CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

manual transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
manual transmission

hey there my peoples. i am looking for a 1998 and up C320 manual transmission. because my friend is a tech for mercedes and he can bolt it on to my motor with minor adjustments. so if anyone can help me find a used manual tranny for 98 and up C320 or tell me where to get one or if there is a website that i can go to i really preciate it. and buy the way this company in arizona called hardparts.com offers rebuilt automatic trannys for all mercedes models for an unbeliveable prices and they also warranty their trannys. i just tought it might be usefull to you guys or it would be a great source for the future. thanks
Old 04-28-2005, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
I hope you can pull this off because its something i want to do sometime in the future, but i hear that it is VERY much more difficult than bolting up the transmission in place of the automatic, you'll have to add on all the additional bits such as slave and master cylilnder, replace computers, fabricate all means for clutch utilizaton, it looks like it might be pretty tough. i dont know too much about it but i want to do it in the future, best of luck.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
I heard an estimate of around $15-20k for the replacement job because of all the stuff King mentioned. Swapping a manual into the CLK is more than just a simple bolt-on job by any means.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
And who would want to anyway? The MB manuals...

are horrible. If you want to shift that bad, gotta go by a BMW, Porsche, or Audi. They all have far superior manuals. The MB manuals are like stirring a stick through oatmeal, and with generally awful economy ratios to boot. Ick.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Originally Posted by King320
I hope you can pull this off because its something i want to do sometime in the future, but i hear that it is VERY much more difficult than bolting up the transmission in place of the automatic, you'll have to add on all the additional bits such as slave and master cylilnder, replace computers, fabricate all means for clutch utilizaton, it looks like it might be pretty tough. i dont know too much about it but i want to do it in the future, best of luck.
The European / Non North American market CLK's offered manuals with the 4 cylinder models (CLK200, for example). If you have resources for the parts lists, you can get the components for the W208 such as the hardware for mounting the clutch pedal, hydraulics and the like.

The v6 and v8 models never offered manuals in any market, so that's why you have to look for the 4 cyl parts for M/T.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Yeh, but you cant direct bolt on a manual transmission from a 4-cyl onto a 6-cyl. If anything your best bet is to go with an SLK 320 manual transmission. The CLK320 and SLK 320 have identical engines (except for airboxes) the transmission will fit. However, the big problem is fabricating everything that isnt there (the stuff i mentioned in the previous post) as well as fabricating the software needed to run such a setup. Renntech has quoted $15K to do this in the past and although i bet there's some inflation in that price because you're dealing with Renntech, i dont see it being done for less than $10K, given that the tranny itself is $4-5K new, $3-4K reconditioned.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
I dont want to sound too negative though, check out this link...rebuilt SLK320 tranny for 2K. I would give these guys a call since they know alot more than i do.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33727
If you got this thing together i think you would be the only one in the world wish such a setup, best of luck. Take lots of pics and record the process carefully, because im sure lots of people have thought about doing the same thing.