Classic Mercedes DIY tips and hints Discussion forum to share your DIY projects.

W111 chassis 1st version transmission linkage issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1964 Mercedes Benz 220S W111 chassis, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport
W111 chassis 1st version transmission linkage issues

Hello folks ! I hope we are all enjoying the summer. Need help with my transmission: not shifting into 2nd gear. Shifts into 1st, 3rd, and 4th gears. On the column shift lever and 4 speed manual transmission. I have replaced the 2 bushings in the steering column, the bushing in the shift lever on the column, the 2 bushings in the shift rods to the transmission. The shift rods to the transmission are not binding. I want to avoid taking the 1964 Mercedes 220S to the dealer to save costs. Does anyone recommend Your Mechanic.com or someone else to inspect the car in my driveway? I live in the El Cajon, Ca. area in San Diego county.

This one is challenging for me. When I purchased the vehicle, the transmission mount was bent. This could have affected the internal gears ?
Let me know your thoughts and solutions, please. Your friend enjoying all German vehicles, Paul

Last edited by GFSHTH; 06-11-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,941 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
If the transmission mount was bent, the question arises as to why it was bent. In my view this is a candidate for the cause of the 2nd gear issue. The bent mount may cause the transmission to be out of position, creating a shift linkage problem. Something to dig into and figure out.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1964 Mercedes Benz 220S W111 chassis, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport
Transmission issue W111 manual 4 speed column shift

An update: I have replaced the transmission mount which I believe was bent by the front driveshaft coupling blown out.
Yesterday I disconnected the shift rod from the transmission (1st and 2nd transmission levers) and manually put the transmission in neutral ( at the shift lever at column). Then I manually pushed and pulled on the lower shift rod and the rod did move forward and backward. I am assuming now that the 2nd gear does work. Could the problem be the shift rods ? They appear to be the correct dimension. Does it matter which rod I connect to the column shift ball connection ? This transmission has 2 shift levers at the transmission and 2 shift rods at the lower column. Thanks for your help ! I have contacted Your Mechanic. com with no replies yet. Paul
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-14-2020)
Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,941 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Have you seen this?

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/w1...nkage.2644529/

Generally, it's best to assemble the vehicle the way it came out of the factory, re: your question on which part goes where. I notice you started another thread, the pictures you posted seem obvious to me.

Can you reassemble the vehicle in the same way as you disassembled it?