CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Neverending chip question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Neverending chip question.....

Does anyone have a SpeedTuning USA chip for an 01 CLK 430?

Does anyone have a Powerchip for an 01 CLK 430?

How has either worked for you, any pro or cons, personal opinions welcome.

Hey, thanks for listening.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Does anyone have a SpeedTuning USA chip for an 01 CLK 430?

Does anyone have a Powerchip for an 01 CLK 430?

How has either worked for you, any pro or cons, personal opinions welcome.

Hey, thanks for listening.
search under "Members" - Blackbenz - has a 99 with that chip - "PM" Him for his opinion.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I have a friend that has a 99CLK430 and got the Speedtuning USA chip....we tested the top speed governer that it was supposed to eliminate and it isd still there. He's working with them to see what the problem is. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
On a car with no modification a chip is a waste of money. Timing advances will get you about 5-10 horses at the wheels, max). Furthermore, if you ever get any real performance upgrades, you'll want to get it reflashed to take them into account.

Most chips are also mail order chips meaning they flash your ECU without even having your car on the dyno so it can be tuned to your particular car.

Save your money and get real mods, and then get some software that is custom programmed for your car while on a dyno. Then you'll be seeing real gains.

For a cheap mod, get the CLK55 airbox and some K&N filters. That combo is good for a dyno proven 15+ horses at the wheels.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I was pleased with it. I havent tried to test the speed limiter but I'll try when I get my car back. Anyway, even if what Josh K says is true about only being 10 wheel horsepower (I cant say for sure cuz I didnt dyno before and after), its only $200 cuz I started a group buy. $20/ rear wheel horsepower, I'd take those numbers any day .
Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I was pleased with it. I havent tried to test the speed limiter but I'll try when I get my car back. Anyway, even if what Josh K says is true about only being 10 wheel horsepower (I cant say for sure cuz I didnt dyno before and after), its only $200 cuz I started a group buy. $20/ rear wheel horsepower, I'd take those numbers any day .
You should always do before and after numbers, but you're right, $200 is a great deal. I guess I'm used to seeing other tuners ...cough...cough..renntech...cough... charging a grand for software.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Josh K

What do you consider a "real" modification?

I am just looking for better drivablility, not sheer performance. When I had my BMW I got the chip first then did the other mods to let the ECU recalibrate itself for the mod that was done. The only thing else I have planned is a CLK 55 airbox (if I can find one) and an exhaust.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
I would consider the airbox a real mod, and of course bigger things like superchargers, etc. (incidentally, a supercharger gives you more power throughout the RPM range which greatly improves all around drivability). To be honest there aren't a whole lot of "little mods" available for our engines.
You won't really see power out of an exhaust but the car will sound a lot better. Removing the resonator will make it sound even better and will free up a few ponies, especially if you end up going with a forced induction setup. If you could get software for $200 like blackbenzz, then I would give that a try (assuming they're a reputable company), but just remember that you'll never see the same performance from a "mail order" chip that you will from custom dyno tuned software. Other than that there aren't many performance mods other than a supercharger that are really worth the money vs. the power you will gain.

Suspension, on the other hand, has a ton of inexpensive to moderately priced to expensive mods, and as you know if you used to have a Bimmer, a great deal of drivability and driving enjoyment comes from the car's handling.

P.S. CLK55 Airboxes aren't too tough to find. I'll be selling mine next month when my supercharger goes on.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
I'm picking up what you are putting down Josh K, but I got this car with the intent not to spend a lot of money on the engine like I did on the Bimmer. I had camshafts, a fully custom exhaust, intake, big bore throttlebody, and a custom chip to bring it all together. Can I reserve your airbox now?
Old 06-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I agree with Josh K. If you dont want to spend big money on a supercharger, just get a chip and intake. If you want the car to sound like a beast, get an eisenmann race exhaust. And by the way, I'd do other mods before the chip because I know the speedtuning USA chip does NOT adjust itself for mods.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
So tell me b to the double z, how is your renntech intake working out? My plan is for an intake, chip and exhaust, much like what you have.

In what order did you have your mods installed?

Did you have to send off your ECU to speed tuning, and were they able to customize it to your mods?

How good is the evosport ignition working out for you?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
First off, dont waste your time or money on the ignition. I felt no significant difference. First thing I did was the renntech intake, I think this was one of the best mods i've done. Engine sounds a little better and felt alot faster. There has been a long debate about how the CLK55 intake is just as good as the renntech but I cant say for sure. Josh K will tell you they are the same but I truely believe there are subtle differences which may or may not provide more power. Personally I love the way it looks (carbon fiber) and am very pleased with it. I then got the eisenmann race exhaust. Sounds a million times better and I definitely recommend this exhaust. Once again, I didnt feel much power difference, just a little on the highway, but if you do this mod, do it just for the sound (dont expect a big performance upgrade). Then I got the ignition (junk, maybe a couple horses) upgrade. Then I did the ECU which I personally took to Speed Tuning USA (Its located in MD) and paid close to $350 w/ tax and shop supplies. This just brought it all together and made a big difference in my opinion. When I had my chip done I thought I'd give a shot at trying to get a group buy, and Oliver agreed. So, the chip is $200+shipping+shop supplies for a 99 CLK430. He will give a discount for any car so just give him a call and tell him you are part of the benz group buy and he'll hook you up. Do not get the chip until you're done modding, Oliver tunes the chip to your modifications. I hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Thanks alot b-bizzle this information is great and just what I needed.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
A lot of talk about exhaust...

I was looking at a Kleeman exhaust for my 430 and I was wondering what the general consensus was about other exhaust systems....

I am looking for an exhaust that provides a better look and also gives a nice clean roar when I decide to push the car ahead.... at the same time - i am not lookin for one of those american muscle car growls, i.e. that sound coming out of a mustang or vette... or from those lil toy japanese cars that sound like suped up vacuum cleaners...

so whose got what? and what do you think about the kleeman exhaust in comparison to what others have out there... supersprint, remus, eisennman etc...

Last edited by wnycec; 06-02-2005 at 11:27 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-03-2005, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
Eisennman sounds amazing. Get their race exhaust and you'll definitely be happy.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I also love the eisenmann race exhaust but if you dont want your car to sound like a muscle car look elsewhere. Lowphat has a kleemann exhaust and I havent heard WOT but it does sound good and not as loud as the eisenmann.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I have the Eisenmann performance exhaust which is supposed to be a little more quieter than the race exhaust and is their mid-level in in volume. It's hard to tell a difference from it and the stock exhaust under normal driving, except when you crank it up, but when you punch it you can certainly tell. I would HIGHLY recommend it.
I didn't want a loud vehicle but wanted an increase in depth and volume, so it's perfect for me.