CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, get the N1 if possible, not the N2!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
any leakage problem running the nav module in the rear winshield?
Old 04-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Almost a Member!

The nav antenna cable runs straight back into the trunk, there is a high lip around the weatherstrip to drain water away, have had no water leakage problems into the trunk at all so far.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
a buddy of mine just got the n2 and he sed you cant play dvd while driving even cuting the switch off and the speed switch or sumthing like that.. which really sucks.. buthey congrats on your new system
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx
a buddy of mine just got the n2 and he sed you cant play dvd while driving even cuting the switch off and the speed switch or sumthing like that.. which really sucks.. buthey congrats on your new system
anyone with half a brain can set it up for dvd in motion (ex. looks at red-clk's above posts) or you could simply bring it to a car stereo shop, thats where i had mine done. theyre not allowed to do it legally but if you know the guy or he doesnt think its a big deal then youre set
Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by RED-CLK
Cery is right, I just finished installing a double pole switch that controls the speed sensor signal and the parking brake signal. With the switch set so the speed signal was cut off and the park brake signal completed to ground, I drove a mile or so and had a movie going, perfect I thought, problem solved, but then as I was going back home going around a corner I lost the video, the warning screen came up and I had to bring up the movie control screen, hit menu, then play and it was back on! More than likely the gyroscope sensed the car turning and after a while shut off the video..... bummer!!!! There is a set of RCA outputs in the trunk unit for a video DVD player, so that would be simple solution, but where could I mount it so it can be easily seen by the front passenger? The sad part is I had ordered the N1 but the salesman talked me into the N2, saying the N1 was no longer available. Oh well.......

Ping... you have arrived at your destination,

Yeah, read his post...

Last edited by CERY; 04-06-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:28 PM

2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
anyone with half a brain can set it up for dvd in motion (ex. looks at red-clk's above posts) or you could simply bring it to a car stereo shop, thats where i had mine done. theyre not allowed to do it legally but if you know the guy or he doesnt think its a big deal then youre set
BKBenz, Please check your IM...

cheers!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 PM

2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
does this mean that we can have video during motion? If anyone have solution please share....I'm a little confused.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 PM

1999 CLK430
It couldn't be any easier, simply ground the parking brake switch wire. There is no need to buy a toggle switch from any store unless you don't want to have permanent dvd while driving use.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Bagher
It couldn't be any easier, simply ground the parking brake switch wire. There is no need to buy a toggle switch from any store unless you don't want to have permanent dvd while driving use.
That is just not true, please re-read my earlier posts, I have tried that and it does not work with the Avic n2, don't know about the N1 maybe it will with that version. I would not want somebody to plunk down $1600 dollars for an N2 and expect the video DVD to play while car is in motion and be disappointed.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 AM

I have the N1 and a local shop grounded the parking brake and i can watch during motion and everything works fine, but thats with the n1. My buddy just bought the n2 and you can NOT do that, it has it built into the unit via gyro and can sense movement, i'm sure eventually someone will figure it out but i know pioneer went through some s**t and had to make it tougher to ground their unit. Personally i would stick with the N1, its an amazing unit and price has gone down a lot.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:39 AM

thanks guys for the inputs, but BklynBenz think that its doable, and I think, he said its done on his car...
BkBnz, pls jump in on this....

cheers!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:24 PM

Designo AMG
Originally Posted by Arabian Knights
I have the N1 and a local shop grounded the parking brake and i can watch during motion and everything works fine, but thats with the n1. My buddy just bought the n2 and you can NOT do that, it has it built into the unit via gyro and can sense movement, i'm sure eventually someone will figure it out but i know pioneer went through some s**t and had to make it tougher to ground their unit. Personally i would stick with the N1, its an amazing unit and price has gone down a lot.
I have also heard this. If anyone comes across a way to have video playback on the N2 let us know. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before a hack of some sort is there.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 PM

Other than the traffic service and the fact that N2 will not play video during motion....Does anyone know of any other difference between N1 and N2.
What about the navigation software? Is it the same for both OR there is an upgrade for N2?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 AM

Okay, For those that want the best of both worlds by looking into buying AVIC-N2...Now you can have the realtime traffic info on an Avic-N1...and still have video in motion by doing the upgrade...check out the link
Upgrade AVIC-N1

*Anyone know if there are any other difference between the N1 & N2...I asked this b4, but NO response.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Almost a Member!

Update on my Pioneer Avic N2 install..... Tried everything to no avail to be able to watch video while car is moving, decided it can't be done with the N-2. I ended up buying another Pioneer nav system, the N-1 version and giving the N-2 to my son, for his car (early birthday present).
20 minutes later, by just replacing the head unit and the "brain" box in the trunk with the N-1 replacements, I finally have what I wanted in the first place, video for the passenger to watch at any time! The parking brake wire is now re-wired to be grounded all the time and everything works perfectly. The only thing is, I liked the look of the N-2 map display a bit better than the N-1 which has more of a gray background. The N-1 versions are getting harder to get since they have been phased out, so if your'e thinking of doing this install, don't wait to long!!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by RED-CLK
Update on my Pioneer Avic N2 install..... Tried everything to no avail to be able to watch video while car is moving, decided it can't be done with the N-2. I ended up buying another Pioneer nav system, the N-1 version and giving the N-2 to my son, for his car (early birthday present).
20 minutes later, by just replacing the head unit and the "brain" box in the trunk with the N-1 replacements, I finally have what I wanted in the first place, video for the passenger to watch at any time! The parking brake wire is now re-wired to be grounded all the time and everything works perfectly. The only thing is, I liked the look of the N-2 map display a bit better than the N-1 which has more of a gray background. The N-1 versions are getting harder to get since they have been phased out, so if your'e thinking of doing this install, don't wait to long!!
saw this on a forum, not sure if it works but they say you can switch it into your reverse cam input ... read the details

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...c,43093.0.html
Old 04-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Ineresting, I wonder how that would effect the picture quality, seems likely that going thru RCA jacks and the camera output, the picture quality would degrade a bit......
Old 05-13-2005, 10:15 AM

Has anyone check if looping the rear video out to the camera input work???

Red CLK, if you get a nice RCA like "monster cable" you might NOT loose a lot of video quality, but atleast you are able to get what you want...video in motion.

some people on that forum said they tried that and it didn't work????
Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
wonder where that CERY newbie went? He got OWNED and then just stopped posting........

Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM

Would you care to explain how I supposedly got "OWNED"? I believe someone else was mistaken and stopped posting. There are questions directed his way and unfielded.

Make sure you read all the posts before you make silly statements. It makes you look like a "newbie".

EDIT: I'll make it easy for you. Here's a summary of the whole post.

-Guy posted that he just got the AVIC N-2 installed in his CLK.

-I asked how much the service was for the XM traffic navigation.

-I was told that XM traffic navigation was free.

-I corrected that false statement being that XM traffic navigation requires XM service.

-I was then told that XM traffic navigation is different and not like "pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, oem mb navs, etc." (when in fact the one of the main selling points of the N-2 is the XM traffic navigation capability, mind you that it is a PIONEER.) There is a difference between navigation and traffic navigation.

-Then the original poster stated that he couldn't get the video to work while the car is in motion.

-I informed the poster that the N-2 uses an internal gyro and the gps to deactivate the video while in motion.

-We are then told that anyone with half a brain can set the video to work in motion since it was done in his car.

-Being that we all don't have "half a brain", no one can figure out the current dilemma and the smart guy isn't back on here to tell us the master plan.

-Then someone inquires my whereabouts and makes me feel missed. Thanks?

Last edited by CERY; 05-13-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally Posted by CERY
Would you care to explain how I supposedly got "OWNED"? I believe someone else was mistaken and stopped posting. There are questions directed his way and unfielded.

Make sure you read all the posts before you make silly statements. It makes you look like a "newbie".

EDIT: I'll make it easy for you. Here's a summary of the whole post.

-Guy posted that he just got the AVIC N-2 installed in his CLK.

-I asked how much the service was for the XM traffic navigation.

-I was told that XM traffic navigation was free.

-I corrected that false statement being that XM traffic navigation requires XM service.

-I was then told that XM traffic navigation is different and not like "pioneers, alpines, kenwoods, oem mb navs, etc." (when in fact the one of the main selling points of the N-2 is the XM traffic navigation capability, mind you that it is a PIONEER.) There is a difference between navigation and traffic navigation.

-Then the original poster stated that he couldn't get the video to work while the car is in motion.

-I informed the poster that the N-2 uses an internal gyro and the gps to deactivate the video while in motion.

-We are then told that anyone with half a brain can set the video to work in motion since it was done in his car.

-Being that we all don't have "half a brain", no one can figure out the current dilemma and the smart guy isn't back on here to tell us the master plan.

-Then someone inquires my whereabouts and makes me feel missed. Thanks?
aww....the newbie with his 61 posts got butthurt. you had to go through all that hard work to prove you didn't get owned, but in everybody else's eyes you got OWNED. You can take all your "know it all" attitude and go sell AVIC N2 satellite plans for $13.99 per month. Maybe that will boost your post count AND your knowledge about benzs.

i'm through with you.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by clkal
aww....the newbie with his 61 posts got butthurt. you had to go through all that hard work to prove you didn't get owned, but in everybody else's eyes you got OWNED. You can take all your "know it all" attitude and go sell AVIC N2 satellite plans for $13.99 per month. Maybe that will boost your post count AND your knowledge about benzs.

i'm through with you.
bahahahahahaha, that was great
Old 05-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Wow. I was butthurt? I didn't know I was supposed to take this to heart. I usually just post here to help out. I don't understand what your post was supposed to do. Make me feel upset? Is this what makes you happy and how you keep your 'post counts' so high?

Being that I have a low 'post count' and am the resident "newbie", maybe I should just shut up and just read the misinformation posted and agree with it. I'm sure that's what these boards were designed to do.

And do go try and leave now and supposedly be "through with me". I ain't mad at you and I don't understand why you are getting all worked up having to even resurrect a thread just to point that out.

Ohh, it's 62 posts now and counting...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:47 AM

okay boys, let's not get into a fist fight and get back to info that seems to be a mystery to us.....

How can we get video while driving faster than 15mph...

REDclk, do U feel like rigging the rear monitor input with the camera out as explained in the other forum???
and we can put a rest to this mystery....I know U gave the unit to your
son....I figured since you've put a lot of time and effort into trying to rig
the N2, plus, since you said the video on the N2 is better than the N1...
just a curios suggestion....thanks!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........