CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Foglight change?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Foglight change?

How hard is it to change out the foglights on a 01 CLK430 with an AMG body kit?

Is it something I should let the dealer do?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
It's super easy if you have jackstands or a way of lifting the car.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Josh K
It's super easy if you have jackstands or a way of lifting the car.
I actually don't besides the jack that the car came with. But once I get it in the air what do I do then?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I actually don't besides the jack that the car came with. But once I get it in the air what do I do then?
Do a search for fog lamp / fog light and you'll find a lot of good descriptive answers. I had similar questions last year when messing with mine, both from the bottom (removing the plastic piece under) and from the front (removing the bumper).

I think both the 320 and 430 fogs come with those stupid clips though, so it could be a pain. If you have the AMG fogs on the kit then they probably have those screws in place instead, which should be easier.

Definitely search it up... I know there are a ton of answers around.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by viguera
Do a search for fog lamp / fog light and you'll find a lot of good descriptive answers. I had similar questions last year when messing with mine, both from the bottom (removing the plastic piece under) and from the front (removing the bumper).

I think both the 320 and 430 fogs come with those stupid clips though, so it could be a pain. If you have the AMG fogs on the kit then they probably have those screws in place instead, which should be easier.

Definitely search it up... I know there are a ton of answers around.
Thanks for the heads up. I sometimes forget that I can find all of this wonderful information with a simple search.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
One word of advice - do NOT get under the car using the factory jack - we don't want you getting crushed. At the very least, find a friend with jackstands and wheel chocks.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
I second what Josh said....that jack stand is a POS....used it a while back and the car rolled over ...almost crushing my leg...luckly I was able to grab hold of the rim and jam it in the wheel well before the car crashed down on the ground. OH yeah....almost ripped out my side skirts too....now a few of the clips are off...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:50 PM

CLK 320
Yep, a floor jack and some stands are some of the best investments you'll make if you plan to do any of this type of maintenance on the car. Add a decent torque wrench and a topsider, and you'll only visit the dealership to buy parts...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Now here is the next question, are the bulbs H1's or H3's? I say a couple of posts in the archives that said they were H3's so which one is it?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:46 PM

CLK 320
Now here is the next question, are the bulbs H1's or H3's? I say a couple of posts in the archives that said they were H3's so which one is it?
I could be wrong (fogs haven't burnt out in a while, for a change ) but IIRC they're H1s. You can go to the dealership and they'll give you the right ones by model, or you could order them from powerbulbs and they'll tell you what fits as well.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:13 AM

reading the posts here re: jacks...what about parking your car over a curb? That aught to give you enough room to get under the car sufficiently to change the fog lamp...cheap and easy.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:59 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by redbrick
reading the posts here re: jacks...what about parking your car over a curb? That aught to give you enough room to get under the car sufficiently to change the fog lamp...cheap and easy.
Sure it could work... just like your dentist could use a hammer and a chisel for a root canal, but wouldn't you rather he used the right tools for the job?

The panel under the car to get to is in the front of the wheel, so you'd have to have your head in the gutter (literally) to be able to get down there. And chances are you could use a jack and stands for your next brake job, or tire rotation, or oil change, etc.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 PM

Sure it could work... just like your dentist could use a hammer and a chisel for a root canal, but wouldn't you rather he used the right tools for the job?

The panel under the car to get to is in the front of the wheel, so you'd have to have your head in the gutter (literally) to be able to get down there. And chances are you could use a jack and stands for your next brake job, or tire rotation, or oil change, etc.
Haha...ROFL...that's true...he'd have his head in the gutter just to change that light blub...I can just picture that right now.... good one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
And if the curb doesn't work, there are other options . . . .

Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Haha...ROFL...that's true...he'd have his head in the gutter just to change that light blub...I can just picture that right now.... good one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
You guys are hilarious.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM

CLK 320
You guys are hilarious.
Yeah, but did you ever replace the foglights?

Your thread actually got me off my *** the other day and I ordered Philips Vision Plus bulbs all around from powerbulbs... replaced both fogs, low beams, high beams and corners. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2005, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Yeah, but did you ever replace the foglights?

Your thread actually got me off my *** the other day and I ordered Philips Vision Plus bulbs all around from powerbulbs... replaced both fogs, low beams, high beams and corners. Thanks!

Glad I could help. Not yet but I did order them, they will be here in about two weeks, I went with the Philips Blue Vision bulbs. I did however, install my LED city lights, clear bumper refelctors, and LED lights for those.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 AM

CLK 320
Well once again, less than 2 weeks after changing the bulb, one of my fogs is out again.

I changed it myself, being REALLY careful not to touch the bulb... used quality H1s from Phillips, etc. And this is after replacing the whole fog light assembly before when the bulbs kept burning out. I bet if I replace this one (driver's side) the other one will go in a few days.

I'm thinking there's some bad wiring or electrical problem with these things... the car has been doing this for a while now -- and of course the dealership doesn't find anything wrong.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Well once again, less than 2 weeks after changing the bulb, one of my fogs is out again.

I changed it myself, being REALLY careful not to touch the bulb... used quality H1s from Phillips, etc. And this is after replacing the whole fog light assembly before when the bulbs kept burning out. I bet if I replace this one (driver's side) the other one will go in a few days.

I'm thinking there's some bad wiring or electrical problem with these things... the car has been doing this for a while now -- and of course the dealership doesn't find anything wrong.

I am starting to think no matter what the brand all dealership are the same.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:29 PM

W208 55 & R170 230
Check to see if there is any sign of water in the fog light.,.,..!

it is one of the reason that will make your fog light keep on burning.,
Old 08-05-2005, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by mtimmy
Check to see if there is any sign of water in the fog light.,.,..!

it is one of the reason that will make your fog light keep on burning.,
Should he also check to see if the light is making a proper connection with the socket.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM

CLK-430
Ghostrider,
Where did you get the bulbs from? If I understood you correctly you said they wil be blue for the Fogs? Are they Halogen or HID? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by CLK430SuthernMD
Ghostrider,
Where did you get the bulbs from? If I understood you correctly you said they wil be blue for the Fogs? Are they Halogen or HID? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
The lights are called Philip's Blue Vision and they look the same as the HID headlights, a really bright white. They are regular halogen bulbs and I got them from autobulbsdirect.com.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 AM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
I've heard they're barely less "yellow" than regular lights and not worth it at all. Did you actually get these and put them in yet?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by jtbeche
I've heard they're barely less "yellow" than regular lights and not worth it at all. Did you actually get these and put them in yet?
Not yet but I sold my H1's to midget fidger and this is the messege he sent back to me:

Re: H1s

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

Got the lights yesterday and put em in...they match the xenons better than my LED city lights!

Thanks,
Jeff

Quote:
No problem, let me know when you get them and how they work out.

Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
You're all such ******. I want another post as well. I don't know what's gotten into me. You guys are addicting.. like crack!