely deserving of the AMG title, unique car, etc. Also, if I were to give him something more powerful, he'd get used to 450-500hp under the hood and it would be painful to drive something less powerful in the future. The CLA45 will drive very comfortable in Comfort mode, so it would be easy if he ever were to drive a C300 someday, and on the other hand it would still give space to grow into sports cars, starting to drive a C63 is like building a house from the roof, it's hard to compete with a car so powerful and so well made. Then I guess the CLA45 it is.

Nice C63 build you have btw!

Last edited by ggonzaga; 08-21-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: because
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 PM

2020 E63S
You guys think a Heads-Up Display is helpful? I saw a C300 with one and I was stunned. This C63 AMG they're offering has one, and although I think the CLA45 is best I wonder is the HUD would do any good to keep distraction away? It is all that bothers me
Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 PM

thanks for the input. I'd be spending around 97k for a 507 edition, but I'm leaning towards special ordering one which would cost me around 80k. The CLA45 is at 65k, and the S4 is around that same price as well. 15k is not much of a difference, but the difference in between the cars is incredible, especially for the price difference.

What makes you pick the S4 over the CLA? I have a bias for MB, because when I came to get the ML350 I lease today, I before went to my Audi dealership for a lease on a Q7. They did not want to help us because we're on the Non-SSN program for the banks as far as leasing and financing goes (we're Brazilians, kid studying in the US-all completely legal if you're wondering lol). Also, I favor MB because we already have a history with them, and they offered me a better deal than last time for the 507 Edition I was looking at.

I'm just wanting to get these questions answered:
What makes the S4 a better choice over the CLA45?
Are there any other alternatives that would be reasonable competitors to the cars?
Is the C63, even in its standard version, a car way too powerful even driven responsibly? (he'd be driving with an adult for a year in that car, so I think he'd get the hang of whichever car he'll have by the time he can drive by himself.)

Thank you
The S4 has a 100x better interior than the CLA, great mods available, a VERY reliable drivetrain, and the best AWD out there. Especially with the Sports differential. I test drove a CLA45 and the S4 and the b8 S4 was leaps and bound much better than the CLA. Also it will be much safer for your kid.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by ENVē
The S4 has a 100x better interior than the CLA, great mods available, a VERY reliable drivetrain, and the best AWD out there. Especially with the Sports differential. I test drove a CLA45 and the S4 and the b8 S4 was leaps and bound much better than the CLA. Also it will be much safer for your kid.
Well, I used to drive an A4 and the interior was quite well made. The CLA45 though has leather on the dash and it feels very well built though. I saw a CLA250 and it does not have as much quality as the AMG did.
We will not be modding the car because it will be a lease and I do not want problems with the MBFS or whichever bank I will use.
As for the AWD, I live in Florida so probably won't be needing the AWD for anything and as far as I'm concerned the 4Matic system is very good. How would it be safer?
It does perform differently though, and it is a bigger car. And I think the S Badge isn't as impressive as the AMG is. I considered the S4 a lot, but those were my thoughts on it. The dealership only has one in a hideous blue color, whereas Mercedes has an available black one. I'm still thinking about it though. Many people in my building have the S4 and it is very good looking. Never saw one in action though.
How though would it be any safer?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:39 PM

I just have romped on 4matic vehicles and Quattro vehicles in all types of weather. The quattro with sports diff is better. Hell even regular 60r/40F split quattro felt better. Im just not a fan of the CLA45. Feels very non AMGish and cheap. But then again for a kid, its an awesome car. I would drive both if I were you/him.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLA45 vs. C63 (W204)