CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

have to slam doors.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK RENNtech Coupe
have to slam doors.....

I know alot of other owners have this problem. When I close the doors on my 99, the door glass hangs up on the weatherstripping. I was wondering if you can retro-fit the pieces off the newer models to drop the glass that 1/2 in or so.

Also, can you install the piece from the s-class to close the doors softly....I really hate slamming a door shut

Thanks
Old 03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Yeh, i have this problem too but im not much help on fixing it. It would be sweet if someone knows the answer to this tho. Could you perhaps loosen the spring that closes the latch when you shut the door?
Old 03-04-2005, 09:15 AM

CLK 430
I have similar problems (CLK 430, 1999). Currently I have managed this reasonably by cleaning the seals and lubricating them with silicone grease. I've also discussed this with my local MB dealer, and they suggest window realignment (around $200).
Old 03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK RENNtech Coupe
I would think you could install the module from the newer models that have the window drop feature '01-'02(I think). I've searched the web for that part to see if I could try it but I can't even find it.

As far as the soft-shut doors from an S-class, the striker and latch apear to be the same, but i'm not sure.

I too cleaned and lubricated the seals. Recently though, when you shut the doors, it soundt like a rock hitting the glass. If you push down on the door when you shut it, it works better but you still have to shut it with some force. It's just embarassing when you have a guest in a nice car and their truck doors work better you know?

If anyone knows where I can get these parts besides a stealer, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

99 CLK 320,01 S2000
From what the dealer told me is that all e class and clk doors close the same.You have to slam it shut.What I do at night time so I don't have to slam it is crack the window a little bit so it will close smooth and quietly,then use the remote to roll up the window.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Yeh, whats the deal with our remote open and close for the window? I never figured that thing out.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:48 PM

335is
Originally Posted by King320
Yeh, whats the deal with our remote open and close for the window? I never figured that thing out.
press and hole the lock button to close windows... press and hold the unlock to open windows and sun roof

i leave the sunroof poped up all the time and the door closes with ease... i think it's cause or air or soemthing getting no where when u close the door so the presure keeps the door from closing shut...
Old 03-04-2005, 06:56 PM
JMA

CLK 430; Porsche 993
Agree that popping the sunroof up will solve this problem. This is what I did when my auto down / up feature stopped working until I could get the car to the dealer...worked like a charm.....
Old 03-10-2005, 06:54 PM

W208 CLK320 1998
CLK Window realignment

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this, but thought I might be able to help. My 1998 CLK320 had the same problem with the windows rolling up too high. When the door was shut, it would catch on the rubber strip at the top, and leave a gap down the side of the window. I phoned the stealer, and they advised that an adjustment would be about £120! What I found out is that if you open the door, roll down the window to the bottom, and then lie down underneath the door you will see some rubber plugs. Take these out, and then look up inside these holes, and you will see some star shaped bolts. These are the stops for the window regulator, and are adjustable. You will need a female Torx socket of the appropriate size. To make the window stop a little lower, turn the two adjusters (front and rear of window) a quarter of a turn clockwise each (or more as required), and then check the alignment. Ajust them up or down as appropriate, and check the alignment by winding up the window and shutting the door. Don't forget those seals do need to keep the weather out! When you have got the adjustment right, replace the rubber plugs, and then sit in the car, and wind the windows up by holding the switch at the first position (not one touch up), then hold in the 1st position for about 5 seconds. They should then function correctly, and you shouldn't have to slam the doors!!! It worked on mine!

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 AM

CLK 430
Thumbs up Problem soved

Thanks Pete, your window realignment guide really solved my annoying problem and the fix cost me only a little time! Now my doors close nicely and I avoided costly visit to the dealer.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:58 PM

W208 CLK320 1998
Windows

Hi Pyry,

Glad the info helped!

Kind regards,

Pete
Griffmeister