CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

need opinion on wheel refinishing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
need opinion on wheel refinishing

ok heres the deal, i have a set of authentic lorinser lm5's (18 x 8.5 uo front and 18 x 9.5 in the rear) that have some curb rash and they are the diamond finish.

i wanna get them refinished now while i still have my stock/winter wheels on. my car is black opal and heres what im thinking:

a) just refinish the 2 that are rashed up as close to original as possible

b) refinish the 2 and polish/chrome all 4 lips

c) refinish the 2 and powder coat the centers black opal and polish/chrome all 4 lips

d) refinish the 2 and chrome all 4

i think im leaning towards "c" but not completely 100% sold. what do you guys think? any better ideas? if i powder coat should i do the same color as my car or a different color?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
BKLYN - IMO LM 5's are the hottest wheels for the CLK. I have the same set as you and plan to put them back on instead of the HRE's that are currrently installed on my car.

As to your question - I would go with option "b" because I think that the only aesthetic "weakness" of the diamond cut LM 5's is that the outer lip could be a little more polished. When they're fresh out of the box it looks very nice - but if you like to drive your benz, it's hard to keep that lip looking ultra polished. If you chrome the lips that would take care of it.

I am not a big fan of chrome rims so personally I think "d" is a non-starter.

Option "c" would give you something you wouldn't see repeated on other cars - but looks wise it's a total departure from the other three options in the sense that you would end up with the dark center / bright lip look. It's a question of whether that's what you like.

BTW - you look insane in your picture
Old 04-01-2005, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Originally Posted by lowphat
BKLYN - IMO LM 5's are the hottest wheels for the CLK. I have the same set as you and plan to put them back on instead of the HRE's that are currrently installed on my car.

As to your question - I would go with option "b" because I think that the only aesthetic "weakness" of the diamond cut LM 5's is that the outer lip could be a little more polished. When they're fresh out of the box it looks very nice - but if you like to drive your benz, it's hard to keep that lip looking ultra polished. If you chrome the lips that would take care of it.

I am not a big fan of chrome rims so personally I think "d" is a non-starter.

Option "c" would give you something you wouldn't see repeated on other cars - but looks wise it's a total departure from the other three options in the sense that you would end up with the dark center / bright lip look. It's a question of whether that's what you like.

BTW - you look insane in your picture
thanks for the input man, "b" and "c" is def what i have it narrowed down to. btw, if i looked like the guy (borat/ali g) in that picture, i would kill myself, lol
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
OK.... your girl looks hot in your avatar.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Polish them instead of chrome...that'll look hot!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would go "B"
Old 04-01-2005, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a guy who does the official refinishing for MB of Manhattan and Sovereign and a few other benz dealerships. He charges roughly $90 per wheel and leaves a factory like finish. My friend used his service and the guy came to his house in brooklyn and redid both his wheels in under an hour and was gone. Very top notch service and he comes to you. I can get his number if you want. There is also this other Russian guy who works out of a garage in east Flatbush brooklyn. He charges $50 to repair wheels and does a TREMENDOUS amount of work. If you take your car to a shop in the brooklyn area and they dont do the work inhouse... 75% of the time ..it is probably him and his son who do it.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
yea if you could get me some numbers that would be great. i checked a few local shops to fix the wheels and almost all of them said they would be sending them out to get fixed. i figured hell, im not gonna pay some shop extra money to handle my wheels and i was planning on sending them to www.wheelcollision.com or this guy in CA.

i have a local source for powder coating and if i choose to go that route, the guys gonna hook me up because we do alot of work with him (im in construction) so for right now i guess the main thing/first thing im looking to do is fix the curb rash and possibly chrome/polish the lips. do any of these guys youre talking about chrome or polish the lips?

thanks
matt
Old 04-02-2005, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by J Lucas
There is a guy who does the official refinishing for MB of Manhattan and Sovereign and a few other benz dealerships. He charges roughly $90 per wheel and leaves a factory like finish. My friend used his service and the guy came to his house in brooklyn and redid both his wheels in under an hour and was gone. Very top notch service and he comes to you. I can get his number if you want. There is also this other Russian guy who works out of a garage in east Flatbush brooklyn. He charges $50 to repair wheels and does a TREMENDOUS amount of work. If you take your car to a shop in the brooklyn area and they dont do the work inhouse... 75% of the time ..it is probably him and his son who do it.
Is this the guy on Clarendon between Kings Hwy and Remson?If so he does very good wrk.

PS I'd also like the guys # who does the official refinishing for MB.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 04-02-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Is this the guy on Clarendon between Kings Hwy and Remson?If so he does very good wrk.

PS I'd also like the guys # who does the official refinishing for MB.
Yes, thats the guy. I believe its Clarendon b/t 57th and 58th. He doesnt have any sort of phone, you just go there knock and the garage door and he opens. He has like a little russian lab in there it looks so awesome. Im waiting for my friend to call me back with that mobile guy. Stay tuned
Old 04-02-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by J Lucas
Yes, thats the guy. I believe its Clarendon b/t 57th and 58th. He doesnt have any sort of phone, you just go there knock and the garage door and he opens. He has like a little russian lab in there it looks so awesome. Im waiting for my friend to call me back with that mobile guy. Stay tuned
Yes he did an unbelieveable job fixing one of my 17" monolblocks.The lip was literally torn away from the rim by these stupid NYC raised manhole lids in the street.He fixed it and it looks completely new.I'm still trying to get the city to reimberse me for the damage done.I want them to pay me for a new rim even though I got it fixed.The rim looks like new and he charged me 80.00 to fix it.I thought it was trash but he insisted that he could fix it and I had no complaints.Great job.I have a lil curb rash on my 18" mono's I'm going to have him fix.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Yes he did an unbelieveable job fixing one of my 17" monolblocks.The lip was literally torn away from the rim by these stupid NYC raised manhole lids in the street.He fixed it and it looks completely new.I'm still trying to get the city to reimberse me for the damage done.I want them to pay me for a new rim even though I got it fixed.The rim looks like new and he charged me 80.00 to fix it.I thought it was trash but he insisted that he could fix it and I had no complaints.Great job.I have a lil curb rash on my 18" mono's I'm going to have him fix.
can he chrome or polish the lips?

how much does he charge to get rid of curb rash?
Old 04-02-2005, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
can he chrome or polish the lips?

how much does he charge to get rid of curb rash?
Yes he can.Price is probaly between 50-80.00.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
Yes he can.Price is probaly between 50-80.00.
thanks coolcar and j lucas im gonna check this guy out. just go over there and knock on the guys door? he has no # or exact address? what color is the door? lol.

j lucas - did you find that # for the other guy?

thanks
matt
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
any new numbers or info?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
any update on the info for the mobile refinishing guy? its not this guy is it:

www.jsalloy.com

hes mobile and ive been hearing good things about him lately but hes out of NJ, not NY
Old 04-25-2005, 11:18 PM

CLK 430
I have refinished rims...how much are they worth AMG original 17in

Hey guys,

I thinking about moving to 18's or 19's any suggestions regarding size or brand. I am by no means poor but wife and I have other focuses so rims that are more than 2k are out of what I feel is worthy on a car that is a 1999.

My question is I just had my rims..original AMG's on a CLK 430 refinished..(chrome lip is gone though) but the look sweet.....major shine...top end paint 5 coats...and 4 coats of clear on each...smooth and shiny...all major gashes are COMPLETELY GONE...honestly they look new. I was wondering with tires that have 75% tread on them what all 4 wheels are worth...Feedback is appreciated...I can post pics this weekend if anyone is interested