CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bumper got hooked on a parking block!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Question

Originally Posted by yuanja888
A body shop fixed it by putting some reinforcements on the backside. cost was $400.
Originally Posted by mtimmy
bondo it and repaint the bumper.., around a $200 to $300 kind of job.
Question, can you get the same "drive off the lot" paint quality from a quality bodyshop?

It seems that on the original parts the paint is more "elastic and flexible", i.e. less brittle and prone to cracking especially on flexible pieces like the bumper and skirts. I was thinking of putting on a different kit, but was worried that no matter how good the body shop is, the paint may be more prone to cracking and chipping on these parts. tanx, D
Old 08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The degree to which the paint will crack is proportional to the amount of hardener that's mixed with the clear coat. You can check with your body shop as to which brand of clear they use, and look on the can of clear for yourself. The instructions will say how much hardener to use. It's usually in the area of 8 to 1. That's clear to hardener - go the other way and the results would be "interesting". The best thing to do is to ask your painter to see some work that they've done. That won't answer the cracking question (that takes time, and the painter probably won't have any old paint jobs around for testimonials), but you will get a pretty good idea as to the quality of their work.

Lastly, you can get a paint job that matches the quality of a new Mercedes, but it will be pricey.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Marcus' explanation is valid, for the most part...

it also makes a big difference what the material of the bumper is made of... a Polyurethane bumper (oem bumpers) have a lot of flex & give, and is a lot softer in general... rock chips are more likely to be absorbed as opposed to flaking the paint off...

For a bumper made of fiberglass, it is very stiff... that adds to the likelihood of getting rockchips..

As for going to a place that does paint work at MBUSA specs... Thats what I did for my lorinser kit...

The place is fully certified by MBUSA as a repair center, using all MBUSA approved tools, technics & products (including factory paints).... The last time they had to work on & repaint my bumper, the bill came out to be $900.... And the paint still chips... oh well
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
i am not the only one..

Just replaced my entire front bumpber b/c of this exact reason. Granted my car is lowered but geezz.. the actual hinges holding the bumber to the frame on the passenger came undone..there was a 2 inch gap. it was very depressing.. got new bumper and parts, at mercedes dealership bodyshop..good as new..and insurance picked up the tab minus my deductible.

good luck.