CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Break Noise!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 R230 SL55 / 94 W124 E500
Unhappy Break Noise!!

Hi evryone,
I had my front and rear brake pads and roters changed to Zimmerman Cross drilled and Porterfield pads R4-S .I also changed the 4 brake lines to a satinless steel lines.,and off course drain the fluied and bleed the system. After changing all that , I noticed my car makes clicking noise when I am coming to a stop .This never happend with stock rotors and pads . If i am describeing this noise, it would be like putting a sand paper on the rotors while turning the rotors! ,and that if you try hear it from inside of the car. However ,if i try to hear it from outside it is like putting a plastic card in the spokes of a bicycle. It is very quiet thugh. I started hearing the hoise only after putting all new rotors and pads. What could be the problem?. I have checked my car with a mechanic , and he told me this is normal , due to new pads and rotors!. I am not convinced thugh, esptially because i feel the padal now is spongy unlike before with stock it was firm .eventhugh, i changed all of that to new . Please help
Old 05-24-2005, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
From my experience with mercedes, stick to original rotors and pads. They are designed to work quietly and smoothly. However, no matter what you are doing always stick with original pads because they are soft and not prone to squeaking, although they give off a hell of a lot more dust.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:13 AM

Piece of SH*T
And I was thinking of changing my rotors, pads and lines with a setup like this as well..NEVERMIND. I guess that's why stoptech/brembo,wilwood and etc are well worth the money if you are trying to upgrade your braking system.

Last edited by CLKonDUBS; 05-24-2005 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CLKonDUBS
And I was thinking of changing my rotors, pads and lines with a setup like this as well..NEVERMIND. I guess that's why stoptech/brembo,wilwood and etc are well worth the money if you are trying to upgrade your braking system.
Well, i bought the Zimmermann Rotors , because i heard nothing but good things about them in this forums and others.Plus they are drilled in the factory "in Germany " not like many others who get thair rotors drilled by a local machine shops and sell it of Ebay! such as Brembo and many other brands .
http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/english/eng_framset.htm
My Pads are Porterfield . "well known pads and been used by thousands of Mercedes owners " Not anyone i know had any complain expecpt some squeals which i do not have now.
Are there any of you experince same kind of noise i am getting? Any tips ? any trouble shotters out there? thanks
Old 05-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
It sound slike normal pad wearing against rotors. Since you have slotted/drilled rotors now you will hear more noise cuz theres more friction, therefore better stopping.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by superstar
Hi evryone,
I had my front and rear brake pads and roters changed to Zimmerman Cross drilled and Porterfield pads R4-S .I also changed the 4 brake lines to a satinless steel lines.,and off course drain the fluied and bleed the system. After changing all that , I noticed my car makes clicking noise when I am coming to a stop .This never happend with stock rotors and pads . If i am describeing this noise, it would be like putting a sand paper on the rotors while turning the rotors! ,and that if you try hear it from inside of the car. However ,if i try to hear it from outside it is like putting a plastic card in the spokes of a bicycle. It is very quiet thugh. I started hearing the hoise only after putting all new rotors and pads. What could be the problem?. I have checked my car with a mechanic , and he told me this is normal , due to new pads and rotors!. I am not convinced thugh, esptially because i feel the padal now is spongy unlike before with stock it was firm .eventhugh, i changed all of that to new . Please help
If the rotors are "slotted" as well as cross drilled that explains the "like putting a plastic card in the spokes of a bicycle " sound. it's normal and will disapate after break in of the pads.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
if the brakes feel spongy, then they probably didn't bleed the brakes properly...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by AMGC43
If the rotors are "slotted" as well as cross drilled that explains the "like putting a plastic card in the spokes of a bicycle " sound. it's normal and will disapate after break in of the pads.
No my rotors only cross drilled.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 PM

Ok now,
I usualy drive my car in the highways , so i usually use very little breaking every now and then. But today , i drove my car inside the city , it looks like when the pads built some heat against the rotors the more sound likely to come. , and when the pads cool off , the sound is less !
Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Originally Posted by 3199cc
From my experience with mercedes, stick to original rotors and pads. They are designed to work quietly and smoothly. However, no matter what you are doing always stick with original pads because they are soft and not prone to squeaking, although they give off a hell of a lot more dust.
OK guys let me chime in here. I also bought the Zimmerman Cross drilled rotors and got the same kind of noise with them using ATE pads. Took them off and asked the guys at my local AutoZone just to put them on the resurfacing machine to see it they were running true. Well they weren't. Sent them back to where I got them from and they sent me a new set including new pads, SAME result! Only thing is this time if I looked at the face of the rotor I could see numbers of the drilled holes was scored badly on the leading edge, thus creating the whirring sounds and bad vibrations under heavy breaking (the rotors were warped again!). Each time I took care in "breaking" the rotors and pads in with no heavy breaking etc. for the first 200 miles etc. SO to cut a long story short I eventually bought a set of rotors and pads from the dealer. Now I have quiet breaking and LOTS of break dust but I do have excellent breaking!

So unless you get very soft pads with the Zimmermans don't waste your money! GO with Brembo or stick with dealer stock.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stick with factory pads at least if you are going to switch to zimmerman. If you want to try a lil cheaper than go OE PAGID or OE TEXTAR to save a few bucks. Very similar pads to stock OEM.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrantWinTX
OK guys let me chime in here. I also bought the Zimmerman Cross drilled rotors and got the same kind of noise with them using ATE pads. Took them off and asked the guys at my local AutoZone just to put them on the resurfacing machine to see it they were running true. Well they weren't. Sent them back to where I got them from and they sent me a new set including new pads, SAME result! Only thing is this time if I looked at the face of the rotor I could see numbers of the drilled holes was scored badly on the leading edge, thus creating the whirring sounds and bad vibrations under heavy breaking (the rotors were warped again!). Each time I took care in "breaking" the rotors and pads in with no heavy breaking etc. for the first 200 miles etc. SO to cut a long story short I eventually bought a set of rotors and pads from the dealer. Now I have quiet breaking and LOTS of break dust but I do have excellent breaking!

So unless you get very soft pads with the Zimmermans don't waste your money! GO with Brembo or stick with dealer stock.
If that is the case, then i will leave it as it is for now. Next time when my rotors get completly F***** . i will go back to OEM set.