New user and interested in A220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
Lightbulb New user and interested in A220

Hey all, first-time poster here and am looking into purchasing a new A220. I'm looking for some guidance from those that have already ventured down the path that I may take and all of your help will be greatly appreciated.

1st. What is the typical pricing you guys are getting? I know it varies from region to region. I am in the south Texas area and am looking at this vehicle exactly - https://www.mbboerne.com/inventory/n...3g4eb9kw002927 - Should I suspect some sort of dealer discount or is it pretty common to buy these at MSRP value? Sorry for the newb question, but I am new to the MB products. I have never bought a vehicle at MSRP before.

2nd. Are there any good rebates/incentives for MB vehicles (Specifically the A220) I am active duty and will receive $500 off and perhaps a USAA rebate, but is there anything else I can help negotiate the price down?

3rd. Are there any features you wish you would have gotten or wished you skipped on? I'm a huge techie so the MBUX is what has attracted me to the MB realm. This would be a daily driver, however from this vehicle specifically... I would go without the SiriusXM radio and put that into the heated/cooled seats. This leads me into #4

4th. How willing are Mercedes dealers to work with options that may or may not come with the vehicle on the lot? For example, the car I linked above does not have heated/cooled seats. I assume trying to add cooled seats would require replacing them and thus, probably not worth the time/effort.'

5th. On MBUX - How is the web-browser. This may be a silly question, but is it possible for Netflix/Youtube videos to play? This isn't a deal breaker, but curiosity.

6th. With wireless charging/NFC - I've read that the A220 can support wireless carplay, is this accurate? Is this here yet? This will highly motivate me to move to this segment if it works.

Anything else I should know before pursuing further? Do you feel this vehicle is worth the price tag they want? I used to always stick with Mazdas and if you peeked at the new Mazda3's, a fully loaded at $28K probably has more upscale interior, just as much room, and more tech, but without the MBUX infotainment. So I'm looking at other options. I'm at the age where I can afford an MB, but I do have to swallow the practicality pill too .

Thanks for your input. If I get solid feedback today, I may purchase tomorrow!

Last edited by Deriggs007; 05-26-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
1. I've heard people getting discounts of $1,000 to $4,000, you never buy a car at MSRP regardless of the model. At minimum I'd go for at least $2,000 off, and shop around, I went to six dealers, in no time at all I had a hefty discount.
2. I think if you're a member of the Mercedes club you get a discount but it has to be for 6-12 months or so before you can use it, you get sometimes get a discount from your employer.
3. I got all the features I really wanted (premium sound system was not a must have) and didn't bother with the HUD (Heads up Display, it's annoying) or a lot of the driver assistance features (why bother driving car if it does too much for you, my thought..).
4. I asked six dealers, couldn't change a single feature, not even the seat material. If you shop online you can get complete breakdowns of each vehicle and usually get pretty close to your must have package. I did a factory order but after about 4 months gave up as it seemed nowhere close to being ready and cars sitting out on factory lots start to have issues.
5. Haven't tried browsing the web but with Apple Play it grabs content from your phone so I'd imagine no issue accessing video, but is LTE fast enough to stream? Usually yes.
6. Yes, mine has the wireless charging, however it only works with phones that support it (more recent models), otherwise you have to use a workaround.

I was a practical car buyer all my life, the usual Toyota Camry person. I also had a Mazda. Well, driving the A220 was a completely different experience, twice as fun, felt far more luxurious even that a decked out Japanese car (at that price level) and the MBUX is great. I guess the main selling points of the car for me was:

1. Handling and driving experience. Much tighter than a Japanese car, also great turning radius. I also like the throaty engine sound in sport mode.
2. Gorgeous interior, especially if you get leather, I've seen cars that cost $20,000 more and they don't compare in my opinion.
3. The "cockpit". I have never been in a car where all the controls are so easy to reach, the seating is amazing (no back pain like I used to get in the Camry) and you feel like a fighter pilot with the interior ambient lights and controls, pretty cool. I'm an older person and hard to excite, well, this car did it for me.
4. Quality of build. They really put some work into it, compared to a 5 year old C class this is way better, doors are solid, engine is responsive and cabin pretty quiet.

I looked at the Mazda 3 cabin, it's nice but I think the A220 beats it by a good margin and my passengers have all commented (many didn't realize the price point of the car).

Not sure what options you're looking for, I got the AMG night line, Premium and Multi-Media packages. Heads up display not worth it, people who use it get annoyed after a while.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:04 PM

A220
Originally Posted by Kenyon1976
1. I've heard people getting discounts of $1,000 to $4,000, you never buy a car at MSRP regardless of the model. At minimum I'd go for at least $2,000 off, and shop around, I went to six dealers, in no time at all I had a hefty discount.
2. I think if you're a member of the Mercedes club you get a discount but it has to be for 6-12 months or so before you can use it, you get sometimes get a discount from your employer.
3. I got all the features I really wanted (premium sound system was not a must have) and didn't bother with the HUD (Heads up Display, it's annoying) or a lot of the driver assistance features (why bother driving car if it does too much for you, my thought..).
4. I asked six dealers, couldn't change a single feature, not even the seat material. If you shop online you can get complete breakdowns of each vehicle and usually get pretty close to your must have package. I did a factory order but after about 4 months gave up as it seemed nowhere close to being ready and cars sitting out on factory lots start to have issues.
5. Haven't tried browsing the web but with Apple Play it grabs content from your phone so I'd imagine no issue accessing video, but is LTE fast enough to stream? Usually yes.
6. Yes, mine has the wireless charging, however it only works with phones that support it (more recent models), otherwise you have to use a workaround.

I was a practical car buyer all my life, the usual Toyota Camry person. I also had a Mazda. Well, driving the A220 was a completely different experience, twice as fun, felt far more luxurious even that a decked out Japanese car (at that price level) and the MBUX is great. I guess the main selling points of the car for me was:

1. Handling and driving experience. Much tighter than a Japanese car, also great turning radius. I also like the throaty engine sound in sport mode.
2. Gorgeous interior, especially if you get leather, I've seen cars that cost $20,000 more and they don't compare in my opinion.
3. The "cockpit". I have never been in a car where all the controls are so easy to reach, the seating is amazing (no back pain like I used to get in the Camry) and you feel like a fighter pilot with the interior ambient lights and controls, pretty cool. I'm an older person and hard to excite, well, this car did it for me.
4. Quality of build. They really put some work into it, compared to a 5 year old C class this is way better, doors are solid, engine is responsive and cabin pretty quiet.

I looked at the Mazda 3 cabin, it's nice but I think the A220 beats it by a good margin and my passengers have all commented (many didn't realize the price point of the car).

Not sure what options you're looking for, I got the AMG night line, Premium and Multi-Media packages. Heads up display not worth it, people who use it get annoyed after a while.
Thanks for your input.

On #6, what about wireless CarPlay? In 2018 they mentioned it was supposed to be supported hence the (NFC communication) does your A220 have it? Or are you plugging it in? I agree completely on trying to find everything I want. I'm not terribly picky. The thing is, I currently have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie that is pretty decked out. Honestly, this will be a much lesser vehicle except for the infotainment aspects, it has all the bells and whistles, leather interior etc.

I can't find exactly what I want on the lots as it's either base model or decked out. Hard ti find one with just a select few options in my area, and yes.. I don't want to wait for half a year before my vehicle is done, doesn't make sense... a month, maybe 2?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2022 C300 4Matic
No wireless CarPlay. And the wired CarPlay is more trouble than it's worth. You connect a USBC to USB adapter and then to a lightning cable. And then your phone will probably not fit on the wireless charger when it's hooked up. The display is low quality and made to fit a smaller display and looks bad on the 10.5'" display. I don't use it at all. If an update comes out to make it wireless I may use it. But for now I stream everything wirelessly over the Bluetooth connection. Sirius, Pandora, Amazon music, tunein radio etc. all work perfectly over Bluetooth. I wasn't waiting 6 months for anything. Bought it off the lot.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
I paid 36k for MSRP of $40,470. This was last Sunday in the Seattle area. The car was on display in the dealership so they were already offering it for around 3k off.

I wrote up my first impressions here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/class-w16...-new-a220.html

I was eligible for $500 off via the Mercedes Fleet program however they said it was "$500 off or the deal they were offering" so it made no sense to go that route. They claimed the discount couldn't be stacked.

I used to live in Texas. If I was still there, I'd have probably ordered a car with ventilated seating. None of the dealers in this area order cars with that option (would have to custom order here.)

The MBUX was a major selling point for me, too. I've been very impressed with it so far.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:59 PM

Buying One
Have you tried to use the MBUX to increase airflow? Haven't figured out the nomenclature for that yet.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 PM

A220
Thanks for your input, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

MSRP of $39945, I went the easy route and used USAA member route and got $1450 off, didn't really haggle much, experience was quick and easy, impressed with the transaction. I only added the MB Maintenance package for $1200. The reason I did that was that it is an upfront cost and I don't have to worry about the maintenance anymore for at least 4 years. This is my first German car and I know maintenance can get expensive or so I heard. There is no upselling of products, nothing. Cracked lines, worn out shocks, whatever, replaced.

I wish I could add the heated/cooled seats and the drivers assistance package personally. Just because my truck has it and it's pretty useful in stop/go traffic, like today it took 2 hours of commute time in stop/go traffic and I was really missing it.

MBUX is amazing and the ambient lighting is to die for at night time on such a cheap car. Overall, I'm a pretty happy camper. I picked up the vehicle I literally linked at the top.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:51 PM

A220
Congrats.

My 4 year maintenance was almost $1600. Maybe German parts are cheaper in Texas. I asked the finance guy if $400 per visit is a deal then what would it normally cost? He didn't give me a complete answer; just commented that the wiper blades alone go for around $120 (replaced once per year). We all agreed those are some pricey wiper blades.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:08 AM

Buying One
Interesting comments, having a Mercedes is almost like budgeting for a house, replace wiper blades every year?? On my Camry I only did it once in 7 years, they worked fine, hmm, wonder if that is just something dealers do.

Deriggs what configuration did you get? Yeah the ambient lighting is perfect, very subdued during the day (really not visible) and elegantly understated at night.

I'm learning all the voice commands from the manual (way more that you can do then I realized) and for internet commands I am setting up WIFI. Took some people out yesterday and when they saw what MBUX did they said "waaa??". I've owned a lot of vehicles in the past 45 years, mostly moderately priced American and Japanese cars, one upscale Volvo and now this. This car is so far ahead of anything I have ever experienced and so well designed, I almost feel like it was bespoke. My first commute was an absolute delight, even though it is nearly an hour the time seemed to go by much quicker (maybe that wear off lol).

Going to read the manual cover to cover this weekend, there is a lot to learn. Set up Mercedes Me App which works great though I think it is saying I'm due for service which doesn't make sense (only have 200 miles on the car).
Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 AM

A220
Interesting comments, having a Mercedes is almost like budgeting for a house, replace wiper blades every year?? On my Camry I only did it once in 7 years, they worked fine, hmm, wonder if that is just something dealers do.

Deriggs what configuration did you get? Yeah the ambient lighting is perfect, very subdued during the day (really not visible) and elegantly understated at night.

I'm learning all the voice commands from the manual (way more than you can do then I realized) and for internet commands I am setting up WIFI. Took some people out yesterday and when they saw what MBUX did they said "waaa??". I've owned a lot of vehicles in the past 45 years, mostly moderately priced American and Japanese cars, one upscale Volvo and now this. This car is so far ahead of anything I have ever experienced and so well designed, I almost feel like it was bespoke. My first commute was an absolute delight, even though it is nearly an hour the time seemed to go by much quicker (maybe that wear off lol).

Going to read the manual cover to cover this weekend, there is a lot to learn. Set up Mercedes Me App which works great though I think it is saying I'm due for service which doesn't make sense (only have 200 miles on the car).
The configuration is in the original link. That's the vehicle I purchased. Overall, this vehicle is still less than the 19 Ram 1500 Laramie and even the interior isn't as upscale as that truck. However, the elegance factor (even if it's of lesser quality) really makes up for it, along with the infotainment and ambient lighting.

The truck had much better sound, much better ride quality, about 10x more room, more tech, more premium interior, but you can't really put a price on elegance.

I literally navigated everywhere today with MBUX using voice control only. I'm a big techy, my whole house is smart home'd out where I already have routines set for about everything, I hardly use light switches in anywhere but the bathrooms lol.

@Roger8 I negotiated a little on that, he told me the first year is about $400, the 2nd year is about $800 in maintenance. They may have thrown me a wrench and made up some money back after I purchased it, they probably also got me on the financing part, until tomorrow when I refinance for about half the APR though haha. Overall though, this car is a very fun/responsive little thing in comparison to my other vehicles. I still have to say that if I wasn't attracted to MBUX and the ambient lighting, I would have saved $20,000 and got a Mazda3 hatchback fully loaded. I'm not biased towards any one vehicle but in this segment, I say give Mazda 3-4 years or maybe 1-2 design iterations and it's going to be luxury. It had much more premium interior and the drive was probably quieter and smoother than this MB.

The main issue is while they are like "8 buttons only, no more, must focus on road!!!!" method, MBUX is like let's throw everything at you instead and let you have fun with it, and I like that more. There's just some things that it should have that EVERY company offers (Wireless charging, panoramic sunroof etc) which keeps it out of the segment, but other than that, it's great.

Anyways, suppoesdly there's a place where I can get the heated/cooled seats added, not sure if they can do it to MB's or not, but one of the dealer reps I worked with on another vehicle told me that they can. I got to check it out, may not be worth the money nor effort.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:31 AM

A220
Also, one other thing I am being picky about. I have an iPhone and I cannot send text messages out, only read them... really annoying, works fine in about 6 other cars over the past few years.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:16 AM

2022 C300 4Matic
Texting while driving? Never tried it but am surprised it doesn't work with CarPlay. Have many accidents?
Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 AM

A220
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek
Texting while driving? Never tried it but am surprised it doesn't work with CarPlay. Have many accidents?
CarPlay it probably works, but telling Mercedes to send a text message does not work with iPhone, does on android I think.

I didn’t buy a car with the awesome infotainment to be taken back to using a full CarPlay that isn’t optimized for it.

No accidents, ever in my life.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:24 AM

2022 C300 4Matic
I'll have to agree that CarPlay isn't really needed for the best experience. The wireless bluetooth connection give me everything I need.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 AM

A220
Yeah, texting via Android works. I like how I can dictate my response. It seems to catch what I'm trying to say fairly well.

One annoyance is when I ask it to read back messages. By default, it starts reading the historical messages (from oldest to newest). I can make it select a specific message but I haven't figured out the precise phrasing to make it simple (it takes a few steps).
Old 05-29-2019, 01:24 PM

2019 A220 4MATIC
For future reference, before talking to the finance person (who is really just another sales person), walk over to the service department and ask how much they charge for an A service and a B service. Maybe with a brand new model like the A-Class, they won't have exact numbers yet, but you should be able to get an idea to see if the Mercedes 2 year/3 year/4 year maintenance plans are worth it.

FYI, I found CLA250 OEM wiper blades for around $50 on Amazon and aftermarket wiper blades are under $30

When I had a smart that I leased from the same MB dealer I'm buying my A220 from, I took it there for service. They charge about $100 in labor to replace the cabin air filter, which I found out how to do myself via a forum. It took all of 5 minutes to replace. Hopefully we'll be able to find similar maintenance procedures we can perform ourselves for the A-Class.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:31 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
I asked the finance person the cost of service. A service - $400, B-service $600. I'm sure location will affect that. Since service is once a year you do the math. I didn't pay for the service plan. I did buy the tire and rim protection. I live in the Northeast with nothing but potholes. I've already had them repair a scraped rim. That was covered. My previous car, (BMW) had more that a dozen flat tires (Low profile tires) all covered by insurance.

Last edited by Givmeabrek; 05-29-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM

A220
Yeah, I usually do not buy any packages/extended warranty/maintenance plans etc. I just know the German cars can be expensive if you decide to take it there and not fix it yourself. I used to be a gear head. Nowadays, I rather pay someone to work on this than I do it. Just how I've changed over the years. That said, I figured adding about $25 a month to my payment to be worry free with maintenance for 4 years was something I rather do. You guys are right, I may not even need to replace the windshield wipers, may not need to do anything but normal maintenance, but I rather take the risk on 'up charges'. That's really what eased my mind. Dealerships for maintenance work really try to oversell or upsell things from my experiences.

I just take it in, get a nice loaner, get the vehicle washed and so on and the work gets done regardless of the damage it's getting. I thought about the tire/rim warranty, but I've had 1 flat in 6 years and I haven't hit a curb in I don't know how long lol.

I don't have buyers remorse yet as I really do love this thing. I really wish I sunk a little more money into some features, but couldn't justify the price tag for such a small car as a daily driver. I'm in the south Texas area and I'm REALLY going to miss the cooled seats most definitely...
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM

Buying One
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
Also, one other thing I am being picky about. I have an iPhone and I cannot send text messages out, only read them... really annoying, works fine in about 6 other cars over the past few years.
Interesting, you’re a techie and I believe you but will still check, that doesn’t sound right.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:08 PM

A220
Interesting, you’re a techie and I believe you but will still check, that doesn’t sound right.
I can't through Mercedes, haven't tried just through normal bluetooth/Siri if it populates in Mercedes over BT.

Also, when I picked the vehicle up from dealer, the application guy accidentally put a pen mark on the seat, for the life of me, I cannot get it out at all. I've tried hair spray, rubbing alcohol, the recommended method, the leather cleaner that seems to be recommended for all MB-Tex seats, I've tried a harder method, magic eraser. It's still slightly there....

Recommendations?
Old 05-29-2019, 10:35 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
No idea how it would be possible to text directly through the car interface without connecting to a phone. The car would have to have a data plan and a phone number. It really seems pretty pointless considering you have a phone with you and don't want to connect the phone? Sounds like I am misunderstanding...
Old 05-29-2019, 10:51 PM

A220
No idea how it would be possible to text directly through the car interface without connecting to a phone. The car would have to have a data plan and a phone number. It really seems pretty pointless considering you have a phone with you and don't want to connect the phone? Sounds like I am misunderstanding...
Yes. Misunderstanding. The phone is connected to the car. So in most vehicles, you can just click a button on the steering wheel and get Siri to pop up and send a text message using somethinf like

“ Send a text messsge to my wife saying I love you”
Pretty much every Car will do that.

This vehicle prides itself on using natural language like Siri to do the same thing over MBUX instead.

Without carplay, the vehicle can read our messages, it can show you them. But 2 issues with just apple

1. It does not store messages. So I have no idea what message I received back to back.
2. You cannot send off messages through Mercedes when it’s connected to your car.

When I ask Mercedes to send a text message she says “Your phone does not support the sending of messages”

This implies that it can, just not on iPhone. This is either an apple iOS issue or a MBUX issue. Supposedly sending text works on android.

Mercedes cloud servers arent sending the text, your phone is but the system is doing it on your behalf as you drive. Does that make sense?

I do not see a way to send a text by calling up Siri over Bluetooth as it pulls up Mercedes instead.

Thats the caveat here.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 PM

2022 C300 4Matic
Ok, so you are using a Bluetooth connection. I haven't tried it but assume it wants to to use the CarPlay interface (wired). Looking forward to an updated wireless CarPlay. Let's hope it comes soon...
Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 AM

A220
Ok, so you are using a Bluetooth connection. I haven't tried it but assume it wants to to use the CarPlay interface (wired). Looking forward to an updated wireless CarPlay. Let's hope it comes soon...
Correct. CarPlay works fine, but no point to using it as I prefer MBUX. While having wireless CarPlay is nice, it’s not necessary for me except for texts

really wish they would fix that piece...