CLE Class Coupe (C236) & Cabrio (A236) 2023-

Mercedes-Benz Unveils the All-New CLE Coupe & Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,782 Likes on 2,528 Posts
2019 C63CS
Shame that it has grown in size and weight over the C205. The design is largely an evolution of the C205 C63S FL with aero package. Lines are a little different, but the overall shape is very much resembling the C205. The stance comes largely from the pronounced aero side sills, which is the same with the C205 FL if the aero package was optioned. W/o the aero package, the C205 does look a bit bland. Engine-wise we will have to see what the CLE 63 will get, but not keeping my hopes up. Even if it gets a 6 cylinder hybrid, it's still gonna be way too heavy. This reconfirms for me that I'm not planning on parting with my '19 C63S anytime soon. This is bigger and heavier with refreshed design and newer tech, but none of that really makes up for the loss of the V8.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:25 PM

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Good enough for 90% of America

Originally Posted by superswiss
Shame that it has grown in size and weight over the C205. The design is largely an evolution of the C205 C63S FL with aero package. Lines are a little different, but the overall shape is very much resembling the C205. The stance comes largely from the pronounced aero side sills, which is the same with the C205 FL if the aero package was optioned. W/o the aero package, the C205 does look a bit bland. Engine-wise we will have to see what the CLE 63 will get, but not keeping my hopes up. Even if it gets a 6 cylinder hybrid, it's still gonna be way too heavy. This reconfirms for me that I'm not planning on parting with my '19 C63S anytime soon. This is bigger and heavier with refreshed design and newer tech, but none of that really makes up for the loss of the V8.
Been in VA for past week with Daughter who works at Reston Town Center. Last weekend took AMG Wagon up to NYC thru DC-Baltimore and switched to 295 for a minute after Delaware Memorial Bridge at 4am in the Rain. Along this I-95 Corridor could not use even a fraction of the AMG TTV8 Performance on bumpy roads and with speed limits that dropped to 50mph in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau County Long Island. AMG CLE53 would have been a more appropriate Tool for this trip or as a DD around the DMV area. Once Daughter gets bored with her gifted 2019 Buick will suggest that she replaces it with this adequate CLE53 Coupe. Then once traffic clears I can visit retired friends at Navy Yards, Dover, and Owing Mills. Daughter can walk home in 8-minutes from RTC if daddy gets stuck in Traffic around quitting time.

For NM the Corvette E-Ray or 2025 GT 63 might be my next Vehicle after 2026 but not for the Northeast.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
Been in VA for past week with Daughter who works at Reston Town Center. Last weekend took AMG Wagon up to NYC thru DC-Baltimore and switched to 295 for a minute after Delaware Memorial Bridge at 4am in the Rain. Along this I-95 Corridor could not use even a fraction of the AMG TTV8 Performance on bumpy roads and with speed limits that dropped to 50mph in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and Nassau County Long Island. AMG CLE53 would have been a more appropriate Tool for this trip or as a DD around the DMV area. Once Daughter gets bored with her gifted 2019 Buick will suggest that she replaces it with this adequate CLE53 Coupe. Then once traffic clears I can visit retired friends at Navy Yards, Dover, and Owing Mills. Daughter can walk home in 8-minutes from RTC if daddy gets stuck in Traffic around quitting time.

For NM the Corvette E-Ray or 2025 GT 63 might be my next Vehicle after 2026 but not for the Northeast.
A CLE 300 is good enough if that's your yardstick. Let's not kid ourselves. Nobody drives an AMG out of necessity. AMG could close shop tomorrow if everybody just bought cars adequate for their needs. In fact Mercedes as a whole could close shop, because a Toyota Camry is enough for what you describe. Most people don't need AWD at all. FWD and proper tires will get you through the winter just fine.
Old 12-07-2023, 11:23 PM

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by superswiss
A CLE 300 is good enough if that's your yardstick. Let's not kid ourselves. Nobody drives an AMG out of necessity. AMG could close shop tomorrow if everybody just bought cars adequate for their needs. In fact Mercedes as a whole could close shop, because a Toyota Camry is enough for what you describe. Most people don't need AWD at all. FWD and proper tires will get you through the winter just fine.
CLE53 would be adequate for me between DMV/NYC. FWD Buick good enough for Daughter...lol

Since its purchase this is first time my AMG has been North of ATL. The highways in SC are pretty bad even after latest I-85 resurfacing; NC roads are much better. Will take my heavy AMG on the Tail of the Dragon next Spring and the amazing Roads in Texas Hill Country. No longer work in SoCal since my Retirement so can't experience those amazing State Highways anymore. Will continue to explore rural roads in NM/AZ/CO until I sell E63s.

What will replace your C63s in 3-5 years? Even the new Dark Horse Mustang is heavy at 3900lbs empty. Test drove a manual 911 Targa 4S last year in ABQ but even those beasts are expensive with options. Good luck and enjoy your Track Time and California Canyon Roads.

Last edited by Drone_S213; 12-07-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
What will replace your C63s in 3-5 years? Even the new Dark Horse Mustang is heavy at 3900lbs empty. Test drove a manual 911 Targa 4S last year in ABQ but even those beasts are expensive with options. Good luck and enjoy your Track Time and California Canyon Roads.
That is an excellent question and the short answer is I don't know. The longer answer is maybe nothing will replace it, but that depends on where I'll be in 3-5 years and how it is holding up. The reality is I've never really needed a car. I still don't. It's convenient to have one, but mostly cars for me have been toys to satisfy my passion for driving. This has largely been fueled by what cars used to be up till now, especially performance cars like the C63. Emotional machines burning carbohydrates and sounding the part. I learned to drive with manual transmissions, but those have gone away mostly. I was fine with that, because dual clutch transmissions and the MCT haven't taken away much of the sensation of shifting gears, even if I don't manually operate a clutch pedal anymore. I still drive mostly in manual mode. However, we are moving away from good sounding engines, combustion engines in general and towards electric with a single gear. In other words mostly transportation appliances. That's not what I want from a car. If I just need transportation I can take the train, call an Uber, walk or ride my bike and just rent a car when I need one. So maybe my future is carless. At the moment it's car light, or maybe I'll replace it with a used low mileage GT R at some point. Up till now I've mostly bought new cars, but that might change.
The following users liked this post:
Drone_S213 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:04 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Ya, I told you you were right just one post above yours
OOPS missed it sorry

Was in and out in a hurry when I posted a few comments yesterday...
Old 12-09-2023, 03:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,373 Likes on 2,024 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by AV1
OOPS missed it sorry

Was in and out in a hurry when I posted a few comments yesterday...
All good, glad you were right though because what a car!
The following users liked this post:
AV1 (12-10-2023)