A-Class (W177) (V177) 2018 to present

2 concerns on a new A220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A220 AMG-line
2 concerns on a new A220

My A220 is now at 1500 miles after 5 weeks. I had a few episodes where the car kicked really hard as I took off from a complete stop. It occurred about once a week and I can’t reproduce it at will. Has anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering if I accelaerated too hard and need to get used to accelerating slowly with the 7 spd tranny. Haven’t felt it in the past week. Perhaps, the tranny takes time to break in?

The other concern is the sound of the engine. I turned off the ac and fan, but noticed that I can hear the engine at a stop light. Windows are closed completely. Is this normal? I expected a new Mercedes to be more quiet. I had a 2016 bmw 320i with 30k miles and was not able to hear the engine at a stop light from the inside.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML350 4M
Originally Posted by Stan_MBZ
My A220 is now at 1500 miles after 5 weeks. I had a few episodes where the car kicked really hard as I took off from a complete stop. It occurred about once a week and I can’t reproduce it at will. Has anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering if I accelaerated too hard and need to get used to accelerating slowly with the 7 spd tranny. Haven’t felt it in the past week. Perhaps, the tranny takes time to break in?

The other concern is the sound of the engine. I turned off the ac and fan, but noticed that I can hear the engine at a stop light. Windows are closed completely. Is this normal? I expected a new Mercedes to be more quiet. I had a 2016 bmw 320i with 30k miles and was not able to hear the engine at a stop light from the inside.
Were you in Sport mode (and D) at the stop light? A220 emits fake engine/exhaust sound through speakers when driving in Sport mode, but I am not sure it also do that while standing still or not.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:28 PM

None yet

As a matter of fact, this same thing happened to me during an extended test drive this week. I wondered whether somebody bumped the car from behind. Do you have the 2019? That's what I test drove. I would be getting a 2020 if I pull the trigger on this.

The car drove fine for he most part, but now that you mention this, now I remember again this happening to me. I too would be moving over from BMW (2013 328xi) if I purchase this car. I'd hate to think the drive is a big step down, even if the cabin tech is a big step up.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GLA

for that "kicked", can you record a video? so that other can better understand ? i got A250, 7 speed, Canada ver, for the first 2-3 week, when i slowdown to 3->2 gear, i can feel some soft of "kicked" but not too hard, and now i still have only 2000km on it, the downshift is getting smoother and i almost not feel anything, i'm in comfort mode.

for engine sound, could you please record a video?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Sounds like a cold weather rough shift. Prob goes away after 5 min of driving.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:11 PM

GLA
Originally Posted by GreekUPS
Sounds like a cold weather rough shift. Prob goes away after 5 min of driving.
that sound only happen when you drive? or after your cold start at park?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 A250 4Matic
I have had this happen to me occasionally. It seems to happen if you start off with relatively little throttle and add some just as it wants to shift to 2nd. I find if I use moderate or higher throttle to start off, then it is fine.

I once had a DSG Ford Focus, and it was so bad there was a class action suit.

From car reviews, this is common in most DSG systems, including Audi, BMW etc.

A DSG transmission is not a traditional auto with a torque converter. It is really an automated manual using automated clutches.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:33 AM

GLA
Originally Posted by jastleymb
I have had this happen to me occasionally. It seems to happen if you start off with relatively little throttle and add some just as it wants to shift to 2nd. I find if I use moderate or higher throttle to start off, then it is fine.

A DSG transmission is not a traditional auto with a torque converter. It is really an automated manual using automated clutches.
mine currently at 2500km, the DSG now is very smooth, from 100-1500km, i always drive very light on throttle, and i did feel a bit tight on gear, both up shift and downshift for the gear 1-3, now it's better, very smooth now
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
This happens to me a bit more than frequently at 10K miles. It started after I did a road trip moving from Texas to California (1800 miles). When I'm at a stop, especially when the auto start/stop is on, when I take my foot off the break and push on gas on the green, it will sometimes jerk. sometimes it won't really do anything and then boom.

I'm not happy with my car at all. I'm tired of even bringing it into the shop and have been dealing with the lack luster performance. When I take it to be serviced in roughly 300 miles, I'll be giving them a sheet of paper to address. I will refuse to take the car back until it's all 100% fixed.

Thermostat issues - It's like it's on Auto when it's not. Car will warm up/cool off regardless of what setting (could have it on MAX heat and on a 7 on the middle option and it'll blow on floor or windshield instead for example)
Throttle response - just noted above. After the drive, this performance has been **** poor. Prius's take off faster on a green light than I can or I will jerk the car horrendously. Driving in sport mode helps, driving on highway is fine.... but coming off of stop/go traffic is the worst car I have driven in 20+ years.
Some fit/finish issues - Still have some squeaky panels with the slightest of touches.

So yeah..... if I could get a huge deal on the car, I'd pick up the new CLA as I find it sportier anyways.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 AM

GLA
Originally Posted by Deriggs007
This happens to me a bit more than frequently at 10K miles. It started after I did a road trip moving from Texas to California (1800 miles). When I'm at a stop, especially when the auto start/stop is on, when I take my foot off the break and push on gas on the green, it will sometimes jerk. sometimes it won't really do anything and then boom.

I'm not happy with my car at all. I'm tired of even bringing it into the shop and have been dealing with the lack luster performance. When I take it to be serviced in roughly 300 miles, I'll be giving them a sheet of paper to address. I will refuse to take the car back until it's all 100% fixed.

Thermostat issues - It's like it's on Auto when it's not. Car will warm up/cool off regardless of what setting (could have it on MAX heat and on a 7 on the middle option and it'll blow on floor or windshield instead for example)
Throttle response - just noted above. After the drive, this performance has been **** poor. Prius's take off faster on a green light than I can or I will jerk the car horrendously. Driving in sport mode helps, driving on highway is fine.... but coming off of stop/go traffic is the worst car I have driven in 20+ years.
Some fit/finish issues - Still have some squeaky panels with the slightest of touches.

So yeah..... if I could get a huge deal on the car, I'd pick up the new CLA as I find it sportier anyways.
i don't know how you were brake in your car, for me, that Auto On/Off, i always turned off before i drive. Problematic function will destroy your battery and spark plug, and resulting you to come back to dealer to replace them early. by the way, auto turn off engine, will stop engine oil and coolant to flow inside your engine and turbo, let them suffer the hot. as far as i know our A class dose not have electronic water pump if i'm correct. so auto engine on and off is a real killer for your car. This car use a lot of batter power, remember you might need to charge your batter when at home.

Thermostat issues, the A220m made in Mexico, no offence to Mexico, but i do see three guys on MB forum has thermostat issues.

Throttle response <- yes, on A220, but you save on fuel.

if you want to have something more power, new CLA is the way to go. it has the same engine as A250, but if you want to spend your CASH to buy it, make sure the car is made in Germany. and do your maintenance on battery and engine oil and turn off that Auto On/Off,

those my little advance, hope can help
Old 11-19-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
A220
It’s not related to the auto on/off its **** poor off the line regardless.

also just now on my way back from work, the sunshade and sunroof would not open....

im done, I’m getting rid of this garbage Benz 🤬
Old 11-19-2019, 09:38 PM

GLA

also just now on my way back from work, the sunshade and sunroof would not open....

sorry to hear that...
Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 986 Likes on 722 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic

Thanks for posting your experiences.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:42 AM

A220
Originally Posted by jastleymb

HAHA! The reason I bought my A220 was because of the focus transmission issue... they screwed me out of the warranty because my build date was a week off from the bulletin, despite my car having the transmission replaced twice before 50k miles. I had to pay $3500 for the last repair and drove straight to MB when I picked it up after the repair. I did end up getting my money back several months later when they extended the warranty to my focus, but it was already traded in. I will never buy another ford again!
Old 01-28-2020, 11:04 AM

GLA
Originally Posted by Thomas Soraci
HAHA! The reason I bought my A220 was because of the focus transmission issue... they screwed me out of the warranty because my build date was a week off from the bulletin, despite my car having the transmission replaced twice before 50k miles. I had to pay $3500 for the last repair and drove straight to MB when I picked it up after the repair. I did end up getting my money back several months later when they extended the warranty to my focus, but it was already traded in. I will never buy another ford again!
welcome to MB, but you also have to know MB can have some issue, for transmission, looks like MB is fine, but other parts, you might experience problem
Old 10-23-2021, 01:32 PM

A220 AMG-line
Update with my 2019 A220 AMG line. Still happening… my problem is extremely frustrating. Started 1 month after picking up the car from the dealer in 2019. Car stalls after accelerating from s complete stop. It only happens if I time the acceleration right…not too fast or slow. I now just wait 1 to 2 seconds before accelerating…since the dealer can’t find the cause after 5 times in the shop. 10 months left in my 2019 lease so I am riding it out. Tried contacting the sales Mgr but never responded to my voice mail. Contacted Mercedes’ headquarters and the buyback was denied. Already filed with BBB.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:45 PM

A220
Update with my 2019 A220 AMG line. Still happening… my problem is extremely frustrating. Started 1 month after picking up the car from the dealer in 2019. Car stalls after accelerating from s complete stop. It only happens if I time the acceleration right…not too fast or slow. I now just wait 1 to 2 seconds before accelerating…since the dealer can’t find the cause after 5 times in the shop. 10 months left in my 2019 lease so I am riding it out. Tried contacting the sales Mgr but never responded to my voice mail. Contacted Mercedes’ headquarters and the buyback was denied. Already filed with BBB.

I had an issue with a different car and ended up just taking the mechanic for a ride so he could witness it first hand. Have you asked if you could do that?
Old 10-23-2021, 07:21 PM

A220 AMG-line
Thanks for the info. I actually did a few times. One of the shop foreman Ken experienced this problem before and knows about it. However, he did some software upgrade and it did minimize the occurrences initially. Now it’s back. They said they don’t know what else to do and can only wait for Mercedes to develop new software updates to address this. Very disappointed on how Mercedes is not stepping up to make amendments for the customer.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:26 PM

A220
Thanks for the info. I actually did a few times. One of the shop foreman Ken experienced this problem before and knows about it. However, he did some software upgrade and it did minimize the occurrences initially. Now it’s back. They said they don’t know what else to do and can only wait for Mercedes to develop new software updates to address this. Very disappointed on how Mercedes is not stepping up to make amendments for the customer.
see that just annoys me. If it were a software issue, then everyone would have that problem. Common sense says it’s mechanical. Leave them a thoroughly negative review on Yelp and get their attention.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:44 PM

A220 AMG-line
Yes, it annoys me a great deal too. Their excuse is that every issue is supposed have an error code…and no error codes appear. BBB received my complaint and can assist to initiate a mediation. Since I only have 10 months left on my lease, they mentioned it may not be worthwhile. One of the reps from Mercedes USA suggested that I take it to another dealer for inspection…just to see what they can do. I may do this…just have to find time…Very busy with work in the hospital and parenting a 13 yr old. I love the car and would love to purchase it post-lease…just the way they are handling this issue terrifies me for owning a Mercedes product.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:38 AM

A220 AMG-line
Yes, it annoys me a great deal too. Their excuse is that every issue is supposed have an error code…and no error codes appear. BBB received my complaint and can assist to initiate a mediation. Since I only have 10 months left on my lease, they mentioned it may not be worthwhile. One of the reps from Mercedes USA suggested that I take it to another dealer for inspection…just to see what they can do. I may do this…just have to find time…Very busy with work in the hospital and parenting a 13 yr old. I love the car and would love to purchase it post-lease…just the way they are handling this issue terrifies me for owning a Mercedes product.

I have good news! Took the advice of Mercedes USA and had a different dealer service my car. They replaced a burnt charcoal canister and a did a transmission software update. Although they couldn’t recreate the stall and don’t believe anything they did will affect the car’s performance, I no longer have the issue. It’s been 3 weeks and I still have not experienced it! I am super relieved and happy with the car…finally. After 2 years and 5 failed attempts to fix it at one dealer, I strongly recommend folks take their car to another dealer if they have a similar situation.