CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cup Kit vs. Spring / Shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cup Kit vs. Spring / Shocks

Hey guys i had a question, i purchased some H&R sport springs from Tire Rack, I want my clk to be slammed so i purchased #1 pads also. When i went to the install place he told me that my car would be wayyyy lower if i used the Cup Kit. My question is if i buy Koni or Bilstein Shocks will my car be as low as the Cup Kit? What's the difference in the Cup Kit arent they just springs and shocks? Should i return my springs and get the H&R Cup Kit or stay with the springs and buy the shocks (Koni, Billstein) on the side? Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
i asked a few people recently the same question. the cup kit is designed for stiff and extremely low ride. it is mostly used for auto-X. the h&r springs are a pretty nice setup but IMO, if you're gonna sacrifice ride comfort for a more aggressive look and better handling, why not go all the way with the cup kit? i also heard the koni adjustables are pretty annoying to adjust as it is not the most convenient thing to do and no one ever adjusts them as often as they originally thought they would prior to purchasing them.

in short, cup kit are springs and shocks designed to work together for a stifffffff lowwwww ride. if you also purchase koni or bilstein sport shocks with your h&r springs... i don't think it could be lower than the cup kit's setup.

i'm waiting on blackbenzz to put his on so he could tell me how the ride is before i purchase them. if i do slam my car, it's gonna be with the cup kit.

Last edited by myNAMESterry; 03-18-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Heres an update. I hit a huge pothole last night and messed up my front left shock. I will be puttin on the cup kit within the next 2 weeks. I also ordered some 19's today and will post pics when I get them. I heard the cup kit isnt that stiff. But he has them on a C320. I'm hoping its not too stiff. As soon as I find some one to put in my shocks and springs for a good price I will get it done. Anyone know what spring pads I should use to get an even ride with the H&R cup kit (on a CLK430)?
Old 03-19-2005, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get the cup kit, I had H&R and Koni with #1 spring pads and my car was riding like an suv.

-Bruce
Old 03-19-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by LowRydeR
Get the cup kit, I had H&R and Koni with #1 spring pads and my car was riding like an suv.

-Bruce
bruce, no way. IMHO, the HR with #1 pads and koni shocks (my setup) is pretty damn low. Bruce like his **** mad slammed. My setup with HR, Koni (medium setting), #1 pads ... and I cant even get a finger in the back. In the front.. I can get a finger in there.. but with an angle. Its pretty low. I have a 430, which is heavier.... dunno man. With an HR Cupkit on a 430 (which is designed for the 320), u will be slammed like crazy.

Here is my car with the setup when it was just installed! It has settled down since then and is a little lower.

http://www.sfdreamscape.com/club/rob/clkrob4.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by CLK430ROB; 03-19-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Bruce-did u have any scraping issues with your front bumper? And how owuld you describe the ride on 19's dropped with the cup kit? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:23 PM

335is
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Heres an update. I hit a huge pothole last night and messed up my front left shock. I will be puttin on the cup kit within the next 2 weeks. I also ordered some 19's today and will post pics when I get them. I heard the cup kit isnt that stiff. But he has them on a C320. I'm hoping its not too stiff. As soon as I find some one to put in my shocks and springs for a good price I will get it done. Anyone know what spring pads I should use to get an even ride with the H&R cup kit (on a CLK430)?
i heard and read somewhere that the cup kits aren't as stiff as people kept on saying they are... and thats from teh people who uses them on their benz too...
Old 03-19-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
ok fine... cup kit + sway bars = win