A-Class (W168, W169) A140, A160, A160 CDI, A170 CDI, A190, A210 Evo, A180

W169 CVT Gearbox issues - valve body, torque converter or belts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 A150 Auto CVT
Exclamation W169 CVT Gearbox issues - valve body, torque converter or belts?

Hi all,
Hoping to draw on your expertise. My mother owns a 2005 A150 with a CVT gearbox. On a journey down from Edinburgh the gearbox started playing up. It felt like the clutch was slipping on hills as I could hear the engine/gearbox note rise but the car would begin to slow. There was no rise in the revs indicated on the rev-counter, however. I tried manual mode to hold the car in appropriate gears but 7th started slipping badly, then 6th, and finally 5th as we made it into London. After cooling a while, the car pootled around London happily in auto-mode.

I'm not very familiar with CVT gearboxes. Can anyone shed any light on what the fault might be? I've read that valve bodies and torque converters regularly give trouble on this gearbox, but that slipping belts are also a possible cause? My mother in uncertain if she has taken it in for any routine maintenance on the gearbox and cannot find the relevant paperwork.

Any insight into likely repair costs (and whether it is worth it on a 15 year old 60k car) would also be gratefully received.

Thanks!