A-Class (W177) (V177) 2018 to present

What to expect with my new A220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A220 AMG-line
What to expect with my new A220

Made the change from BMW 3 series to MBZ A series over the weekend. Anyone else enjoying the new A220? Did I make the right choice?
Old 09-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buying One
I can't speak for the particular model of BMW you cite having only driven a 118i just recently.

Based on design, layout, handling, steering etc. my A220 is leagues above the BMW that I drove. Accepting the fact that it's a much lower tier model I don't know if I can extrapolate to the 3 series however if BMW kept some of the same principles I think the A220 is a much better vehicle.

The A220 is pretty much perfection for my needs and it's the first car I've ever been passionate about, reasons (and obviously my opinion)?:

- Cockpit layout is incredible, it's extremely intuitive (unlike BMW), everything is within reach. In short, it makes you relaxed and very much at home.
- Display gauges (I have the larger ones) are fantastic, graphics are very sharp, excellent response time and very legible even for someone like me who needs reading glasses.
- Seats. Never been so comfortable, a six hour trip feels like 30 minutes in my Camry.
- Vision, inclement weather. The automatic wipers take a little getting used to but overall I've found my confidence level driving on congested highways at speed (60-80 mph) in heavy rain at night to be very high. Basically I feel in command of the road, traffic and weather.
- Interior Design. Superb quality with a few exceptions, the piano black, the A/C buttons, the middle pillar panels. The rest is excellent, doors close with authority.
- Exterior Design. It's like Bauhaus exquisitely combined with passion/energy, and it's the most aerodynamic car in production today.
- Mileage - This was the most unexpected for me. I can easily get 40-44 mpg on the highway, city/suburbs 26 mpg without trying, 30 mpg if I pull out all the stops. Note: The car is so slippery that at times it just seems to glide through the air.
- Navigation, electronics, MBUX.. Perfectly happy with it, you need a few months to really know the system well and you should update the maps immediately after vehicle purchase, I did it on home PC to USB stick (which must be empty), about 18 gb which if I remember correctly took about 20 minutes to load into the car.

No car is perfect, there probably is no such thing however this one goes way beyond anything I've ever owned before (Camry, Volvo, etc.). Build issues are obviously higher in German cars, I have/had two which are pretty minor considering what I've read on this forum:

- Rattling. Fixed by dealership. Happened again in another area (believe it was B? center plastic pillar inside), I tapped it with a rubber mallet and it mysteriously went away.
- Rubber lining around doors. From my understanding these are attached by pressure but the A220 ones appear to have some kind of glue? Well, it's not perfect and by the third month was peeling away (not significantly) in several spots on driver side door.

Washing, waxing and interior treatments I do every 3 months and it's a delight on this small car. I'm by no means an experienced detailer however I have found that Renaissance Wax is an excellent product for protecting the piano black components. It's the only wax approved by the British Museum and 4 months into owning the car, NO scratches.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A220 AMG-line
Thanks for the info. I miss some things with the 2016 320i such as the easy access to switch to the next radio preset on the steering wheel...and being able too see the radio presets on my instrument panel as I scroll in the steering wheel. I’m sure the A220 has the feature too but it takes multiple swipes to do the same thing. It’s a matter of retraining myself and reconditioning to a new vehicle.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA
Originally Posted by Stan_MBZ
Made the change from BMW 3 series to MBZ A series over the weekend. Anyone else enjoying the new A220? Did I make the right choice?

you have made a right choose for 100000% sure. the quality all around in A class is better than BMW 3 and Audi A4, look that screen on A class, that resolution!!!!! with BMUX. and you turn to the BMW dealer, look at those lower resolution screen on bmw with all around plastic feeling, and that sky high price tag?? i know that bmw 3 can go 0-60 in 5 sec?, but who care that 0-60.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts
2012 P31 C63