A-Class (W168, W169) A140, A160, A160 CDI, A170 CDI, A190, A210 Evo, A180

A-Class Spy Shots? You tell me...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Audi TT
A-Class Spy Shots? You tell me...

I took these on Mt. Evans, near Denver, Colorado. It is a popular spot for high altitiude testing. I took the shots about the middle of July. They looked like A-Class cars to me, but I wasn't sure. I am sure they are Mercedes as there was a German guy in an S-Class taking telemetry. I asked him about the testing and said they were heading to Death Valley the next day.

Old 01-03-2004, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
So do you think they will bring it here?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:47 AM

2000 Audi TT
I read in Motor Trend that MB is considering a hybrid version for the US market.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Almost a Member!

you muppet! copyright and sell the images...
Old 01-06-2004, 03:26 PM

2000 Audi TT
I told AutoWeek about them right after I took the shots. They didn't seem to care. I tooks some shots of the Bentley Continental R about a week later. The Bentley is old new now, but these were taken in July.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
CST, perhaps? A-class plans are supposed to be dead for US.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
The top two are the A-Class, not a CST or anything else...

Just because they're testing them in the US doesn't mean that MB intends to sell them here. That's why you'll see a number of Europe-only cars being tested in the western US...
Old 03-17-2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by mbakshi
The top two are the A-Class, not a CST or anything else...

Just because they're testing them in the US doesn't mean that MB intends to sell them here. That's why you'll see a number of Europe-only cars being tested in the western US...
dunno about america, but the head of canada insist they will try their best to bring A class here, soooooooooo grad to hear that, he repeat and repeatly claims the A class will be here with Canada spec bumpers, with confidence, he said that in a interview when they introduce the SMART in canada.

so we don't need to buy VW anymore for cheap german car. Smart is just too small for North America driving...
that's just a toy to me...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:17 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally posted by carl
dunno about america, but the head of canada insist they will try their best to bring A class here, soooooooooo grad to hear that, he repeat and repeatly claims the A class will be here with Canada spec bumpers, with confidence, he said that in a interview when they introduce the SMART in canada.

I hope they try to bring the A-Class to the US, either as MB or badged as Dodge/Chrysler.

And I'm *still* hoping for the smart...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by Incendiary

I hope they try to bring the A-Class to the US, either as MB or badged as Dodge/Chrysler.

And I'm *still* hoping for the smart...
no... don't thnk they will have any car with A class planform

just forget the smart, it's just way too small to drive out...
especially in america, where people thinks bigger is better... u don't want to hit with american cars in the smart...
smart looks bigger in the picture though
but it is extremely small until i see it in real person ... no safe feel at all when i sit inside hehe
for your safety reason
Old 03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
The A-Class is basically confirmed in that it will not come here. A-Class derivatives, however, likely will, such as the CST (Compact Sports Tourer), which will perhaps be named the B-Class and is an A-Class-based small wagon, similar in idea to the GST (R-Class), just a lot smaller. The CST, which will also likely get a 4Matic option, will be coming here in a few years' time.

I doubt DC will bring the Smart City Coupe (now called the Fortwo) to the US. However, the Smart Roadster may...as a Dodge or something similar.

It is confirmed, however, that Smart will bring an SUV styled like the Forfour to the US in 2006. This will be called Formore. Smart has released an official sketch of it:

Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 AM

2014 E350S4
Originally posted by mbakshi
I doubt DC will bring the Smart City Coupe (now called the Fortwo) to the US. However, the Smart Roadster may...as a Dodge or something similar.
Dodge? Why Dodge? I thought Dodge was supposed to be the muscular, sporty, manly division. Wouldn't something so small be contrary to the testosterone image they're trying to foster? Or maybe it fits because it's a roadster?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally posted by Incendiary
Dodge? Why Dodge? I thought Dodge was supposed to be the muscular, sporty, manly division. Wouldn't something so small be contrary to the testosterone image they're trying to foster? Or maybe it fits because it's a roadster?
Well, DC's new plan is that Chrysler will be the luxury brand - promising refinement, and "sophisticated" performance (meaning European performance car-like).

Dodge is meant to be rough and tough (its trucks), but also giving high performance, especially aimed at younger buyers (than Chrysler).

So while the new Ram, Dakota, and Durango serve the rugged image, the Viper and Neon SRT-4 are for the second aspect. However, the Viper is an expensive low-volume sports car, and the Neon SRT-4 is a beefed-up low-end sedan, so a few things are missing along the way. The new Magnum wagon ("sports tourer"), with the optional HEMI V8, fills a gap somewhere in between, but Dodge still doesn't have a relatively cheap two-door (the Stratus is a bit more expensive and is part of the old-generation Dodge strategy).

The Smart Roadster fills this gap. At this year's Detroit Auto Show, DC showed the Dodge Slingshot concept car. It is essentially a re-styled Smart Roadster in Dodge form. Here are a few photos of it:

This is what the Smart Roadster looks like:

Old 03-19-2004, 12:16 AM

nice...

i like the idea chrylser/dodge using benz stuff
that's mean i can get a benz at a very good price.

i love that crossfire very much...
1st american car that i like, and the only one i admire.
and i think it's nicer than SLK lol.
i am hardcore german car fans, strictly strictyl mercedes fan... if i. such conservative men can give a shot to the chrylser/dodge, that's mean they are on the way to rule the american manufactuers.

that Dodge concept car is way nicer than Smart to me too hehe.
man... who will buy MB next coming years....
i think only boss will drive a mb for next decade.