Classifieds The classifieds listings have been archived, create a listing in our new Marketplace!

Watches...Patek Philippe and Panerai

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
What does that mean?
It means that a 65 is a good way to **** away money. As is any other MB for that matter. But hey man, if you got it to **** away, more power to you. **** to your own free will.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by nlpamg
Patrick, I'm basing my impressions of you not being at the JLC level from what I've seen and heard from and about you. I think if you were one of those kids driving an E55 to school I'd believe it, but frankly you're not. Furthermore, you're trying to sell burned CD's for like $5 and brochures, who would do that? I'd just give them away to members who wanted them. But, I won't belabor the issue...

Yes, everyone has different tastes, if I saw someone with a PP or JLC in a Maxima I think I'd laugh and say buy a better car first before getting one of those, I guess people have different priorities.

As for JLC, I'm only a fan of the Reverso, I almost bought a Reverso Grande Date and the salesman was trying to sell me the Titanium Aston Martin Memovox, but I did not like the styling of the Memovox (although the alarm was pretty cool) at all and the Reverso was too small. If you were here in So. Cal. you'd see them in many many mall stores and more people than you think know what they are...
Ahh, we have the same favorites. I'm actually considering the Grande Date GMT since I travel so extensively.

I was being a bit unfair about my friend who drives a Maxima. She also drives a Lexus and a Volvo (she has three cars all to herself). Yet, she still prefers the Maxima and drives that one the most. Also being a woman, that's another point, since there are less female watch collectors.

I'm unclear about one thing. If I were to drive an E55, you'd think that it'd be appropriate for me to wear a JLC, but not if I were driving a C230?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:12 PM

G500
Yes, everyone has different tastes, if I saw someone with a PP or JLC in a Maxima I think I'd laugh and say buy a better car first before getting one of those, I guess people have different priorities.

As for JLC, I'm only a fan of the Reverso, I almost bought a Reverso Grande Date
Is it just me or is this post chock full of irony? My apologies for butting in...

By the way, I hate people like you. You are the salesman, the waiter, the real estate agent, and the broker that will never get a red cent from me. Your attitude is of the "lowest level."
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by trezaei
It means that a 65 is a good way to **** away money. As is any other MB for that matter. But hey man, if you got it to **** away, more power to you. **** to your own free will.
Personally, I wouldn't acquire a 65 AMG car. But if someone likes it, thinks it's worth the premium, and acquires one, it's not pissing away money.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by cyntaxx
Is it just me or is this post chock full of irony? My apologies for butting in...

By the way, I hate people like you. You are the salesman, the waiter, the real estate agent, and the broker that will never get a red cent from me. Your attitude is of the "lowest level."
neither any of those, but thanks.

yes, it is ironic, but the Reverso isn't close to as much as a PP or something else. it's actually in the same price range as a lot of Brietlings... but so are Maxima's.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL... how come maxima is mentioned quite often here.... so how about if we scale down a bit.... wear a daytona but drive a maxima?

Would that still be too much of a watch for a maxima? Hope not.... I do that quite often.

I personally don't understand why people always relate cars to houses to watches to bags to

I have a friend who has the Panerai Radiomir 1938 2006 limited edition but only drives a '94 honda. How about that? I don't find it odd.... he just doesn't like cars... he only likes houses and watches.

Or how about a picture posted in the forum sometime ago showing a guy owns lambo & ferrari but lives at a duplex? Would that be too much of cars for that house?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by zoink
LOL... how come maxima is mentioned quite often here.... so how about if we scale down a bit.... wear a daytona but drive a maxima?

Would that still be too much of a watch for a maxima? Hope not.... I do that quite often.

I personally don't understand why people always relate cars to houses to watches to bags to

I have a friend who has the Panerai Radiomir 1938 2006 limited edition but only drives a '94 honda. How about that? I don't find it odd.... he just doesn't like cars... he only likes houses and watches.

Or how about a picture posted in the forum sometime ago showing a guy owns lambo & ferrari but lives at a duplex? Would that be too much of cars for that house?
Agreed, 100%.

Besides, Americans are known to overspend on cars. Most people buy a car that they actually can't afford, and a large percentage of those people grossly overspend.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by patrick_y
Agreed, 100%.

Besides, Americans are known to overspend on cars. Most people buy a car that they actually can't afford, and a large percentage of those people grossly overspend.
Put me down as one of those people. I love buying stuff.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 PM

2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
I didnt mean offense to any 63/65 owners. I was simply saying that they are the "biggest spenders" on the board, and likely the ones who could afford such a watch.

On another note, Patek is amazing. I am in college and I am planning on "aquiring" a Patek at some time in my life, along with other luxuries!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Agreed, 100%.

You know, I don't mind cars and houses. They're necessities that you use daily and they do more than just tell time and they do make a statement just like fine watches.

Can a watch get you from point A to B with massaging seats, Harmon Kardon audio and pretty damn quickly? Can you sleep in your watch? Luxuries are great, but there are some that do a lot more than a watch.

I think you're being unfair to Americans, I remember reading a survey as to how women in Japan (I'm not sure if it's single women or all women generally) spend 75% of their salary on clothes. Now what would you rather have? A nice car or the latest Haute Couture?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You know, I don't mind cars and houses. They're necessities that you use daily and they do more than just tell time and they do make a statement just like fine watches.

Can a watch get you from point A to B with massaging seats, Harmon Kardon audio and pretty damn quickly? Can you sleep in your watch? Luxuries are great, but there are some that do a lot more than a watch.

I think you're being unfair to Americans, I remember reading a survey as to how women in Japan (I'm not sure if it's single women or all women generally) spend 75% of their salary on clothes. Now what would you rather have? A nice car or the latest Haute Couture?
Hmm,can't say I heard about that one. Obviously, I wouldn't trade one bad thing for another. I wouldn't spend a large percentage on my clothes. And seriously 75% is way too much, you sure about those stats? Usually 75% goes to rent, living expenses, and transportation. 75% seems unbelievable, for such a large percentage of Japanese women to spend on clothing and accessories alone. But to answer your question, I'd rather have a nice car over fashionable clothes, but if my choices were more extensive, I'd rather have a nice home.

But sticking closer to home, they say that Americans are notorious for running huge credit card debt and more recently buying cars that really make them have to stretch out their budget. And I believe it.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by MHPHOCKEY
I didnt mean offense to any 63/65 owners. I was simply saying that they are the "biggest spenders" on the board, and likely the ones who could afford such a watch.

On another note, Patek is amazing. I am in college and I am planning on "aquiring" a Patek at some time in my life, along with other luxuries!

Just wanted to say two things.

1. I really like your avatar picture. Just in case you change it, the pic below will remind you of it.

2. I noticed the "acquiring" .
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 AM

Mercedes is gone physically, but still in my heart.
Originally Posted by zoink

I agree completely. It's all about priorities. For me, I'd rather have 2 nice cars and live in a decent apartment, instead of a nice house and one decent car.

Some people, like my father, who make more than enough to buy most cars on the market would rather just buy a brand new Acura TL. He just wants a simple car that drives smoothly in his eyes, is reliable, and gets him from point A to point B. He lives in a modest house, with a modest life, nothing too grandiose.

This is why I can't stand the Maxima comparison, because some people simply could care less about their image and do what makes them happy, whether it's showboating their money, enjoying it, or saving it. There should be no judgment on the way people spend their money whether they make $30,000 a year or $500,000+ a year. Anyway, sorry for the rant, just speaking my mind.

Last edited by C240Style; 02-08-2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I thought my SWATCH was expensive.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by C240Style
I agree completely. It's all about priorities. For me, I'd rather have 2 nice cars and live in a decent apartment, instead of a nice house and one decent car.

Some people, like my father, who make more than enough to buy most cars on the market would rather just buy a brand new Acura TL. He just wants a simple car that drives smoothly in his eyes, is reliable, and gets him from point A to point B. He lives in a modest house, with a modest life, nothing too grandiose.

This is why I can't stand the Maxima comparison, because some people simply could care less about their image and do what makes them happy, whether it's showboating their money, enjoying it, or saving it. There should be no judgment on the way people spend their money whether they make $30,000 a year or $500,000+ a year. Anyway, sorry for the rant, just speaking my mind.
We have similar fathers, although mine doesn't drive an Acura.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Acura and Honda cars are not considered "reliable" when it comes to the 6 cylinder front wheel drive models. Lots of transmission failures specifically for the 6 cylinder models. The 4 cylinder models do not share this transmission failure attribute. I sincerely hope it's a newer model, they've recently started to get the kinks out.

I'd rather have a nice home and one less car than a decent apartment. My values...
Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rareamg
I thought my SWATCH was expensive.

My first watch (when I was about 10 yrs. old) was a Casio basic digital watch (just have an alarm, clock and date).... My dad said it was one of the most expensive watch you could buy... he said it was even more expensive than his rolex Believe it or not... I did believe him for the next couple years. LOL.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't want to burst your bubble, but Acura and Honda cars are not considered "reliable" when it comes to the 6 cylinder front wheel drive models.
True.... but I know a tech who would replace the transmission and engine mount under warranty, even if the car is out of warranty.

BTW, this thread is supposed to talk about OP's watch... not cars, not some :p
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM

G500

I think your words are falling on deaf ears; no one gives a tiny rat's *** what you think we should spend our money on. PERIOD.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 PM

if you want to learn about horology, read the purists', very informative site for watches, etc.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:05 PM

2014 Audi S5 Cabriolet 3.0T
Just wanted to say two things.

1. I really like your avatar picture. Just in case you change it, the pic below will remind you of it.

2. I noticed the "acquiring" .

Just took that picture, thought it was cool!

I was hoping someone would pick up on my choice of words...

Regardless, both are sold. But the debate on what people should spend their money on may continue!