A-Class (W177) (V177) 2018 to present

Slight Plastic Sounding Overhead Rattle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Various
Slight Plastic Sounding Overhead Rattle?

2021 A220 4Matic, rattle started intermittently probably around 6-8k miles, now just shy of 10k miles and it seems like it's every time I drive the car (wife's car, I don't drive it much). Car sits in a 60 degree heated garage so pretty normal temps, not super cold or anything. It was doing it in the summer too when it was hot, so not temp dependent.

There's a rattle that has a cheap plastic sound to it, but is not overly loud, but definitely can be heard - kind of like the sound you'd hear from plastic sunglasses bouncing around in a car's overhead sunglasses holder, but slightly more tinny/higher pitched. I swear it's coming from somewhere overhead, but now I'm wondering if it's something in one of the front seats. There's nothing in the glovebox, etc. that could be rattling around, and I've pressed my hand all over against the overhead console and on the headliner around the sunroof to see if I can locate/stop it and I can't.

Wife doesn't really care or notice, so definitely not worth bringing the car in to tear the interior apart and have it carelessly slopped back together with no rattle found but new rattles initiated, been there done that - if it's not horrid and she doesn't care, I'm not going to take it in...but it drives me nuts every time I'm in the car, so I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what it was found to be? Car is great otherwise but this completely taints it every time I'm in it to the point I personally would sell the car...but again, not my car.